Author Topic: Primer on an AR?  (Read 15373 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Primer on an AR?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 04:21:40 PM »
OK Bill - you know what's comin?? !! :D

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 04:30:31 PM »
Chris,

I'll try to get the close-up lens figured out, and post some things.  It may take a while to experiment.

Thanks for mentioning the subject.  Naturally, I'm very proud.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 04:34:07 PM »
Please allow a question about the AR-15.

I notice that the A3 upper handle can be removed, to reveal weaver type mounts.

Meanwhile, my new toy has the A2 handle, which stays in place.

Does anyone have a link to a dirt-cheap attachment for the A2 handle, so I can end up with a weaver mount?

First, I want to mount my cheap Red Dot scope, just for fun, and then perhaps get  an EOtech.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BlueGrips

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 06:43:31 PM »
cuteo100:
I won't use a semi-automatic weapon -- not even a semi-automatic shotgun -- for hunting anything that can't shoot back.  

Richard: Your point is well taken and with due respect. I also learned from another forum last night that using a tactical rifle such as an AR-15 for hunting is not ethically correct for the light round would just injure/wound the deer instead of putting it down where it stood. I now have my heart set on a Remington 700 chambered in 280Rem & a Leupold scope for the task.

Thanks!

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 07:23:27 PM »
Richard, thank you for the links.  I'm looking into it.

It's rather confusing, some  of this stuff.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 07:26:56 PM »
This device may be appropriate for the A2 handle.
BMAS Wide View Scope mount

Does anyone think this would be OK?

Thanks, Bill

http://www.bushmaster.com/electronic-documents/2005Catalogv1/Page%2071-74%20BMAS%20&%20Accessories.pdf
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 07:29:47 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 07:31:41 PM »
Maybe it would have been better to learn all about the AR-15 before buying one.   :)

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2005, 07:41:25 PM »
Bill:

Guns are like women.  You have to spend a lot of time with them before you really learn to know them.  You're doing just fine!  (At this point, once again, I dive for cover.)   8)

Cuteo100:

From your previous postings and their photographs, I knew that you were a man of exquisite taste in firearms.  The bolt-action Remington 700 is about as good as they get.  (Did you know that they offer a custom model . . . ?)  http://www.remington.com/firearms/custom/700custom_c.htm

Good hunting!   Or, as my friend the Forstmeister would say, "Weitmannsheil!"  :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 10:08:58 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2005, 08:42:53 PM »
Bill,

Before you buy ANY red dot scope, take a look through it while trying to read something at a distance.  If it is more difficult than with the naked eye, then don't buy it.

I've used red dot sights in the $200+ price range that don't even allow me to see a standard 100 yard bullseye at that distance, much less hit it.  I can hit it using iron sights.

Depending on your intended usage, your best sights may be the issue rear aperture with an Ashley post with a tritium insert.  That is what I use on my gun.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2005, 09:00:12 PM »
Thanks very much, Bill.

I just happened to have a $30 red dot scope from Gander Mountain.  I thought it would  be fun to mount it on the A2 handle, even though the red dot is not  the best.

Also, I was a little interested in the EOtech scope and was looking for a mount for it.  Certainly, there is a question about it being way too far up in the air, sitting on the A2 handle.  Pardon my terminology.

It just seemed like fun to have some optics.

I'll give the iron sights a good workout, although the old shooting eye just had cataract surgery.

Thanks again,

Bill

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 08:38:55 AM by Michigunner »

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2005, 10:24:04 PM »
Bill,

Other things you might consider:

1)  Switch to an A3 upper receiver.  You should be able to do this with all of your other current parts, although you may need a gunsmith to help, depending on what equipment you have and how comfortable you are taking apart your rifle.

2)  Get a forward handguard with a top weaver rail, and mount the sight so that it is co-witnessed with the iron sights.  Use the dot only for quick shooting and the co-witnessed sights for more precision.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 08:29:17 PM »
Bill,

Do you have a link to the place where you got the Ashley tritium post on the front sight of your AR-15?

I read a post on another forum where you said it installed easily.

Bill

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Primer on an AR?
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2005, 02:15:46 AM »
>>Hi Duane...

I too have a Bushmaster AR...set up similar to the one Bill describes, except I am currently using a 1.5 - 5X by 20mm Leopold on top with high mount scope rings (still have original folding sights on it which are usable).  I LOVE this gun...and with the leopold it is quite accurate out to at least 125 yards (max I've been able to shoot it at thus far).  The trigger on this beast is hardly crisp...but I got used to it...besides which for $100 you can get a nice drop in match-type unit...which I have yet to do as I don't need it.  Mine is a .223.

Now regarding the 9mm...  You might want to consider a Beretta Storm Carbine, which you can get in 9mm, .40, or .45.  I've heard you can buy separate uppers to allow you all three calibers, but I can't confirm this.  What I can confirm...is that in 9mm I have never had so much fun...!...and at easily half the price of your average AR.  I have used the open sights, Leoplod, as above, laser sights, and currently a halo sight - all with excellent results.  Matter of fact...just using the supplied open sights I can regularly hit a 10" metal pie plate at 125 yards fast (vs rapid) fire.  Regular = hits on nine out of 10 shots...over and over.  The gun really shines at 75 yards and under.

One of the many cool things about this gun is that it uses mags from a Beretta 92/96/maybe others...so if you are like me with half a dozen 92 high cap (15-20 round) mags for your pistol - then you are good to go...!  Check it out...!  You won't be dissappointed...!...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2005, 01:52:42 PM »
TW - another Storm lover here!!  I did slam a red dot on mine very quick - just cos of my usual probs with open sights.  It is a pleasure to shoot - the downside being the rapidity with which ammo can be all used up!! :D

The early fat red dor was not very good - I now have a fairly inexpensive Simmons which seems OK.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.