Author Topic: The springs ???  (Read 3796 times)

Offline scaatylobo

The springs ???
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:19:35 PM »
Sorry if this is a question that has been worn to death but I am new here and just bought a new R-9.I read - with horror that the mainspring [ recoil,I mean ] has to be replaced after 100 rounds,that seems like it must be a VERY fragile part and is this so or are they being very careful ?.Thank you for any and all responses.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: The springs ???
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »
scaatylobo.  Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on getting the R9.  The Rohrbaugh manual suggest changing the recoil spring every 200 rounds, due to the fact this is a very powerful pistol in such a small package.  This spring is under tremendous stress.  

Really, not a big deal as you can get them from Rohrbaugh for $5.00 each.  The R9 is a defense weapon and recommended to be carried a lot and shot little.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »
I like to shoot my defensive guns a bit,but at 200 rounds per spring that wont hurt too much.And thoughts on lead bullets - IF there are factory loads ?.I would like to practice indoors on occassion.THANK YOU !!.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »
R9's can be a bit finiky on what you feed it.  Wouldn't use any lead rds.  I only use Winchester 115 gr. Silvertips, others here on the Forum use these as well and also get good results from Gold Dots, 115 gr, & 124 gr, Golden Sabres, 124 & 147 gr. and for practice Winchester White Box 115 gr.

Try these and use what works best for your R9.  I wouldn't try anything not recommended as you can get failure to fire, failure to eject, and stove pipes.  Save yourself some grief and use what's been tried and proven.  Mine is just over a year old now without ever a flaw.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline LRHogFan

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
After reading this thread and after a brief range trip the other day with a few failure to ejects, I decided to take my gun down and examine the spring.  While I have not put 200 rounds down the gun in the last year of ownership, it has been about one year and two months since I purchased the gun and have not changed the spring.  The old spring is noticeably compressed and I'm not sure if it will rebound to it's old length... I guess time will tell.  

I am going to replace the spring with a new one and maybe take a new range trip soon to see if this helps with the failure to eject problem that I experienced.  

I realize that I should probably develop a better practice regimen and to be honest I haven't carried the gun much at all due to the fact that I haven't been able to get a lot of time with it and the gold dot's.  I want to be 100% sold on the reliability of this weapon before I am ready to deploy it if needed in a potential life-saving situation.  

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
LRHogFan.  Hope everything goes well at the range with the new spring.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 01:57:35 PM »
scaatylobo, welcome to the forum and pup ownership, enjoy both. Try winchester white box for practice. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus