Author Topic: First time with my new R9s  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Guinnessdog

First time with my new R9s
« on: May 12, 2006, 01:27:14 PM »
From the first time I heard of this gun, I knew I had to have one. I've been drinking the Kool-Aid on this forum, trying to get as much info on the pup as I could before purchasing.

After some searching, Arego's in Hot Springs, AR said they had a "factory refurbished" gun available, and would I want one of those? Full factory warranty would be in effect, and the gun looks like brand new. Usually I always buy new, but I wanted one real bad, so against my better judgement, I said OK. Price delivered was $888.

The gun arrived yesterday and I immediately took it to the range. Cosmetically, the gun has two small scratches on the trigger guard and  some wear on the barrel hood, but was otherwise flawless. Not exactly as flawless as I was led to believe, but it is a used gun. It came with the black grips.

This was the first time I had actually held one of these in my hands. I was most struck by how smooth the grip area is. I immediately thought "skateboard tape is in order!"

I was also struck by the obvious quality, but - and don't get me wrong - it has an almost toy-like feel to it. Not because it is a toy, but I think because it is so light and fine. My normal carry piece is a scandium S&W J-Frame .357, and while it is very light at 12 ounces, it is ugly enough to have a sort of nasty quality. The R9s is not nasty at all, but its nickname of "pup" is very appropriate.

Anyway, I stoked it with WWB 115-grain ball. I know, it likes Gold Dots, but this was redily available and inexpensive for break-in purposes. The pup went through the first mag without a hitch.

Recoil was much less than I was expecting. I found it quite tolerable, and I have every expectation of breaking the "carried often, shot seldom" philosophy - I expect to shoot this gun a lot. But then, I actually like to shoot +P .38s in my scandium J-Frame, so there you go.

There were two hangups on the second mag, rounds 2 and 3 failed to feed properly. This is not an easy gun to clear of malfunctions. The lack of a slide stop makes the recoil spring fight you as you try to get the jammed round out.

I wasn't too concerned, because I could tell I needed to grip the pup better. It is so smooth and the bore axis is high enough in relation to your hand that it feels like it's trying to wrench itself out of your grasp with every shot. Not uncomfortably so, just like trying to hold onto a fish that wants back in the water.

I put on a golf glove and shot the next 30 rounds or so with perfect functioning. A good grip is clearly vital, and the grippy glove made all the difference. I dropped the hammer on an empy chamber every time the magazine was drained - the lack of a slide stop will take some getting used to!

A friend wanted to compare it to his Kahr PM40. Side by side, the R9 is a bit slimmer and lighter, and the Kahr feels positively clunky when you pull the slide back as opposed to the silky smoothness of the R9.

He fired two magazines. I encouraged him to wear my glove, and when he didn't, I knew he would have malfunctions. He did. They were the same feeding problems I had before I put on the glove. When he handed me the gun back, I fired my remaining 8 rounds without a hitch (grippy glove on).

All of my rounds hit about 5 inches low at 21 feet. I think I'm pushing the muzzle down at trigger release. Further testing is required...

Disassembly for cleaning was a snap, but getting the recoil spring back in was a challenge. No way am I going to let pliers near this thing, I don't care what the owner's manual says!

I'm off now to the hardware store for some skateboard tape and the elusive "SuperLube!" Happy shooting, everyone!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: First time with my new R9s
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 02:14:53 PM »
Guinnessdog:

Allow me to be the first to welcom you to the Forum and to the club of R9 owners.  And thank you for the excellent range report.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Seven

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 04:26:31 PM »
Welcome indeed!  You'll find that whatever grip option you settle on - tape, slip-ons, et cetera (your glove was a good idea!) - it will make a world of difference.

Be sure to get one of RJ's take-down tools, too!  Makes the whole process much easier.

Enjoy that pup!

Like Science Fiction?  Read my novel for free:  
http://www.communionofdreams.com/

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 05:34:43 PM »
Better get the tape, a perp might be tipped off if you wear a shootin glove all the time! Just kidding. Glad the first time out was good and welcome! ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Guinnessdog

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 05:49:48 PM »
Good thinking, if I'm seen walking around wearing one glove all the time I may be mistaken for a certain perverted pop singer...

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 06:07:46 PM »
Guinnessdog, Welcome and Good Luck with your R-9. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 06:47:15 PM »
Just got my "pup" from Arego's as well. Refurbished, same $888.00. I got the sighted version. The only wear i could see was a scratch on the trigger guard, otherwise, perfect and could have passed for new. Cudos to arego's and Lisa!.

I was a bit skeptical about this as well so I called Rohrbaugh first to verify. They gave Arego's a glowing review so I did it.

Tested the gun out the day I got it. Im overjoyed with the feel, and fit of it. In fact, It's in my back pocket as I type.

First impressions were not so good shooting it however. I tried Winchester SXTs, ( reccomended in a magazine article for the pup), Hydrashocks, Remington golden sabers, and S& B hollowpoints. The gun choked on all of em. Horrible reliability.

Then I gathered my thoughts, stopped sobbing at the thought of throwing away $888.00 and thought well, I can sell it on a forum or at a gunshow. I was disgusted since Ive been lurking on this forum a while reasearching Rohrbaughs and bought the gun having never seen one in person on the pretense that it would fit my backpocket carry prefrence. Now I had the gun of my dreams, (perfect size, great ergonomics, and authoritative calibre) yet it didn't work. I decided to give it one more try with the gold dots. A hasty trip to the store and I picked up 115 grain and 147 grain, (no 124s available) and a box of plain ol full metel jacket round nose. I thought, well, it was never advertised as being "ammo specific" I.E.: Silvertips only for Seecamp, but i really wanted this gun to work so I tryed em even though I figured it would choke on them as well.

I WAS WRONG. Fortuanatly! With Golddots it ran 100 %. I will now only be using Golddots in it, and it is now my favorite gun, and only carry piece as I will be selling various other weapons no longer needed.  I could not be happier with the Rohrbaugh, Arego's, or the salesclerk from Arego's "LISA".

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 08:37:53 PM »
Welcome to both of you and your new R9s.  Nice reports.  Yes the pup can be ammo sensitive.  I only use golddots - and sometimes Winchester silvertips.

Join in often with the discussion.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 08:39:45 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 11:11:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm glad you got it working fine with Gold Dots.

Please post often.  Glad to have you here.

Bill