Author Topic: ?  Am I the only one?  Trigger sticks ...  (Read 10955 times)

Offline CAB

?  Am I the only one?  Trigger sticks ...
« on: February 13, 2006, 02:27:00 AM »
After a few days and no response?  A truly unique problem I guess, but good for the rest of you.  Below is my post from a few days ago.  I have since dissassembled the right panel again, and reinstalled, still the trigger does not return after a single dry fire.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I guess I will have to call Karl...   Thank you.

Well, I just disassembled "the pup" for the first time.  More importantly, I thought I got it back together.  However, the trigger does not reset when I dry fire it. If I move the slide back an eigth of an inch, it resets.  I did take the right panel off for the inspection per the manual, so I backed the screws off thinking I might have over tightened-- still have the problem.  Any suggestions?  I am hesitant to shoot it without it functioning properly.  It worked perfectly fine before I cleaned it, after about 85 rounds.  Your input is appreciated,

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 01:19:52 AM by CAB »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Re: ?  Am I the only one?  Trigger sticks ...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 11:13:49 AM »
I'll state the obvious, are you sure you reassembled it properly?  I'd take it apart, and try again -- are there photos on the FAQ of how to take apart the trigger mechanism -- when I take mine apart, I had to remember to put the springs back correctly, and the transfer bar -- did you lube the grip panel, where the spring drags down it?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline CAB

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 12:50:01 PM »
Aglifter,

Thanks for pointing me to the FAQ resource.  After looking at the photo of the trigger assembly, I think I see the problem- I am not sure that I paid attention to get the spring looped back over the pin under the right side panel.  I will check it tonight.  Hey, I am the class of '86.  Guess I am living up to the stereotype.  Thanks for the input,

Brian

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: ?  Am I the only one?  Trigger stick
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 03:50:46 PM »
Aglifter has hopefully nailed it!

Certainly - be sure the spring location is correct.  Hopefully my pic on the FAQ will show it well enough to help.  If not just holler and I'll take a fresh pic in more detail.

Don't remember saying Hi Brian - so, welcome :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline CAB

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 12:25:14 AM »
Ok, stupid mistake.  Unknown to me, the spring popped off the pin when I placed the right panel back on.  The picture on FAQ helped a lot- thanks for the reference Aglifter, and the welcome R9SCarry.

Offline shortslide

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
I am having issues with my trigger reset.  Five years and all fine now this.  Maybe 1,000 rounds through this in five years.   I replace the recimspring when needed or every 200 rounds.  Not dry fire, which is fine.  I just dry fired twenty times, same beautiful trigger we all know and love. But at the range?   It started my last outing.  About 80 rounds fired with trigger failing to reset near the end of the session.  I would shoot the first round, then no trigger reset.  The second round was chambered.  But I could not fire.  So I racked the slide, ejecting the unfire round, then fired the next round.  Sometimes the trigger would reset, sometimes it wouldn't.

Today, I shot 20 rounds.   Five rounds per mag so four mags.   The trigger failed to reset every time. Except for the last two mags, where I would fire the third round, with the trigger resetting for the fourth round.  My last mag I shot the last three rounds with no trigger reset issues. 

I was tightening the grip covers after each mag.  Not that is was needed, but I checked anyways.  My grip screws seem fine and are not stripped.  I usually ensure the screws are tight after every second or third five round mag.   

I did not try loading the mags to capacity, normally shooting five round stings at the range.   Help appreciated.  I have a custom IWB holster on order for my new Python snubbie, as well as my soon to arrive Wilson Sentinel Ultralight 9mm.   Hopefully I can resolve this issue with my R9 (robar edition) or it will be retired from my carry rotation. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:01:30 AM by shortslide »

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
You might want to start another thread for your trigger reset issue..I don't know if you heard but Rohrbaugh pistols are no longer being made, all warrantee work is being done by Williams Gunsite in Michigan. 810-653-2131 call them they will make your pistol work perfect.

Offline shortslide

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »
You might want to start another thread for your trigger reset issue..I don't know if you heard but Rohrbaugh pistols are no longer being made, all warrantee work is being done by Williams Gunsite in Michigan. 810-653-2131 call them they will make your pistol work perfect.

Thanks for the info on Williams.  I posted this here to compare and contrast my problem with an issue the OP had due to his reassembly.  My thought was that maybe a senior forum member here might have an idea. That said, I will call Williams tomorrow when they open.  I really love my little R9 and its my only 9mm.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »
After 1000 rounds, how about a new trigger spring, which is more or less dynamically loaded and therefore prone to gradually progressive weakness (unlike a magazine springs which should, even when loaded and stored, remain functional)?  Just a thought, although I am certainly no expert.  Good luck!
Ps: Eric may weigh in soon if he isn't traveling.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:25:51 PM »
Yes, backupr9, I just got back from a short trip to Vermont. Anyway, shortslide. . . . . It seems your issue with the trigger not resetting, being so intermittent, may be simply a cleaning is in order. Pull the right grip panel off and if you have a cellphone camera, take a shot of that area so you see how the parts are laid in place. Pull the trigger spring off of the two posts and remove the trigger / sear bar. Wipe the bar down and give it a light coating of gun oil. With your finger, or a Q-Tip, put some oil on the sear bar and the triangle area of the frame, which is what the sear bar lays against and which activates the hammer when the trigger is pulled. Also remove the trigger from it's pin and clean the inside of the hole and add some oil to that also. Place the trigger back onto the pin. Oil the pin on the trigger where the sear bar goes. Put the sear bar back in place and reposition the trigger spring on the two pins being careful not to round off the pins. Place the other end of the trigger spring into the small hole near the rear of the sear bar. It is helpful to pull back on the hammer slightly to help the spring into position. Put some oil on your finger and apply the oil to the frame where the sear bar glides against. This helps reduce the drag of the sear bar between the frame and the grip panel. Install the grip panel and snug down the two grip screws but not so tight as to round off the Allen screw head. Hopefully this will remedy your problem. There is a special technic to "Tweak " the trigger spring, but I did every one of those by hand at the shop when I was building them and the correct curve is rather difficult to explain. With some patience, I'm sure you can figure it out if you are handy. If you still have an issue with the gun, I would suggest you contact Williams to see if they can assist you in making your R9 function properly and reliably for you. Good Luck with trying to do the fix yourself, it is a knack, but not too bad once you figure it out. I hope my response here is of help and of comfort to you shortslide. 

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:28:11 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline shortslide

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
Yes, backupr9, I just got back from a short trip to Vermont. Anyway, shortslide. . . . . It seems your issue with the trigger not resetting, being so intermittent, may be simply a cleaning is in order. Pull the right grip panel off and if you have a cellphone camera, take a shot of that area so you see how the parts are laid in place. Pull the trigger spring off of the two posts and remove the trigger / sear bar. Wipe the bar down and give it a light coating of gun oil. With your finger, or a Q-Tip, put some oil on the sear bar and the triangle area of the frame, which is what the sear bar lays against and which activates the hammer when the trigger is pulled. Also remove the trigger from it's pin and clean the inside of the hole and add some oil to that also. Place the trigger back onto the pin. Oil the pin on the trigger where the sear bar goes. Put the sear bar back in place and reposition the trigger spring on the two pins being careful not to round off the pins. Place the other end of the trigger spring into the small hole near the rear of the sear bar. It is helpful to pull back on the hammer slightly to help the spring into position. Put some oil on your finger and apply the oil to the frame where the sear bar glides against. This helps reduce the drag of the sear bar between the frame and the grip panel. Install the grip panel and snug down the two grip screws but not so tight as to round off the Allen screw head. Hopefully this will remedy your problem. There is a special technic to "Tweak " the trigger spring, but I did every one of those by hand at the shop when I was building them and the correct curve is rather difficult to explain. With some patience, I'm sure you can figure it out if you are handy. If you still have an issue with the gun, I would suggest you contact Williams to see if they can assist you in making your R9 function properly and reliably for you. Good Luck with trying to do the fix yourself, it is a knack, but not too bad once you figure it out. I hope my response here is of help and of comfort to you shortslide. 

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

Thanks for this write up.   I had removed the grip panel two years ago and took apart the whole mechanism, then had a devil of a time figuring out how to put everything back together properly - the spring was a tough to get back on.  I distinctly remember struggling with the spring for about 30 minutes go get everything back in place.  But I did because it worked like a top thereafter - at least until my trigger reset issue.

I took my R9 apart this morning.   The pic below shows how filthy it was under the grip, having never been cleaned or lubed.   I used my 10x loop to see if the two pins that anchor the spring had been damaged from my exploits two years ago.   You asked me to see if the pins had been 'rounded' but no damage thankfully.   Bet rounded pins would be a huge problem and difficult to fix without replacing the whole lower.   When I first opened it up, the spring was not attached to the rear hole on the sear trigger bar.   So I put it back in and then snapped the pic below.   And this explains why I had to rack the slide each time I fired.   I think the spring fell out near the end of my second previous outing at round 65 of 80, requiring me to rack the slide to reset the trigger for the last 15 rounds.   I remember the trigger not resetting on round 65, and then noticing that my grip cover was really loose.   I made the rookie mistake not tightening the grip screws.   Which (I suspect) allowed the spring coming off the rear hole of the sear trigger bar.  I stopped and tightened the grip screws.  But if I had instead opened the panel, I would have seen that the spring was not attached, re-attached it, and then the last 15 rounds would have been flawless.   But I really won't know if the simple and easy clean and lube fix has worked until I run a few mags this weekend.

