Author Topic: R9 -- First, Second & Third Shoots  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: R9 -- First, Second & Third Shoots
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 11:48:34 AM »
I'm also thinking about checkering for my R9S.

The problem is, what would be applied to the frame in that area?  Would it be anodized?  Would the whole frame be coated with some new substance, like some extra hard material.

Bill

Offline FB3

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 01:40:58 PM »
Checkering the front and back straps is a very popular modification to 1911's.  Everyone that I have seen that does this work requires refinishing for aluminum frames.

Another consideration is the thickness of the metal.  Some pistols do not have enough material in the straps for checkering.
Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is awfully high

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Fourth Shoot
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 08:02:16 PM »
Thought I'd close out my "getting acquainted with the R9" thread by relating my cleaning & post-cleaning firing experience for any of you newbies.

Here's a little tip to keep you fellow newbies from feeling like an idiot -- you don't need the channel locks to DISassemble the recoil assembly.   I'm sure you old timers will be laughing -- I had fixated on the pretty pictures of the channel locks nicely compressing the springs, and spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get a hold of both ends while the unit was still in the slide.  Ah, well.  Now I can smile, but 24 hours ago I assure you I was not. :)

Anyhow, cleaning was routine after I reengaged my brain.  I felt virtuous having found some SuperLube at our local Alaska Industrial Hardware store.  A little bath in Hoppes #9.  A little blow drying.  A  judicious slathering of grease.  My patented hypo-applied oil drops here and there.  My recoil spring was only one round shorter than the new one, so I left it in.  Everything slipped back together nicely and off to the range for firing number four.

Nothing much to report on the firing.  Another flawless 14 rounds.  Wiped him down.  Stuck him in my Bianchi #215 shoulder rig.  That's a total of about 150-175 rounds without any hint of trouble, so I'm calling him good.  I plan to run a magazine through about once a month, but other than that he's now "on duty."

Any hints from you wiser heads on long-term program of care, feeding & firing?

Thanks for all your friendly posts.

Michael Hildebrand
Juneau, Alaska

Excellent!!Another pup put into service!! 8)

To me it sounds like you have everything going as it should be!!
Thanks for the reports..It is very good to hear.. :)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 09:21:24 PM »
bluegun:

I may have posted on your thread without first welcoming you to the Forum.  If so, I apologize.  Welcome.  And thank you for your report.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 10:38:04 AM »
You may want to ask R bros is they'll refinish the gun for you if you have it checkered -- otherwise I'm afraid you'd either not have the color match around the checkering, or you may get the slide rail out of spec, if the entire gun is redone
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.