Author Topic: Surefire Flashlights  (Read 9570 times)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: Surefire Flashlights
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 03:03:21 PM »
You get no warning whatsoever before your batteries die or your bulb burns out.  One minute the light works fine, the next it is useless.

I usually replace my batteries whenever I reset my clocks to/from daylight savings time, and replace my bulbs every other time, if it is a light I carry daily and therefore use occasionally.

This is why my most often carried light is my L4.  It is about the same diameter as the E2E and only slightly longer, but the LED will probably never burn out.  The LED can run on less than full power, and the digital circuitry in the lamp assembly is wired to provide 3 hours of light with an average of 20 lumens after the initial 1 hour at 65 lumens is used up.  The slight decrease in the ability to spotlight things at long distance is a worthwhile tradeoff for reducing the likelihood of equipment failure to almost zero.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2004, 08:39:02 PM »
Very, very, very  sharp drop off. One the beam gets alittle yellow, it is history.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2004, 11:04:45 PM »
Been thinking on this - pretty much as expected then .. rapid drop-off!

Decided to get an LED conversion head for my E1e ... don't want to carry anything bigger but - this'll safeguard against ''Murphy'' failure I think!  Thx for feedback guys.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 11:10:14 PM »
Chris,

See if you can get an L$ head for your E2E.  The standard LED conversion head for the E2E puts out a lower number of lumens for a longer period of time, and is more intended for utility use rather than defensive use.

While I am not sure I totally agree with this, Surefire says that 60 lumens is the minimum for defensive use.

The L4 head is different from the standard E2E LED conversion head in that it is intended to duplicate the defensive usefulness of the E2E fairly closely by providing an hour of light at over 60 lumens.

Offline Oscar

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2004, 11:14:47 PM »
I have just sent a Sure Fire E2e along with the SC3 spares carrier, a dozen batteries and a MN01 spare bulb over to a buddy in Iraq.  At last notice, he was 50 miles west of Bagdad and said he could jump in the Euphrates.  Sounds like Fallujah.  I wanted to order the E2d, but was told that there was a waiting period so the E2e had to do.  God bless the peacemakers.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2004, 11:20:41 PM »
Bill .. I only have the E1e ... and there's only one head option  for that.  I may yet go for an L4 or E2e one day but ... my small light lives by its clip on my left side belt .. it is unobtrusive, accessible and ...... even tho way down on output compared with the ''big boys'' has even so, surprised several folks (me included) with it incredible brilliance.

Focus may have much to do with it but .. look into it and - it hurts!!  It'll do me for now .. thanks for further feedback anyways.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2004, 11:29:55 PM »
Oops, forgot we were talking about the E1E here.  You are right, Chris.  It is quite good for its intended purpose even though not as bright as the others.

For me, the long, thin profile of the E2E or L4 allows it to sit next to my wallet in my rear pocket for easy withdrawal.  I also like the idea of being able to use the flashlight like a Kubotan/yawara/pocket stick.  An E2D (actually 2 - one for my wife as well) may be on my shopping list.  Unfortunately Surefire tells me they have no plans of offering an "L4D" or to sell the tailcap switch separately.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 11:30:42 PM by BillinPittsburgh »

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2004, 12:20:40 AM »
I use a 6z, m500a, and a x-200 for work, a pair of G2s around the house & a 3p in the car. I bought most of these years ago and just haven't had a need to "upgrade."
My x-200 if far superior to my Streamlight M3. I find the 6 & 9 volt lights plenty bright. I'm issued a Stinger and a Maglight but they suck compared to any of the Surefire lights.
I've never broke a bulb but frequently find myself replacing batteries (FL heat kills them rather quickly). I believe the batteries discharge some from the heat of being left in vehicles.
Am I missing out by not getting LED? Would the potential gain in battery life be worth the expense?
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 11:39:18 PM »
Yesterday I received a flashlight carrier from C-Rusty Sherrick.  Click on other products and than flashlight carriers.

http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/home.html

The carrier holds the light lens-up, which I chose because it will work with both the E2E and L4.  The carrier has none of the bulk of the Blade-Tech carrier.  Rusty has an L4, and I believe an E2E, and can make the carrier lens-down or lens-up, but generally makes it lens up.

Offline WERA49

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2004, 10:06:21 PM »
I just received my 2nd Surefire.  It is a G2 Nitrolon to go with my 9P (3 cell).  The 9P is home protection and is next to my HK USP-C .40.  The G2 stays in my vehicle.  

I'm also considering a LED conversion, but will probably buy another light.  I have two small (4 LED) flashlights that run on two AA's.  They are great for general purpose, but nothing else.
Rob
WERA49
NRA Life Member
http://www.AR-50.com

Offline Datan

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2004, 12:38:55 AM »
Through an order mix-up I received both a Z2 and a G2Z.  I had also ordered the P61 bulb (120 lumens) as an extra.  I decided to keep both the Z2 and G2Z.  The P61 - 120 lumens - is *very* bright.  Wanting to assess what the impact would be shining it in someone’s face, I tried it on myself - wow, that hurt... couldn't see much but a big white spot for several minutes and that was in daylight.. as it is being used for tactical purposes and sits next to a Glock with night sights, I think the 20 minute battery lifetime is a great tradeoff for the extra power.  The G2Z has the standard P60 bulb or 60 lumens.. I'm using that for more of a general purpose light.  The LED conversion sounds interesting.. I'll have to look into this option more.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2004, 10:39:55 PM »
I've been taking every opportunity I can to do some side by side comparisons of the L4 beam v. the E2E beam at night.  I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that there is no practical difference in the ability of the two lights to spotlight things at most reasonable distances.  This is the first LED setup I have seen that is really worth anything other than as a floodlight.

On another subject, another 3 D battery light with 10 LED's, advertised as having a constant run time of one-month on one set of batteries, showed some serious decrease in brightness after less than 10 hours of run time.  I'm starting to take more seriously Surefire's claim that other flashlight companies are providing exaggerated claims about the capability of their LED lights.

Now if we could only talk Surefire into making an L4 Defender . . .

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2004, 10:50:38 PM »
Got my E1e LED head thru a few days ago Bill .. and must say .. it is all I'd hoped.

OK, the E1e is only 15 lumens IIRC ..... even with special bulb but - the LED is surprising.  Beam is more diffuse and of course light is ''colder'' .... much bluer color temperature.

Amazing tho is that when shone direct into eyes ..... dang ... it is painfully dazzling - much is down to design of reflector and focus etc I guess ... and so as an ''offensive'' tool under duress, probably still very effective at dazzling the ''opposition''.  It is an expensive conversion but for me - well worth it ..... not only because still so effective but - the battery ''death'' will be slightly protracted .... giving time to install new before failure.

These are great flashlights .. no doubt about it.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2004, 09:22:53 AM »
I am doing a Surefire Review for an upcoming issue of Concealed Carry Magazine, featuring the E1e, E2e, G2 Nitrolon, G2Z Nitrolon, 6P and E2D!
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com