Author Topic: Important things to take to a gun class  (Read 3753 times)

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
Important things to take to a gun class
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:26:43 AM »
I have posted an article on the Warrior Talk News, that addresses things to take to a gun class, heat exhaustion, and many other things. I would love all of you to read and comment. Thanks.

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2011/05/important-things-to-take-to-a-gun-class.html
Dr John Meade
Director of Tactical Medicine
Suarez International

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Important things to take to a gun class
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:46:09 AM »
Very comprehensive with good ideas.

Big 10-4 on shooting glasses, mandatory!  I have range
 frag scars from my legs to my face.

I printed the list out for my next class down the road.

Thanks Bama!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
I have posted an article on the Warrior Talk News, that addresses things to take to a gun class, heat exhaustion, and many other things. I would love all of you to read and comment. Thanks.

http://www.warriortalknews.com/2011/05/important-things-to-take-to-a-gun-class.html

Excellent ideas, bama; all good reminders of what we should take along.  Good to read over those before going to class.  I have saved your article to favorites.  Thanks, as well.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:01:39 PM »
bama:

Those are very important matters to keep in mind. Thanks for the link.

Some if not most of us maintain what I call a "War Bag." Mine began life as a common range bag but grew in size and contents to include just about all the items mentioned in the article. Every time I'm headed to the range or the cabin, it's one of the first items for "grab and go."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 02:06:33 PM »
bama,
    Excellent comprehensive list of must haves.
 I would add one thing to the hydration aspect and that would be Gatorade or one of the other similar products, they give the body back Sodium, Potassium and carbohydrates that you wont get from water.
I agree that adding in something along with water is good when you are talking about a long day of sweating. I would caution you against using full-strength Gatorade, however. It has quite a lot of sugar in it. Obviously trouble if you are diabetic, but even if you are not, that much sugar dumped into the gut can actually cause diarrhea. Not what you want at the range! I think we have all seen triathletes and marathoners with stuff running down their legs years back. You see it less often now, because they drink stuff other than plain Gatorade. If you do use a "sports drink" in those situations, cut it in half with water.
Dr John Meade
Suarez International

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
Here is the content of a typical sports drink, and how you can make your own drink without all the sugar.

Sugar

Sports drinks have quite a lot of sugar, but interestingly they have only about half the sugar of most other commercial  blah blah ...snip...

The artificial sweetener in those suggestions is worse for your body than the sugar.

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
Guys, I didn't mean for this thread to take a turn toward the pros/cons of sugar and artificial sweeteners.  :-[

Can we focus on the issues I was actually talking about originally. Things that one should take and do to insure success in a gun class.
Dr John Meade
Suarez International

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »
OK, Done, sorry for the drift.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:36:40 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
That is a very thorough and complete list, especially starting with the first one. I was firing in my initial CCW range qualification when a hot load blew one of the wooden grips off my BHP .9mm. After much persuasion I convinced the instructor to allow me to continue the class. Without my Gold Cup in the car the rest of the list would not have been necessary.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:09:31 PM by tracker »

Offline bama

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
That is a very thorough and complete list, especially starting with the first one. I was firing in my initial CCW range qualification when a hot load blew one of the wooden grips off my BHP .9mm. After much persuasion I convinced the instructor to allow me to continue the class. Without my Gold Cup in the car the rest of the list would not have been necessary.
I took a friend with me to a rifle class a week ago. I insisted that he bring 2 similar rifles, just in case. Sure enough, his AR started jamming the first afternoon. He was able to complete the class with his backup. It was only at the range a few days later we discovered his buffer was damaged. Easy fix, but even easier to grab the second gun and continue the class.
Dr John Meade
Suarez International

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
I agree 100% on the Backup.

Even though quite expensive, I have at least one set of backups for every set of guns I shoot in competition.

They have saved my bacon many times.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE