Author Topic: Good Gun/Christmas Story  (Read 2352 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Good Gun/Christmas Story
« on: December 26, 2004, 04:01:33 PM »
When I was 13 my Dad gave me my first gun -- a stainless Ruger Single Six in .22LR/.22 Magnum with the 5.5 inch barrel.  I learned to shoot with that gun and shoot several times a month with it.

When I was in college, after my parents divorced, my Mom wanted a gun for home protecton, now living on her own.  The only gun I had for her was the Single-Six.  She never liked it, and neither her or I was happy trusting her safety to a .22 Magnum.  Money was tight, and the Single-Six was sold to a friend to purchase a .38 snub nose Taurus.  $200.

Now, 15 years or so later, I was missing that gun.  I have two daughters to teach to shoot -- and would have liked to have that Single-Six to teach them with.

Well...  That very same Ruger Single-Six sat under my tree on Christmas.  My wife tracked it down from the friend it was sold to -- and bought it back.  It had been fired a few times, but had everything it was sold with in basically the same condition.  Better yet, my friend sold it back to her for exactly what he bought i for -- $200.

I was moved.  A big thanks to my wonderful wife and my friend who did more than he had to...  Its a Christmas gift I won't forget for a while -- and its the only gun in my collection (mmmm--besides the R-9) that I can say I will never sell.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Good Gun/Christmas Story
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 10:41:19 PM »
Duane,
       This is what the Christmas "thing" is all about...Bet you kicked yourself several times over that sale.. ;)

What a GREAT present.. 8)

You have a great wife, and I believe you may "owe" her a bit  ;D

Merry Christmas and what an excellent gift..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 02:20:43 AM »
I doubt you'll ever receive a more meaningful gift. With one present you received many gifts - first, your wife's love, second, your father's gift is now magnified, third you got back what I'm sure are many happy memories, and fourth - you now have a meaningful heirloom with which to teach your daughters one of your passions and make more memories for and with them.

You are a blessed man.
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 05:58:29 PM »
Those of us who have wives who support and share our joy of shooting are truly blessed.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 06:54:01 PM »
Great result Duane ... you are blessed in many ways.  I have heard similar stories, just now and again ... and without exception there has been a ''joyeous reunion'' . :)

Kudos to your lady wife.  I doubt mine would have been quite so patient in tracking something down but - at least she is aux fait with shooting, supports my <cough!> ''habit'' .... and is well able to make use of her house gun ... a M66.

Let's here it for the dear ladies!!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.