Author Topic: Registering R9 In MI..  (Read 2767 times)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Registering R9 In MI..
« on: October 22, 2004, 09:41:40 PM »
Picked up my Rohrbaugh today.. ;D

In MI we have to register (they call it a safety check) all handguns..They issue a "Safety Inspection Certificate" for each pistol at the appropriate law enforcement agency..

When I gave the R9 for registration the State based computer did NOT recognize Rohrbaugh..There was no "code" in the system for the manufacturer.. ???

I told the clerk that this was a fairly new maker, but I am sure that someone in MI has registered one before this..!

She did not have a code,so to proceed,she had to call the State Police records division to find out how to go forward..

The Records div. stated that they had NO record of this firearm being entered into the system.. ::)

MSP told my local PD that they would have a meeting on this and inform that a new manufacturer was "out" and a "code" would have to be determined..

My PD had to enter info by hand on 3 part Certificate that is filed and  1 copy to owner..

Either something is mixed up in the State computer or somehow the name Rohrbaugh name has not gotten into the system..  

I know that I am the First in my county to have one "safety checked"   8)

Anyone else in MI have this situation??
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 09:42:39 PM by Brenden »
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline FJC

• Expert
Re: Registering R9 In MI..
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 09:45:43 PM »
I went to my local PD in Michigan today at 3:45pm with mine - they couldn't find it in the system, either.  However, all they did was call the State Police, who told them to enter code "ZZZ" and put the manufacturer name in some "comments" column.  Only delayed me a few minutes...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 09:46:06 PM by FJC »
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 09:52:30 PM »
Yea---It did not take me much longer either..

But just seems a bit odd considering I KNOW there are others before us..I was at PD about 2:30 PM..

FJC-nice firearm eh!!
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 04:15:17 PM »
Glad you have yours Brenden ...... this ''not knowing'' deal is crazy .. I mean heck .... surely all they'd have to do to check would be contact BATFE ... poor ol' Eric has to pay his 10% Fed tax every gun ... so it has gotta be ''in the system'' .....

Ahhh ... beaurocracy .....  ::)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 10:53:32 PM »
I live in St Clair Shores, Michigan. My Kel Tec, 3 pen guns, and my Rohrbaugh are all "registered" as "zzz." What they do is under remarks is to type in the name.

The problem is that the software was written 10 years ago, and the state police never authorized an up-date. Instead they print and distribute a type-up list of new codes.

My R9s is SN 131. So when I walked in to the police station, I simply told them that I had another "weird" gun. In under 2 minutes I had a half-dozen cops looking at the gun.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 11:14:24 PM »
[size=13]The problem is that the software was written 10 years ago[/size]

Incredible George ....   ::) - whatever happened to annual upgrades <sigh> !!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.