Author Topic: 9mm Titanium Instant Back-up Revolver  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: 9mm Titanium Instant Back-up Revolver
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 08:36:37 PM »
Try a 415T with 210gr. loads. That's what I call "snappy". ;D

Firing .41 Magnum 210-grain cartridges out of a 20-ounce Taurus titanium snubby . . . yep, that would be about all the misery I'd care to enjoy!  :o
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline LGW

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 03:32:14 AM »
Nice piece!  I looked at the Taurus catalogs, in 2005 they listed the 9mm IB frame in blue (M905I-B1) or stainless (M905I-SS1), nothing in titanium.  What is the exact model number of the titanium model?  Do you know the approximate weight?  Are the moon clips same as a S&W 940?  Do aftermarket j-frame grips fit?  I have been looking for a pocket carry for a while and prefer revolver to auto but always wished the j-frame was just a tiny bit smaller.  This is it; all I have to do is find one!  Does anyone have a clue as to why they would discontinue these?  Many thanks for any answers to my questions (especially the model number).  Larry in New Mexico  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:43:22 PM by LGW »

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 12:41:29 PM »
Hi Larry,

The model number on the box label is 2-905111SH

On the revolver itself, it is marked 905C on the crane.

Here's a link to it on their website:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=334&category=Revolver

That shows the model number is 905ICH/SH

I tried for a couple of years to get one -- never found a dealer or distributor who said they could order one while it was in production.  Not sure how many were produced, but it appears to have been very few.

Good luck -- it is a great little revolver.

The rosewood grips I installed ar e the ones offered by Taurus.  I have a set of Crimson Trace grips that work as well.  Any of the grips that will fit the small frame Taurus should fit this model.

Oh, although the website lists the weight at 22.2 ounces, my scale shows just a tad over 16 ounces loaded.

Regards,
Bill
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:48:17 PM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline LGW

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »
Hi Bill, Thanks for the info.  Larry

Offline tequilamockingbird

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 02:42:16 PM »
 Does anyone have a clue as to why they would discontinue these?  

Because they just didn't sell.

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 11:49:47 PM »
Fly, Now that's a nice wheel gun! More punch than a .38 sp, and alot nicer to shoot than a .357 snub. You either had to spend a ton of time on GB, or you just got lucky. Nice find, Congrats! I really like the look of the rosewood grips too. Alot nicer for carry I bet. Ever since seeing yours, I have put it on the "want" list.
Mark
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 01:43:34 AM »
I did get lucky on GB.com one day.  Then, shortly after i picked up mine -- One45 here on the forum found one on an auction site as well.

Those are the only two examples of this revolver I have seen.

For something that was discontinued "because it didn't sell" -- I wish I could get my hands on 50 of them...I'd be able to sell them all in a month to my law enforcement clients.

Offline tequilamockingbird

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 02:43:16 AM »
Just because I said they didn't sell (and what I should have said was in retail volumes to justify production) didn't mean I was slamming your gun.  I think revolvers chambered for auto pistol calibers are interesting, and I own several examples myself.

You can believe me or not when I tell you the shop I worked for had literally dozens of the Taurus 9mm revolvers (we bought out Taurus remaining inventory) and we couldn't get rid of them in late 2005 through mid 2006.

The fact that they weren't profitable to Taurus is quite evident when you look at their selection of small frame revolvers.  They are overwhelmingly .38 special and .357 magnum, both calibers that sell in sufficient retail quantities to justify all the variants that Taurus catalogs.  If all those potential customers would have bought them while they were available and in production, perhaps Taurus wouldn't have discontinued the 9mm revolver.

One45

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 08:15:40 AM »
It's official then:  New forum, 2 members of the Tit. Club.
Flyandscuba, you be the forum administrator and I will be the member.  Yow, that is very exclusive stuff.  However, will there ever be other Tit. members and we need a motto: "You can never have enough Tit. members?" ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:18:54 AM by One45 »

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 09:44:56 AM »
tequila,

No slam percieved.  However, the standard M905 built upon the full-size J-frame was common .  I saw many of those in stainless and blue and owned one previously.  The smaller, Instant Backup (shorter cylinder and smaller frame) version was rare and built only in very small numbers -- especially in titanium.

I didn't care for the standard steel J-frame sized M905 -- way too heavy for pocket carry....thus, I sold it.  I have a feeling that those are what you had in the shop -- two very different revolvers.

Regards.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:47:18 AM by flyandscuba »

Offline TW

• Grand Master
9mm Titanium Instant Back-up Revolver
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 02:23:20 PM »
>>Wow...  I would love to get hold of one of those Model 905ICH/SH, TOTAL TITANIUM, 9mm Revolvers...!  I have a nice collection of wheel guns, and my favorite is currently a Ruger SP-101 .9mm...which I often use for belt carry depending on my mood and dress.  The idea of a smaller .9mm revo for backup is really nice...!  Thanks for sharing, guys...TW<<

Offline road_king

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 10:28:42 PM »
When the Glock 19's came out many moons ago, I had a 9mm revolver to pair with my G19.  I thought this was the best combination in the world - same ammo and the revolver 9mm clips are really cool.  Then I had a couple of failures with the revolver - I had a couple of primers move toward the back upon firing.  That makes a revolver useless - could not get the cyl open without tools.  I loved that gun but I got rid of it - I think it was an S&W.  It may have been fixable but I did not want to mess with it!

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
I had a Smith and Wesson 357 Combat with a 6" barrel in stainless steel.  I used it for hunting and as a personal protection piece. When our place got broken into and the thieves were scared off by the Radio Schlock Security System, The Officer who came to investigate it showed me how they're trained to stick the web of their hand (between thumb and forefinger) into the breech between the hammer and frame so an attackers gun will not fire (assuming the hammer is exposed and the gun is in single action cocked mode or in the process of cycling in double action mode).

I thought a lot about this, sold the gun and bought a S&W Airweight with a concealed hammer (much easier to draw, and no chance of the hammer being fouled). Then a few years later a local Deputy showed how one can stop the firing of a double action revolver (most of the newer ones) by simply grabbing the cylinder so it wont rotate. This stops the gun cold (!). Ouch!

This was the main impetus for my getting a no-frills semi that would keep firing and would be hard to foul in a close situation.

Enter the R9.

I know one could theoretically foul the hammer on an R9 too, but the way it's shaped and positioned this would be extremely difficult at best. The gun is also so stiff and small that one cant push the slide back to defeat the trigger mechanism, like with other Semis. Anyway, sorry for the long-windedness, and I don't mean to bash revolvers (I'm in the market for a 1873 Colt 45 right now!) . They just don't make as much sense to me for CC / personal protection as the R9.

Hey, BTW When did Karl say they were going into production on an Unobtainium R9 frame?!?!? `:~>

Seriously speaking, I'd consider it a personal favor if a request for a Titanium frame was made by all forum members in any communication they have with Maria or Karl.....Thanks!

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 04:38:12 PM »
And one45, I'd be glad to join as a full member of the Tit. Appreciators Society!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 04:56:05 PM by shakermountain »