Author Topic: R9S Range Test  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
R9S Range Test
« on: May 25, 2004, 11:31:18 PM »

Richard_s
Message Board Member
Username: Richard_s

Post Number: 290
 Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:26 pm:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a test posting, my first on this board, and is presented because my friend, R. J. Hedley, has vouched for the site.  The text is from a posting I made on the NAA Message Board, of which I have been a long-time member.

I finally got to the range this afternoon to test fire my new R9S against my G380. Two friends went with me, one a Deputy Sheriff and the other a retired firearms instructor for the Police Department. It was a great session with a lot of 9mm, .380, and .40 brass collected on the tarp.

Shooting from 7 and 10 yards using a Regional Law Enforcement Academy silhouette target, I ran 54 rounds through the R9S before my right hand began to complain. I started out using Winchester 115 Gr. Target/Range FMJ ammunition and then switched over to Remington 147 Gr. Golden Saber JHP. The felt recoil of this little cannon with both loads was impressive, but seemed to be noticeably more so with the Golden Sabers.

The first two rounds were errant and wound up on opposite sides of the target in the "2" zone -- "anticipation of recoil," my instructor friend chided. After that, I settled down and managed to keep the next 52 in the "5" zone (center mass). The trick is just to relax and then point and shoot the little beast, keeping both eyes open and concentrating on the front sight. The trigger pull, which I originally estimated at about 8 pounds, seemed more like 10 toward the end -- due, no doubt, to hand fatigue.

After I had worn out my right hand, the instructor tried the R9S -- all six shots grouped nicely in the "5" zone, of course. When he turned around and handed the empty R9S back to me, his words were: "That's a nice shooting gun."

My two friends, both of whom are IDPA competitors, then put their weapons of choice through the paces. They are both very good -- particularly the former instructor.

By then, my right hand had recovered most of its function and I told them I had another pistol to shoot. Pulling my G380 and its Hedley holster from my pocket, where they habitually reside, I said, "This is my 24/7 gun." Instructor: "Are those silver grips on that thing?" "Yes," I replied. Instructor: "And Gutter Snipe sights?" "Yes," I replied. Instructor: "That's a beautiful holster." "Thank you," I replied. "Now, let's see if I can put 6 more rounds in the "5" zone. Luckily, I did.

So there it is. The first range session with the R9S. Only 54 rounds run through it, FMJ and JHP -- but many more to follow. No malfunctions. "Noticeable" but manageable recoil. A very impressive up-close-and-personal handgun.

And, as usual, the "Early Bird" G380 was flawless and shot where it was pointed. A very impressive up-close-and-personal handgun.

Now, for the cleaning. The G380 was field stripped, cleaned, and reassembled in about two minutes. It took me 20 minutes to do the same with the R9S. Granted, it was the first time with the R9S, but getting that pin back into the gun is a real trick. Until you get the hang of it, you almost feel as if you need a third hand. One thing is certain, the R9S is not a gun you should plan to field strip in low-light conditions.

Subject to further testing, I am prepared to say that the R9S and the G380 are a potent combination. I think I'll by carrying them both. As to which one will be the "backup," I haven't decided.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: R9S Range Test
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 11:46:32 PM »
Welcome to the board Richard, and thanks for the info.  I read and occasionally post on the NAA board as well.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 01:11:53 AM »
Welcome Richard ...   :)

You may like to browse my own range report ... with ammo comparisons .. so here's the link if you haven't found it elsewhere .....

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=81781

Thx for your report ... all input is most useful I think we'll all agree.  You'll find some other comments here re various aspects .. grip etc.

The reassembly of the pup is indeed something that needs development of a ''knack'' .... but to me that is not a problem ..... just practice.  As I mentioned elsewhere ... the alignment of the spring assembly rear dosk is quite critical so it enters frame easily.  The pin .. well yeah .. not easy but .... there is a way to hold the gun with one hand and keep the holes aligned .. again ... practice ... it does get easier.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 07:29:52 AM »
DDGator & R9SCarry:

Thanks for the welcome.  And, R9SCarry, thanks for the link to your very informative range report.  I've got to get my hands on one of those chronographs.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 10:47:44 AM »
Last night at my IPSC shoot a friend had a chrono set up.  Just for kicks, I chrono'ed my CZ P-01 with some Winchester White Box.

I was surprised to get a 10 shot average of only 1080fps -- not much more than the R-9 as tested by R9SCarry.  

I like WWB, but it is loaded a little lighter than I would have thought on subjective impressions.  Heck, it would not quite have made the powerfactor for "minor" in IPSC, measuring just shy at 124.5.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 02:21:43 PM »
Thing is tho Duane ..... WWB was the only ammo IIRC that came up to the power factor of the Golden Saber in my tests .. about 275 ft lbs.  It also did give a low spread figure too.  It'll still be there with my more fave ammo's, certainly for ball. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.