Author Topic: Picked this up recently  (Read 12019 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Picked this up recently
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47:54 PM »
Gene.  There's your chance to get a #1.    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 06:03:23 PM »
You're right, Dan...That woulda been tough to resist if the desire for the gun was there...ya didn't have one yet...AND ya wanted a low serial number-shooter.
Like you, I am SOOO glad I don't have that conundrum to deal with!!

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 06:16:01 PM »
The problem I have with a specimen like this #1 Model 327 R8 is the fact it's so darn special.  How would I feel about taking it out and shooting it?  I think I'd be more likely to keep it in the safe for collecting, and take it out of the safe occasionally to show to friends.  It would help if I were emotionally invested in the gun too.  

Ironically I bought a R9 Special Forces last year which ended up being a limited edition, and I carry it in my pocket every day.  

That is one beautiful specimen though, number one, all the paperwork, the badge, box... it'll go for over $2000 which is double a plain Jane model.  

R9S and R9SF - Not For Sale

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »
That is hard to resist.  I did go looking yesterday for one and my dealer said today he could order one, of course.  I'm just finding it hard to justify since I have a S & W .500.  

The R8 is just different, I know; and that appeals to me, a lot.  The eight shots, the .357 mag, all enticing points.  Haven't ruled out ordering one.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »
Good to read there's interest in this unusual gun.  I really like it - because it's different.  And there's something about a revolver; the pull trigger go bang thing.  

One thing to be aware of: the new PC guns do NOT come in those aluminum PC cases!  To save money S&W dropped the aluminum case and went with a blue/gray plastic case.  

I thought that was unfortunate but then found this posting on another discussion board: The cases really weren't anything to brag about, dented easy, cheap latches/locks. I always thought they should have either used a better quality case or just kept them in the standard box.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:51:54 PM by DaninVA »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 06:51:18 PM »
I know.  The S & W .500 came in a blue suit case; huge.  That's OK.  It now resides in the gun bag with it's own sleeve, so it's comfortable.  I got tired of taking in and out of the case.

I am intrigued with the R8.   Amazing how something grabs you and won't let you go until you satisfy the desire to own it.  Just went through that with the Seecamp .380.  A month ago, didn't have any, now have three, and they're so scarce.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:56:50 PM by kjtrains »

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »
I think your 500 is going to be a completely different animal from this 357.  The recoil is minimal on the 357.  That 500 hand cannon is a real monster.
 :P

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
I've always wanted a .357 mag and have looked at the S & W Nighthawk.  Now the R8 comes along.  I have all the large calibers, but somehow skipped the .357.  Not that it is a large caliber, just didn't get one.  Did get the Glock 33, 357 Sig.

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
Just MHO...but I'd take that 327 TRR8 right in the front door of hell and not worry as long as I had enough moon clips.  It is just a MAGNIFICENT shooter...lots of confidence in this gun.

And, you're very right about the case, Dan...they aren't the best.  That's why my box went right back  into the cardboard sleeve and up on the top shelf.
Somebody will find it when I'm dead and turn it into a space patrol toy box. ;D

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 07:27:31 PM »
I think you mean the Night Guard?  I have one in 44 magnum (model 329) but it was unreliable right out of the box.  The factory fixed it (longer firing pin) but it took 7 weeks.  S&W may have released that line a bit too early - many new owners complained about FTF issues which is terrible in a new gun marketed specifically as a self-defense gun.  S&W made it right, and they have a lifetime guarantee including shipping both ways, but I'm not a big fan of the NG series because of my experience.  YMMV.

Now the Performance Center guns - different story.  So far no issues.

I like 357 magnum.  My first ever gun was a Ruger Security Six in 6 inch, and it withstood my introduction to reloading and many years of shooting.  I foolishly traded it for a 4 inch and then foolishly sold the 4 inch to a family member.  I have never sold another gun in over 30 years (and hope I never have to).  I buy guns, I don't sell guns.

Bought a S&W model 66 and I still have it.  A stainless .357 magnum in 2 1/2 inch.  Nice small powerful gun.  I had a gunsmith do the action and trigger.  There's nothing like a good S&W trigger (in my opinion).  

And now the R8.  

.357 magnum is nice in that you can shoot so many different loads in both 38 special and .357 magnum.    You can start a new shooter on 38 special wadcutters, then move them to a heavier bullet in 38 special, then +P, then if they're ready you can move to a light .357 magnum.  And eventually go all the way to a heavy 180 grain .357 magnum at 1300 fps.  All in the same gun.  I like that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:29:29 PM by DaninVA »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »
You're right.  Night Guard.  I knew it was Night something.  Here's one on GunBroker:

http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=168717568

I like the R8.  I don't ever sell guns either.  What I get, stays.  So when I make the decision to get whatever, it has a home.  Again, the R8 is definitely not ruled out.  

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »
Anyone happen to notice the Buy It Now price in the previous GB posting for the R8... phew.

Buy Now! Price was $3,990.00

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Ouch!  I wonder if it sold?  I guess not!  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:59:57 PM by kjtrains »

Offline kanuist

• Expert
Re: Picked this up recently's
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2010, 04:28:08 PM »
I have a similar S&W 8 shot.  It's a Performance Center 627 V-Comp.  The compensator makes 38's feel like your shooting a 22's.  

Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
Yes!  I like it!  Nice.