Author Topic: Primer on an AR?  (Read 15656 times)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Primer on an AR?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2005, 05:29:11 PM »
>>Chris - I've always known you are a man of good tastes...!  I currently have a combo on my Storm...is topped off with a Bushnell Halo sight which I love because it allows me to put both eyes to effect...watching the red dot as I swing around and the full landscape at the same time.  Then on the bottom rail I have an MP6 laser/light package...which is just darn fun and can be used in conjunction with the Halo.

Even though magnification with a scope brings out the pin point accuracy of this gun - I much prefer the Halo which I feel better draws out the potential for what this critter was designed for...know what I mean...?

AAAAAAAAND...  I find the Storm to be a serious home defense weapon being a carbine putting out a pistol caliber.  I would gladly pick up a Storm any day for just about any home or work purpose.

Regarding ammo...  I find it much cheaper to buy bulk 9mm than the .223 my Bushmaster eats.

You know, Chris...  Maybe we shouldn't tell Duane about the Storm??  You know - keep all the fun for ourselves...see...?  NAAAAAAA...that's just not fair.  Duane is a great guy.  But lets see if he will  bother to listen to us...?...TW<<
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 05:31:16 PM by TW »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Primer on an AR?
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2005, 09:08:35 PM »
My main gripe TW with CX4 is price - I got mine almost NIB so a bit cheaper than new but - I do think the gun is a tad excessive for price.

Put that aside tho - and I have what I call my ''Flash Gordon'' (some say Buck Rogers! LOL) piece of very useful hardware - and once held the ergonomics suit me well - and the look becomes replaced with just versatility and usefulness.

Some folks sneer at such carbines but for me they maximize the use of the humble 9mm - very useful velocity increase and rate of fire can also be quite impressive.  Further to that - I find as I expect you do too - the gun is very wieldy - even imagining use in a very tight space.

I am well glad I got mine.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2005, 10:13:24 PM »
Wow..
I cannot believe I missed this in the last 2-3 days..

Thats what I get for being busy.. ;)

I have recently gotten into the AR "trap" as of late.. ;D

A "trap" because you have to trick out whatever you buy-It is a Rule..Look it up.. ::)

I love the 6920-thats the A3 configuration,and you can put MANY extras with it..

I personally like the Aimpoint site with the B.U.I.S. A weapons light is a nice option also.. :)

Then you can free float the handguards and be able to put anymore needed things,such as a laser,upon the platform.. ;)

I shall stop now for brevity and to let the checkbook cool off. 8)

Mine is fun just shooting it with the iron sites too!! :D
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Beretta Storm...
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2005, 05:11:33 AM »
My main gripe TW with CX4 is price - I got mine almost NIB so a bit cheaper than new but - I do think the gun is a tad excessive for price.

>>I don't know, Chris...  What's the Storm retail - $500 - $600...?  That's about as much as a nice 9mm handgun...and easily half the price of an AR-15.  I don't think that is too bad myself...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2005, 01:33:41 PM »
Might just be a ''thing'' TW - because of all the plastic!! ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2005, 10:04:49 PM »
Bill,

Do you have a link to the place where you got the Ashley tritium post on the front sight of your AR-15?

I read a post on another forum where you said it installed easily.

Bill

Try here:

http://www.gunaccessories.com/ExpressSights/AR15.asp
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2005, 02:27:46 PM »
I got to shoot my friends brand new used storm yesterday.  He got an awesome deal on a very slightly used one.  I think he paid $350 for it with a rail, front handle, and laser.  It shoots great is accurate, we were hitting .223 casing taped to hang below our target at about 50 yards.  If not for the lack of funds right now I would be tempted to run out and get one.  I need to save up for an AK though since I have been told "they" are going to ban the importation of AK barrels.  So, if that is true I need to save up for a nice one before the prices shoot up.  Anyone else hear this?

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2005, 06:19:43 PM »
I think I would have gotten an "alert" email from the NRA about that, but I could be wrong.  I have a armory USA Ak that I'm quite happy with -- wasn't too expensive, maybe $800 -- it's milled in the Houston, with some parts from Bulgaria, so I don't know how it's classified.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2005, 09:49:37 PM »
Regardless of any scare stories - I do think it worthwhile to get the various things like AK's now - also some C&R's that seem so plentiful right now - will one day dry up.

Rocnerd - I'd say you did more than well on that CX4 deal - very well indeed.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2005, 08:43:13 AM »
Well my friend got the deal actually, but since he already has a Colt 9mm AR I think when the time is right and the initial romance is over with the storm I'll be able to buy it off him.  We will see.  Right now I need to save up the finances for the AK.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 10:01:10 PM »
Ahhh - oh OK - well let's say then that when he ''tires'' of it - he should give you one heck of good deal too! ;)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2005, 09:51:59 PM »
I finally ordered a Bushmaster  mount called A.R.M.S. #39A2 Bi-Level Rail which mounts on M16A1 and A2.

Now I'm hoping it will fit my plain old Bushmaster AR-15 carbine which has an A2 handle.

The A2 handle only has a single hole in the top, but I'm concerned the new mount may require one more hole on the forward portion of the handle.  That is, it may have two bolts, but the handle may have only one hole.

I'm hoping the forward bolt does not actually pass through the handle, but just tightens up a clamp of some sort.

Have any of you folks used a mount like this?

Sure don't want to do any drilling!

Bill
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:34:36 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2005, 02:31:13 PM »
I found that the ARMS #39 only requires one hole, so no problem.

We  ordered an EOTech 512.A65, Rev. F scope today,  which uses AA batteries.

I'll see if the accuracy compares to my R9S.

Bill

Offline mefly2

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2005, 12:16:02 AM »
Hear, hear for the MP5 or... how about an SP-89 with laser for around the house!

mefly2
   ;)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2005, 06:10:05 PM »
I've had about 10+ MP5's and 6+ MP5SD's, they are fun and great to shoot. Plus they sell well.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus