Author Topic: Gander Mountain  (Read 2884 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Gander Mountain
« on: December 01, 2004, 11:48:39 PM »
I always heard people from the NE and Texas talk about Gander Mountain -- a sort of hunting/fishing/camping superstore.

I find myself in Akron, OH this week, so I took a trip tonight to the Gander Mountain in North Canton.  Pretty neat store.  What impressed me the most was the great prices.  The closest equivalent we have in my area is the Bill Jacksons Shop for Adventure--but the prices are sky high.

Here is a vote that Gander Mountain comes to Florida!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Gander Mountain
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 02:49:10 AM »
>>I never knew GM had stores...thought they did all their business through catalogs and the net.  Good news = through these latter avenues you DO have GM in Florida...TW<<

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: Gander Mountain
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 02:28:31 AM »
GM sold its catalog operation years ago. There are a bunch of stores in Michigan and they have always had great prices. My only bitch is that they use to have a great selection of handguns, but over the last five years toned down the selection.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Gander Mountain
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 06:13:53 PM »
>>George...  You say GM sold it's catalog operation years ago, but is it still trading under the name of GM via the catalog...?  Please explain...thanks...!...TW<<

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 07:08:27 PM »
All I know is the Minn based GM, that has a slew of stores in Michigan doesn't have a catalog or web operation. They do have sale flyers.

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 01:49:50 AM »
No - they are not 'trading' under the catalog - that was a different division subsequently sold, closed, and no longer running. The GM stores had an IPO in Feb. 2004 on NASDAQ and trade under GMTN.
I'm not sure how they are holding up stock-wise but their sales growth for one year is in the upper 30% range, I believe that they are the nations # 1 or 2 firearms dealers - they are watched very closely by ATF. I like their stores but if Cabelas was closer thet would win out in terms of gun-stocking and availability.
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor