Author Topic: Warranty not transferrable?  (Read 3791 times)

Offline logical

• Expert
Warranty not transferrable?
« on: July 05, 2005, 10:13:59 AM »
I was just reading the card that came with my R9s and it says the warranty is for the original owner only, not transferrable??????????   That seems like a very poor policy choice on guns that often change hands a few times before even being fired.

I know it may not be enforced but it is what the card says.  Is this something new?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 10:14:23 AM by logical »

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Warranty not transferrable?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 10:20:18 PM »
I was just reading the card that came with my R9s and it says the warranty is for the original owner only, not transferrable??????????   That seems like a very poor policy choice on guns that often change hands a few times before even being fired.

I know it may not be enforced but it is what the card says.  Is this something new?

To be honest I do not remember getting a card with my R9 last year?? I know it stated in the manual of the original owner warranty..
I do have all the faith that the brothers will make right with any problems-but I will agree that it doe's make one think.. :o

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 10:43:05 PM »
I am pretty sure, with a known history, that the Bros R would strive nonetheless to deal with any major problem.  They do have a superlative approach to customer care and I know it matters to them.

I cannot tho help but think of an extreme example here.  Let's say someone bought a LNIB R9 and then punished the heck out of it - I mean like countless 1,000's of rounds!!  While I know Eric's #1 has done extreme duty who is to say that a second owner might not disregard all recommendations re cleaning, lube, general maintainance and then have a problem due to this negligence.

It would be hard to then see total guarantee holding good for an abused pre-owned gun.  I make an extreme example of course.  I daresay - bottom line - if a gun that had been abused was returned other than from original owner, AND showed signs of severe abuse, I'd be on the Bros R side with regard to not having to make all repairs!!

Case by case basis this would have to be.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 09:54:58 AM »
I have noticed a trend in the industry to disclaim all warranties or severely limit them -- but stand behind the guns anyway.  This limits the companys' legal entanglements while still allowing them to give good customer service to good customers.

I don't know why Rohrbaugh chose this language, but I think it gives them a reasonable out if they need it.  Given their history of customer service, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:00:26 AM »
That was my thought (I wanted to say a$$umption but software didn't like it) too...that they would honor most any claim but have a legal out if an older gun had seen abuse over several owners.  If I am not mistaken, Ruger technically has no warranty at all but has always been good about backing their product.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 10:02:34 AM by logical »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 10:06:07 AM »
Ruger is one of the examples I am thinking of.

Kel-Tec is another example.  I believe the warranty is limited to the first owner, but they never ask for proof of purchase or whether you are the first owner when you send it in -- unless perhaps it is an extreme situation as previously mentioned.

I have heard tales that S&W operates in the same fashion.  I think it is common practice.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 10:13:16 AM »
Hey lodgical, thanks for the holster . I bought my two R9's used so my dealer would not have to get Omega locks,which are back ordered into infinity, to sell them new by Maryland law. Both were basicly NIB and I have no fears that if I had a problem they would take care of it within reason. ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Warranty not transferable?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 10:52:14 AM »
Larry Seecamp has only a one year warranty on his neat little pistols,  but I know for a fact, he will  warranty them forever.    According to the present owners attitude..
RJ=

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Warranty not transferrable?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 01:05:53 AM »
Ruger is one of the examples I am thinking of.

Kel-Tec is another example.  I believe the warranty is limited to the first owner, but they never ask for proof of purchase or whether you are the first owner when you send it in -- unless perhaps it is an extreme situation as previously mentioned.

I have heard tales that S&W operates in the same fashion.  I think it is common practice.

>>Lets not forget Glock...!  I recently obtained a well used G23 in a trade.  The gun functioned beautifully, but had a damaged frame due to worn out recoil spring and/or hot loads - causing recoil assembly to smash back into batter when fired = gouges in frame.  After speaking with a tech I sent the gun in for evaluation/repair along with a letter explaining everything...including the fact I was the third owner.  A week later I got it back with a new Gen 3 frame, a clam shell box with all papers and accessories...!...at NO cost to me...!!  Customer service does not get much better than that, and I will be a customer for life...!...TW<<