Author Topic: Boberg Xr9s shorty - Superior or just different?  (Read 30209 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Boberg Xr9s shorty - Superior or just differen
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2011, 09:55:49 PM »
You know you want one!    ;D  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »
I did until I couldn't answer the question WHY. I weighs more than the R9, I don't care that it fires +P ammo and it is not as pleasing to my eye, and I don't need another 9mm that too heavy for my pocket.  :'(
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »
I understand!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline skorpyd

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
Sounds like it may be getting close to release.
It will be found an unjust and unwise jealously to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition that he may abuse it.
George Washington

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2011, 09:01:52 PM »
I'm thinking the preorder could be anytime now!

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2011, 12:25:23 AM »
but, it's easy to get confused with "I'll carry this one (my new "Bad Guy Super Gun") today...'cause I got my new holster and ...whatever.  - hedrok

I think guns like cars, have for different people varying degrees of emotional or psychological involvement

I’ve heard people say that a gun is just a tool – that’s it.  But it’s not that way for all people.  I am not at all emotionally attached to my microwave oven, clothes dryer or cordless drill.  They are all just tools – supposedly like my guns and my car.

Cars are a good example – at their base level they are a transportation device and people shouldn’t be any more attached to them than the owner of a trucking company is attached to any of the trucks in his fleet or the owner of a limo service is attached to any particular vehicle in his or her fleet.

But people are attached to their cars and their decision to purchase their car had an emotional and ego component.

I think it’s the same way for a lot of gun owners.

I can see why you’d have a large collection of range guns,  - They fun!  I own a TEC-9M.  It’s fun to shoot at the range.  It’s a curious weapon to have and people at the range like to look at it.  But until zombiepocalypse happens, it has zero utility value.   It really has almost zero practical for me.  From a practical standpoint, I can’t see why someone would rotate through a bunch of carry guns.  Any training time you put in on one pistol takes away training time with another pistol.  I think the general consensus is, find a gun for carry, train with it and stick with it.  I think having a bunch of guns for carry is less about “tuning” your carry for any particular situation and more about just satisfying the itch to handle different guns.  It’s not practical, it’s just either emotionally satisfying or it’s gratifying for the ego.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2011, 01:30:47 AM »
What is your definition of "a bunch of carry guns"?
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2011, 02:39:53 AM »
First of all the Boberg is more than just different.

It has a longer barrel length that the R-9 and at these shorter barrel lengths - that is significant.

There seem to be endless posts on this forum about "which ammo is best in my R-9?"  And "Is the 115gr better than the 124gr?"  And when you go out and look at the test data - you can't even find people who test out of a 3" or less than 3" barrell.  So you sort of have to think - if you come across a test with a 3.4" barrel and it's at a certain velocity with certain penetration and expansion characteristics, you're going to get less impressive performance out of that round from a 2.9" barrel.  I'm just saying that the difference between a 3.35" barrel and a 2.9" barrel is significant - the difference between Boberg's design and the R-9 is not just cosmetic.  A longer barrel in an overall smaller profile - if it functions, is superior.

The second thing is, if you look at the ballistics tests, the differences between standard and +P loads is significant.  If we just stay with the Gold Dot which the Rohrbaugh seems to love so much...  

Speer 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot JHP +P:
3.4" barrel 1155 fps, penetration - 13.2" expansion - 0.62"

Speer 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot JHP:    
3.4" barrel 1068 fps, penetration - 12.6" expansion - 0.59"

So the ability to fire +P ammon is significant even within the same brand of ammo.

Another point is that there are just a whole lot of bullets that the Boberg would be able to fire that the Rohrbaugh cannot.  I think that's significant also.

Keeping in mind that Rohrbaugh has already come up with a functioning gun that is in production and has made it to the hands of consumers.

In some ways I feel this thread is not fair to Rohrbaugh...  I mean almost everything we say about the Xr9s is hypothetical... If it does this if it does that that, if it feeds reliably, etc, etc...

But in the context of what was asked in the OP...  if the Boberg makes it out of the factory, barring quality issues, I think it's not just different, it will be better.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:42:22 AM by C0untZer0 »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
The Boberg is still 17.5 oz with an empty mag now add 8 rounds of ammo, can you say suspenders. that's more weight than I want in a pocket pistol.
   If the Boberg needs to be carried IWB or OWB then there are a lot of better choices with higher capacity or larger calibers.
  It is different but for me thats all it has going for it.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
Well the the R9 is 13.5 ounces, the Boberg if it goes to production will be 17.5 ounces.  I thought, "4 onces is not gonna make my pants fall down."

So I measured out 13 oz of change, and I have an ammo wallet and I put 7 rounds of 124gr Nyclad in it.  Altogether it weighed about 18oz, just a tiny bit more than a Boberg will wiegh empty.

And I walked around with 18 oz and I don't think it's that noticable.  And I didn't think that another 4 oz would be noticable either, but it was.  Carrying 18oz in my pocket is not a big deal but for some reason - for me anyway, 22oz starts to be bothersome. It's not a back breaker, it's not like I wouldn't be able to deal with it for the sake of being prepared.  But 18oz is nicer.

To each his own pantalones !

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2011, 08:12:48 AM »
Whatever happened to the Boberg? The announcement about the possibility of taking orders, with full payment, is dated 2009!!! Right now, the website reads "available soon".

Is the Boberg EVER going to go into production? I don't care for the shorty but I would like to see the model that actually has a barrel extending beyond the trigger guard.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:15 AM »
I agree ACP, especially on a gun that small.  That is just asking for trouble.
 Even if you are not a proponent of placing a support finger on the trigger gaurd.  You need somewhere to park you support hand/fingers.  And that triggerguard is just too close to the barrel.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
That was my issue with it from the start. I think some people are starting to loose interest with the prolonged launch. ::)
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
I'll have to say, I'm in that catagory.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
As stated before, bringing a new gun to market is not as easy as the producers think.  Just ask these folks who thought theirs were to be at market anywhere from the last 1- 3 yearsish.

Vltor's Bren Ten
The New Merwin Hulbert
The New Auto Mag

Those are just what comes to mind off the top of my head.

The new Baby Brownings finally came to market - but why?
At $900 start and it goes up from there.
To me the SeeCamp make those obsolete- and a better, more reliable gun to boot.