Author Topic: Is the R9 too "finicky?"  (Read 7555 times)

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
Re: Is the R9 too "finicky?"
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 01:41:34 PM »
haha my nick comes from my video gaming days.  It's meant to sound intimidating.  You guys insinuated that it was shooter error from the very start.  I'm merely responding to that by defending myself, yet you guys still imply that it's my fault or that it could be my fault.  I've had plenty of witnesses and even another board member shoot my Rohrbaugh.  

On page 11 of the failure thread, I posted that they offered me a full refund.  On page 9, I stated that Eric agreed to reimburse me all shipping costs.  The visit to the factory was my suggestion because I may be up in NYC to visit Columbia and NYU in the spring.  However, Eric was gracious enough to offer to come pick me up in NYC.

I'm not the only one that can't get through a single magazine.  Jax had problems with the first gun, and 5 range officers at American Shooting Center in Houston, TX couldn't shoot the second one reliably.

I'm just trying to exonerate myself from fault.  I don't know what exactly is causing the problems, but I do know that it's not me.

One last thing that I wanted to add:  I'm not the one giving up on the gun.  I'm willing to try another gun, but I understand Rohrbaugh's position.  They are obviously cutting into their margin on my gun.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 08:42:46 PM by Incursion »

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 11:52:33 PM »
It is possible that I have shot a bit over 3,000 rounds through my R9s (Sorry Eric... I know you told me to carry a lot shoot a little!!!).  I did have a few ammo situations in the first several hundred rounds but I now KNOW that I was running my baby too dry.

My customary guns are Glocks, Makarovs and Keltecs - I seldom clean them and they work perfectly!  In the spirit of FULL disclosure however I have sent nearly all of my Keltecs back to the factory and had them perfected after the first few hundred rounds...  

Although I am not nearly as accurate of a shooter, at this point, as I used to be - the Rohrbaugh is capable of PHENOMENAL accuracy for such a tiny piece.  I seldom remember my dreams but I did have an interesting dream last week where, in the dream, a dozen of us Rohrbaugh owners got together at a dirt pit where I sometimes shoot and had a 300 yard Shoot-Out against One Gallon Water Jugs.  

The terrific design and the fabulously well perfected tollerances allow this fine piece to shoot far more accurately than another gun of similar size is likely to perform.  Many SUPERB pistols and rifles, made for supreme accuracy, happen to be made or modified to very strict tolerances.  These tight tolerances tend to eliminate functioning wiggle-wobble which extends longevity, as mentioned before here, and such tolerances also tend to make each Cycle-of-Action more similar and more repeatable.  

I have exceptional results in mine with the Winchester White Box, 115 gr fmj that was sold by Walmart last year!  The new WWB being currently sold is two-tone and not quite as accurate as last years ammo - although the box is printed the same.  Both last years and this years WWB have been perfectly reliable for me.  

I have shot a few hundred rounds of Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point in 124 into water bottles, butcher waste, pumkins, watermelons, large Korean cabbage and into a big tub of home made Knox Geletin and the GDHP standard pressure 124 has performed admirably as to expansion - getting to 3/4 inch average diameter as a rule.  This same Speer GDHP, which I purchased some thousands of rounds of from AmmoMan, has also proven to be perfectly functional as well.  

I think that the Rohrbaugh is not "finicky" in my mind but rather - it is a machine of nearly divine perfection as an engineering marvel.  I like such things.  I like to "tweek" almost every fine piece of machinery I have, my car, my other guns, my knives, my home, my computers, motorcycles, clothing, shoes, and the list goes on.  The Rohrbaugh comes already tweeked to the max as far as I can tell.  

I think that there is a common thread that runs through most of us here on the board; we generally appreciate fine machinery and seek to improve upon it for our own use in most cases.  We have owned and do own a considerable number of other fine guns and many of them we have customized for better performance.  We appreciate that the Rohrbaugh Brothers have built and custom finished a machine that is UP TO OUR STANDARDS OF EXCELLENCE and we find that remarkable, refreshing, commendable and very, very, valuable!

I've not made a habit of brevity in my speech or writing - in most any area!!!  ;D

I think I speak for all of us in saying - Try It and we think you will love it.  Let us know where you reside, where you travel if that pertains, and if possible one of us will likely try to meet you and let you pet and shoot one of our babies!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 08:54:34 AM by Mr_Jody_Hudson »
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 12:20:42 AM »
I take it then Jody - you quite like your lil' pup!!!! ;D ;D

Quite right too!

(watch those ''U'' turns ya hear!!) :D ;)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 01:28:25 AM »
Chris... It's quite fit to shoot!   ;D

U-Turns are in good order and well practiced!!!  ::)

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »
It is possible that I have shot a bit over 3,000 rounds through my R9s (Sorry Eric... I know you told me to carry a lot shoot a little!!!).  ;D

3000 ROUNDS?  Mr. Jody Huston, you are the MAN!! How long have you had yours.  I've had mine about 4 months and have only about 200 through it.  How many rounds do you typically shoot it during a single range outing?  I shot 40 rounds through mine (2 boxes of GDHP) a couple of different times and that was PLENTY!  I don't even have close to 3000 rounds through guns like my Ed Brown Kobra Carry or Glock 19.  I usually don't put more than 50-100 rounds through any ONE pistol when I go to the range but shoot that many rounds in usually 4-5 different guns per range visit.  I think the most I shot one gun during a trip to the range was 300 rounds each in my Kobra Carry and CQB Compact.  I'm thinking about getting another R9 and a left pocket holster so I can carry two.........
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 12:03:41 PM by sharp »

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 01:34:37 PM »
Two R9s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regarding shooting...

I try to shoot every day or at least 4 or 5 times a week for a couple to three hours each time.  

Regarding my R9 - I have done a lot of testing of many different types of ammo in numerous of my pistols and in my R9 more than any recently.  Two tests were done with a chrono and many more without.  I've had mine since about the start of this board in time frame.  I got one of the first relatively speaking...