Author Topic: New One Coming  (Read 3159 times)

Offline 4mallard

New One Coming
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:32:49 PM »
Gentlemen (and Ladies, too, of course, if any be present):

Tom Watson informs me that my new R9s is on its way to my local gun dealer, and that it should be here tomorrow or Friday. Many of you have done business with Tom, and know what a class act that is, but for the newer guys, I being one of whom, I thought I would relate my experience.

Tom has a great Web site, and sells a number of different kinds of handguns, including on the best-looking SAA's I've seen. I had bought a Rohrbaugh knife from him earlier in the year, and the experience was most pleasant, so I e-mailed him one day last week about a new Rohrbaugh. He replied to say it would have to come from the factory, as he was sold out of 9mm's, but that it should be in by the end of the week. I went to my local dealer, with whom I do all of my business, and made the arrangements. I sent Tom a cashier's check, and we are in business. If you don't want, don't ask.

My thought is, any of us who want a new Pup, really should contact Tom first. The Rohrbaughs are so few and so sought-after that no one is going to get much of a discount locally, or anywhere else, for that matter, and if one has a local dealer with whom he does his business, they should make the transfer for him without skinning him alive. For instance, my dealer has a regular charge of $100 for such a transfer. After I reminded them that I do all of my business there, and have bought several guns from them in the last 12 months, they lowered it to $50. That’s still a lot, in my opinion, but showed at least a measure of good faith. I would think anyone might have a similar experienced with his local dealer.

Another fact is, Tom is a factory-authorized Rohrbaugh dealer, and as such, can get a pistol within a few days, as my own situation illustrates. My local dealer sells Rohrbaughs, but gets them through a distributor, and it takes them months to get one in. I’d rather do business with someone who can call Marie up and get one on its way the next day, and if he needs to, get one of the brothers on the phone. We’re a small, close-knit brotherhood here, bound together by these terrific little pistols, and those guys in Deer Park know it. They respond to the guys who know them and have been close to them from the beginning, like Tom Watson, and for newcomers like me, it’s a good feeling.

All of you fellows on the forum have been helpful and informative, and those with whom I've done some business, yankee2500 and Meco and The Irish Guard, have just been great. I cannot recommend you highly enough, for the high quality products you make and sell, and for being the kind of standup gentlemen with whom one wishes to be associated.

Kindest regards,

4mallard

"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)
Gunfighter Extraordinaire

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: New One Coming
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:36:36 PM »
4mallard, thanks for the kind words and your business.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:08:43 PM »
4mallard, Thanks for considering me in an elite group with Tom and Robert.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »
As my Irish grandmother would have said, "The cream always rises." Great review, "4mallard."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »
John, you are most certainly in that august group.

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »
Excellent review for Mr. Watson... 8)

I concur in the most positive way!! 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
4mallard.  Congratulations on the purchase of your new R9s.  You will certainly be proud.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »
Thanks, KJ. This one is going to Robar, or Robert Cogdill or someone, for some custom work, like the one Corey put up on the forum a few months back. I haven't yet decided where to send it, but it will then go into the safe, unfired, a show piece, if you will, at least in my mind. I have a third one coming, from my local gun dealer, ordered some time back, but when it will be here is highly problematic, so I will most likely have time to get over swallowing the custom work watermelon before I have lay out some more coin. Then, there's the matter of the Farmingdale blue grip I've started ruminating about...
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
4mallard.  Sounds like you have a plan.  Yes, the matter of the Farmingdale; can't say enough about those.  I've had mine for three days now and keep getting it out to look at.  Can't believe it's finally here.    
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
KJ,

Yes, it was your acquisition that provoked this most recent line of thought. Where does it ever end? In secula seculorum.

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
4mallard.  You are right.  It just goes on and on.  I'm working on a cure; not as yet perfected.

Offline cooperr1234

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 06:50:35 PM »
Welcome, I to am new here. I have my Rohrbaugh waiting for me to pick it up and I cant wait !! hopefully in the next couple of days it will be in my possession.

Offline prelude9569

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »
i too agree. i just purchased my first r9 from Tom a week or so ago and i could not be happier..enjoy it.
jeremy

Offline 4mallard

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
Oops! I mean, "Cogan", not "Cogdill". No telling what an amateur will say.

4mallard
"Speed is life."
James "Red" Best
RADM, USN (Ret.)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »
4mallard.  You are right.  It just goes on and on.  I'm working on a cure; not as yet perfected.

Exactly what is this "cure" that you speak of?? ;D
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe