Author Topic: Primer on an AR?  (Read 15369 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Primer on an AR?
« on: September 15, 2004, 03:31:56 PM »
I know there are lots of knowledgeable people here...

I have always had an interest in ARs, but never taken the time to learn much about them.  Now, the the AWB at least temporarily gone, I have been thinking about one again.

I read a bit over at AR15.com, but it makes me dizzy.  Can someone give me the lay of the land.  I don't need an AR, but do I want one -- and what do I want?

I am interested in the 9mm carbine versions too -- because I could shoot it at the pistol range I belong too, which does not allow any rifle calibers.  Are they junk, or worthwhile?

Thanks for any info.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Primer on an AR?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 04:05:52 PM »
There is a BIG Gun Show in Lakeland this weekend, and there a lot of knowledgeable people there with AR's for sale.  It will be interesting to see what those pre- bans are going for..
RJ=

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 10:25:29 PM »
Having carried and used one in Viet Nam, I have zero interest in ever holding one again.

Now, an H&K MP5...that's another story.
Welcome home

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 11:09:30 PM »
The best AR for the price is probably Bushmaster.  Mine is a Bushmaster upper mated to a Colt lower.

Get a barrel with a twist rate of 1 turn in 9 inches for most general use.  The 1 turn in 7 inch twist rate of the A2 guns is really too fast.  1 turn in 8 inches is okay for really heavy bullets.

A heavy configuration, fluted barrel will give really good stiffness, better than the issue barrel, without the weight of an all-out heavy barrel.

Make sure the actual rifled portion of the barrel is at least 16".  Stay away from shorter barrels with permanently attached compensators to reach the federally mandated 16".  .223 really needs at least 16" of barrel to be effective.  It only loses 100 fps going from 20" to 15", but loses 300 fps going from 16" to 11.5".  Much of the complaints you hear about the ineffectiveness of the caliber in Afghanistan and Iraq are with the 14.5" barrel M4, causing the Marines to go instead to the M16A4, with all the M4 features but with a 20" barrel.

Get a chrome-lined barrel.

Despite the trend towards illuminated dot sights, I really think the basic iron sights are best, and for that reason my own gun has a fixed carry handle.  My front sight is an Ashley tritium post.  That means elevation adjustment is limited to full turns of 2 MOA each instead of 1/4 turns of 1/2 MOA each, but I still can sight in reasonably well.  Many of the illuminated dot sights will distort your visual acuity as you look through them (to the point that I can't even see the 100 yard bullseye that I can hit with iron sights), and a few will also cut light - not what you need at night.  I have had problems with Trijicon and C-more.  The Leopold CQ/T and Aimpoint are the best models I have seen, but I haven't actually shot with them.

If you do go with illuminated dot sights, get folding front and rear sights to go with it.

I like a Giles sling for serious purposes - the rifle hangs across your chest muzzle-down, and can be quickly raised to the shoulder for shooting.  It is very easy to get on and off.  A leather military sling might serve you better if your goal is competition.

My AR has a TACMIII light mounted above the barrel, in front of the front sight, with the pressure switch on the forward handgrip.  I may at some point switch to a Surefire model built directly into the handguard, but am in no hurry.

I have heard varying opinions of the Thermold magazines, but I have several and they work fine for me.  Don't clamp your magazines together - some users have problems with the magazines after doing so regardless of what they are made of.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Primer on an AR?I am
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 10:21:33 PM »
I am right in the middle of a trade right now, for a Bushmaster  AR15.  It is a carbine with A2 upper and 11.5” chrome lined barrel.

There sure is a lot of info on ar15.com.  It kind of makes  your head spin.

Bill

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
I, too, lust for one lately. Reading SWAT and tactical magazines gave me a pretty batch itch. But I've been questioning the practicality of owning an AR-15.

If I can legally use an AR-15 as a hunting rifle in public land I would buy one in a heartbeat. But Florida law limits max of 5 rounds in a hunting rifle:

"Prohibited centerfire, semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds. Prohibited non-expanding, full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer. Prohibited fully automatic or silencer-equipted firearms..."

Does the sentences above allow me to put 5 rounds in the 30-round AR-15 magazine and call it legal for hunting or not?

Has anyone used it to hunt in private land with good result? If it is good enough to be used to hunt down enemies, it is good enough to get some venison!

Also, how accurate is it as compared to a simple bolt-action hunting rifle such as the Remington 700 in the same caliber?

I note from AR15.COM that many people "build" these from kits for relatively cheep ($600.)

Thanks and Cheers!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 11:09:59 PM »
I scratched the rifle itch... a little... a few months ago, buying a Romanian AK.  I had it to the range once and it worked flawlessly, but I need more trigger time behind a long gun to get used to it.  The AK strikes me as tough, utilitarian, unpolished... and pretty darn good.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 11:31:52 PM »
Bill, Stay away from the 11.5" bbl. That is most likely why he is selling it. They don't run good, bbl too short. You have to drill out the gas port. Go with at least a 16" bbl. Anything you can do with a 11.5"bbl, you can do more and better with a 16" or 20" bbl.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 11:53:20 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  I appreciate your good advice.

My research was a little hurried.

Unfortunately, I have already committed to the trade.  It's a matter of doing what I said would be done.

It will just be used for fooling around and plinking, so it doesn't matter quite as much to me, as it might for a more refined gentleman.

I'll probably just sit in my leather chair holding the rifle, watching TV,  and occasionally roll on the floor making gun sounds.  ;D

Bill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 11:56:28 PM »
Ha Ha Ha Ha!  ROTFL

That is always fun until you wife gets home.   ;D
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 12:13:57 AM »
cuteo100:

This is not to start an argument.  And I admit that I am a "dinosaur" on this subject.  However, I won't use a semi-automatic weapon -- not even a semi-automatic shotgun -- for hunting anything that can't shoot back.  For things that can shoot back, I'll use anything I can get my hands on at the time.  

I think I first came to this way of thinking back in Germany circa 1963.  Because of a treaty then in force, I had managed to obtain a Hunter-Instructor's license while stationed there.  During the course of some of my hunts in the Black Forest area, I came to know a Forstmeister who was renowned for having hunted and killed a charging wild boar (keiler) with a spear planted in the ground.  (Under German Forestry custom, he was therefore entitled to wear the boar's brush and tusks on his hat at all times -- which he did.)  For me, it brought a whole new meaning to the concept of hunting.

The slight limp which I have on cold mornings these days is a legacy of that attitude left over from a hunt in the Challis Wilderness of Idaho several years ago.  But that is another story for another day.

Stay safe.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 12:16:05 AM »
Hmmm.  You can't just drop a great tidbit like that and walk away....  

Let us know the story in due course.  ;)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 10:01:50 AM »
I have many AR's and I 2nd the Bushmaster recomendation. Armalite makes a good one too.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 03:23:08 PM »
Well, I have my AR15 here now.

I'm so happy, I can't stand it!

Life is good.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com