So I cleaned and oiled everything per your write up, using Wilson lube and bore cleaner - nothing but the best for my daily companion.   Ready for my test fire this weekend.   If still a problem I will send to Williams.   I called them earlier and they think reattaching the spring, plus the clean and lube, will fix the problem.   

One final question.   Where is the triangle part of the frame you refer to above?   Is it the part of the frame that the sear trigger bar rests on and drags against each time the trigger is pulled?   So right behind where the sear trigger bar attaches to the trigger?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:47:36 PM by shortslide »

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
That is absolutely correct. That "triangle" is where the top of the sear bar rides against and eventually gets pushed downward to release the hammer once it gets to the farthest point rearward in it's cycle. Great observation there Sir! 

It looks like your R9 is in very good "crisp" condition looking at the slide rails, the trigger spring pins, etc. Nice job maintainer her.

Note: If you wish to make the trigger pull even smoother, gently polish the top of the sear bar area that contacts the triangle, but don't go too far with that as you will mess up the timing!  Just saying........... ;-)

Eric R.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:51:20 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline shortslide

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 02:23:41 PM »
That is absolutely correct. That "triangle" is where the top of the sear bar rides against and eventually gets pushed downward to release the hammer once it gets to the farthest point rearward in it's cycle. Great observation there Sir! 

It looks like your R9 is in very good "crisp" condition looking at the slide rails, the trigger spring pins, etc. Nice job maintainer her.

Note: If you wish to make the trigger pull even smoother, gently polish the top of the sear bar area that contacts the triangle, but don't go too far with that as you will mess up the timing!  Just saying........... ;-)

Eric R.

Eric,

I note you just got back from VT - hope you had a Heady Topper or three while up there.   I looped my trigger spring pins (looked at them under a high quality gem/coin collectors 10x magnifier) and they looked almost perfect.   Which I was thankful for because I really did struggle with the spring two years ago, discovering then that pulling the hammer back slightly helped position the sear when hooking the spring into the hole.   

A word on maintenance.  Right or wrong, some here (and I can't remember who) felt it was not nesc to lube because of the Robar NP2 finish.   So I did not lube this for the first two years I owned it.   I fired about 500 rounds with no lube anywhere on the gun.   Now I use Wilson Ultra II per the factory recommendations.  I clean it 6 times a year at least because I shoot it that often so no need to worry about accumulating gunk after 1 year of pocket carry.   I have regrettably dry fired this at least 100 times - did not know that was a no no.   Hopefully my firing pin was not damaged.  But if it was, I guess I would start to get light primer strikes and eventually the gun simply would not fire correct?   Is there any way to access the condition of our firing pins?   I suspect I am not the only one who has dry fired the R.

I will likely not polish the top edge of the sear as I am delighted with the trigger right now.   I suppose it could be better but I don't think I would notice it.   But I can see how polishing the sharp top edge of the sear would make it slide that much easier against the frame.   That just said, a drop of Wilson Ultra Lube II in that area every month might make the trigger slightly smoother as the lube would reduce friction between the frame and sear.  I might loop that area of the frame and see if there are any burrs or imperfections on the frame due to the sear sliding back and forth (and/or slightly up and down).  And while I am at it, will look each piece and check for rough edges.   Not that rough edges would lead me to polish anything - more of just an overall assessment of the wear and tear of 1,000 plus rounds being fired, half of those without any lube...

If my trigger is still not resetting on my range test, I will send it into Williams.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:38:24 PM by shortslide »

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 02:28:56 PM »
  Eric,
  I am basically all thumbs,but if I take just the grips off to see how things look,will I have springs and things flying around?Or will it kind of look like the pic that Shortslide has here?
      I am kind of curious how it might look.Things that have got me into trouble all my life and at times were costly,was a result of not adhering to,"leave well enough alone",and "if it works don't fix it".
                                                                                                                     johnny

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 09:04:55 PM »
Just be careful John when you pull the right side grip off. Sometimes, those pins can get worn and slightly rounded off, causing an issue putting things back together. I've had my share of using a small punch to "mushroom out" the top of those pins to keep the trigger spring in place. Not a bad thing to do, if you have the knack and steady hands. Just take your time and you should be fine. . . . . . It is, as you can see, an extremely simply design in there.

Eric R.