Author Topic: ''The draw'' ..... with an R9  (Read 9588 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
''The draw'' ..... with an R9
« on: May 24, 2004, 01:48:45 AM »
Just one other thing to think about.

As with any very small piece ... access to it is important ..... by which I mean speed of retrieval ... or if from holster per se .. speed of draw.

I strongly recommend those with an R9 to pay close attention to not just how they carry it but ...... how fast and efficiently you can get it into play.  I am practicing with access from pocket (holsterless) .... access from pocket with the K&D pocket holster and .... access from the belt rig (K&D also) .... which still needs broke in a bit.

On balance I will prefer to draw from belt rig ... it is way more instinctive for me .... but I find some practice even with that method is essential.  It's one thing to have just about the smallest 9mm package there is ..... but another to be able to bring it into play quick enough.

Practice - as ever - essential.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: ''The draw'' ..... with an R9
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 03:03:29 AM »
Pocket holster carry for me.  My mode of normal dress (business casual) limits my options.  Ankle holsters, belly bands, underwear carriers, etc. are a poor choice in my opinion.  Belt carry isn't a good option for this gun for me.  If I'm dressed in a way that provides concealment of a belt rig, it will be with a larger weapon -- such as my HK P7.  The R9s will take the place of my KT P-3AT as a back-up in that situation..... as primary, when it is all I'm carrying.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 08:00:37 AM »
Typically, I will carry my Rohrbaugh in a pocket holster, but I intend to get several belt and IWB holsters also.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 08:43:47 AM »
Pocket carry is my preferred method.  There are pluses and minuses for sure.  I detailed them all in an article I wrote in this month's Concealed Carry Magazine.  I will try to host the article somewhere on the web so I can link to it and you guys can read it.

One thing about pocket carry -- it may be a bit slower, but you have the advantage of a very casual "at ready" condition.  You can have your hand in your pocket in a near firing grip and look non-threatening -- giving you a real head start if you need it.  Everybody knows what you are doing when you reach under your shirt to your 5:00.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 10:04:06 PM »
I think no one can have a worst problem with their CCW than the folks in Ohio.  I can't quote the law verbatim, but it's something along the lines of this.  When carrying with a CCW, in a vehicle, the weapon must be IN PLAIN SIGHT !  So pocket carry is not allowed when in a vehicle  ??? ???
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 08:10:31 AM »
You are right RJ. When in an auto, the holstered bun must be in plain sight. It was requested by the Ohio Highway Patrol.

It shows me that building police stations along a freeway isn't a bright idea--too many fumes affecting their brain.

I very dumb idea--an accident waiting to happen.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 02:00:02 PM »
Great way to scare the sheeple too.  

That is bad from every perspective -- from tactical to common sense.   Great way to make you a target and escalate a confrontation.

Again -- the only people with guns hidden from view will be the people that you have to worry about to start with.

Dumb.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 03:57:57 PM »
What is concealed carry magazine? is it a new publication?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 04:45:31 PM »
Yes, it is a "grassroots" magazine -- not one of the big publishing houses.  You can read about it at www.concealedcarrymag.com

The subscription price is a bit high, but these guys are trying to get a start and make a go of this thing.  E-mail them and they will send you a sample issue -- probably the one with my article!

Tim Schmidt, the editor, is a very nice guy and I really hope they succeed.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 05:23:28 PM »
 8)

I will do that.

I have alway's wondered why there was not a publication on exactly that! concealed carry,,,

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 07:32:05 PM »
Thanks for the "heads up" on this publication.  I've ordered my introductory issue!
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Meggacatz

• Proud Daddy!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 10:33:39 PM »
Here in west central FL it's sometimes difficult to carry and not "sag" or "print." I usually wear cotton shorts without a belt. A quality pocket holster is going to be needed. I could carry a P32 loose behind my thin wallet in my front pocket. But the P32 belt clip is sometimes even a better option. I haven't carried my R9 on the street yet because of some extraction/feed problems (not as reliable yet as I hope it can be). I expect to carry my R9 in a pocket and a P32 as a second.
Keep watching, I'm bound to do something stupid again.
R9 #11x

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 11:40:12 PM »
Meggacatz .. hey ...... welcome! :)

The ''Concealed carry'' magazine ... I like it a lot.  After the trial first issue i signed for 2 years . expensive it is but ... I have been in otuch with Tim and he seems a very likeable guy.  I'd like them to succeed and so feel that for a coupla years they need all the support they can get.

Daunting venture - new publications........ look forward to next issue.  Duane .. enjoyed your write up in March/April issue.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 11:58:55 PM »
Thanks R9SCarry!  

Yes, the editor Tim Schmidt is a nice guy.  If you are the kind of person who would buy an R-9 because you like the Rohrbaughs and their company, you should definitely subscribe to Concealed Carry Magazine.  Do you understand what I mean?
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 12:10:26 AM »
Do you understand what I mean?
100% my friend .... as you can see!  Just where I'm comin from! ;)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site