Author Topic: Question's  (Read 2101 times)

Offline garymass

• Expert
Question's
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »
Ok sorry to ask but since I only belong to 2 gun forums and this is the one I mostly visit I figured I would ask for some advice.

I am still looking for a deal on a R-9 but with a limit on funds I have been looking at another option for the mean time. I am trying to decide if I should pick up a seecamp .32 or the ruger lcp. I know the difference in caliber but these are within budget. This gun will be carried in the pocket when I can't carry my SW Airlite which is how my R-9 used to be carried but it took most of the duty. Reading on the seecamp forum it does sound like guys do carry the .32 and own a few. as for the lcp a lot now carry it and sounds to be a reliable piece though not as nicely made like the seecamp.

Anyway any suggestions guys is appreciated as I will possibly carry this also as a BUG while working also.

Offline dano

• Expert
Re: Question's
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »
This is just my opinion, but seriously look into the Seecamp LWS32. I carry the LWS380 and have owned two (2) Kel-Tec P3AT. The plastic gun is lighter, but larger. This thread should give you an idea: http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1297376106 Look at the picture at the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:35:05 PM by dano »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
Just my opinion, but I think that a 380 is really the minimum if you are carrying  one pistol.  You can carry the LCP as easily as the Seecamp.  Not as classy, but more protection.  Take q look at the S&W Bodyguard 380.  I have one and it shoots good.  It also has a built in laser if that interests you for under $400.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »
To me, there a couple of ways to look at.

Depends on your mode of dress most fo the time, which gets down to weitht vs. size.

If I wore jeans most of the time or even Dockers, I would go Seecamp.

If were were more of  "business attire" such as a suit or slacks, then I would go with the Ruger.
I dressed business attire for 20 years, and those with those flimsey pockets, weight matters day in and day out.  But then you can also have them customized like Richard S does.

Another angle -

Investment per se

I really doubt that you lose anything at all on the Seecamp unless you just emotionally involved and bought the first one you saw without doing your homework.

On the otherhand, the Ruger will automatically depreciate and there are a lot more out there to compete with when it comes time to sell.

Or - hey they are both small, deep cover guns, just go with what feels best.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:10:04 PM »
The LCP can be had from Buds for $290 shipped, (in Stock) the LWS32 will be $400 + shipping Used and harder to find.
  380 ammo is easier to obtain than 32 ammo and less expensive.
   I have had both guns and both are fine pocket pistols, agreed the Seecamp is going to be worth about what you paid for it (if you get one for around $400) and you can probably get $250ish for the used LCP.
  But for the $100 + difference in price and the availability of ammo and cost difference in ammo, I think the LCP is the way to go. Also the 380 vs 32 caliber.
  Just my two cents.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
The LCP can be had from Buds for $290 shipped, (in Stock) the LWS32 will be $400 + shipping Used and harder to find.
  380 ammo is easier to obtain than 32 ammo and less expensive.
   I have had both guns and both are fine pocket pistols, agreed the Seecamp is going to be worth about what you paid for it (if you get one for around $400) and you can probably get $250ish for the used LCP.
  But for the $100 + difference in price and the availability of ammo and cost difference in ammo, I think the LCP is the way to go. Also the 380 vs 32 caliber.
  Just my two cents.

Very good points indeed.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
First off, I explicitly trust the senior members on this forum.  I can see both advantages, but in the end what are you getting the gun for?  To resell, or to protect yourself.  Now, I realize this is a simplistic question, and most if not all of us consider the resell factor when buying any gun.  But, for the ~$100  difference you would be paying for the .32, you can buy quite a bit of .380 ammo, other accessories, extra magazine, etc…  It is well known that the best gun for personal defense is the one you have on you, so consider what you will likely carry the most.  I have a Kel Tec P3AT and with a clipdraw, carry it in the waistband of my shorts when I go running.  It is so light and very easy to tote, and very dependable.  Additionally, I believe there to be a far better/wider choice of quality .380 personal defense ammo on the street these days.  Seems like I recently read an article about some super .32 stuff so not counting it out, but I would consider the .380 to be the minimum for personal defense.  I say buy the LCP and take the extra $$$ and put it in the R9 fund, but I’m just a Toad….      ;)
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline garymass

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it...I look for strictly carry and not resale though wish I never traded my R-9 but it was worth how it ended up and I know I will have a knew one eventually even with all these new pocket 9's coming out.