Author Topic: Proper Lube of the R-9 -- this is a MUST READ  (Read 15387 times)

Offline Wayne

• Expert
Re: Proper Lube of the R-9 -- this is a MUST READ
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 10:16:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum sslater!

I've not had any experience with slide glide, but it has been discussed in an earlier thread.  The link is here.  It is possible in the interim that someone else has experience with that product on the R9, but it's only been a few days since that post.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 10:41:44 PM »
Hey - welcome Steve! :)

Read thru some stuff from my FAQ site - various things there might interest you - plus links to other things re R9 too.

I reiterate my one main premise (and I haven't used this slide glide as yet) ...... which is - persistance is essential, but without hopefully excessive viscocity drag.  Add to that hopefully some additives like teflon, moly etc - something that remains even if actual grease per se has ''gone thin''.

Eric may read your question (when the poor guy has time to drop by here!) but for reasons of diplomacy does not post here.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 11:52:34 AM »
Hello Steve,

"Slide Glide" must be synonymous with Michiganders, I too have been using Brian Enos products on my semi-autos for a while, and have been very happy with his lubricate.  I'm anxioiusly awaiting my R9 like yourself and so many others, and I will use the Slide Glide on it as I've have on all of my weapons. I've used it on the Sig, PPK, Glock, Gold Cup, Ruger MKll and all of my shotguns and rifles. I've purchased all three grades of his product but have only use the S-G#1 which is the standard viscosity, it is IMO a excellant product. For those that might be interested his website is www.brianenos.com, or 877 219 5598.
You know eventually, there may be enough of us " Michiganders" to take over this Forum!!  ::)
mismatch

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 02:11:16 PM »
Mismatch, Why would we let that happen!!!! Remember be polite.    Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 06:01:27 PM »
LOL, ... Tom,.. I'm always polite, and I have gotten even more polite since I've been carrying   ::)  I was surprise at how many forum members where from Mich. There must be a message there or something?  As far as taking over this forum, it would never happen, who could run it any better than Gator?  He has done a superb job, as have all the Senior members for their contributions, I only hope I can contribute as much!

Fred
mismatch

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 06:08:22 PM »
Hey, I though my ears were burning...  Thanks for the plug.  As you say, this is a great forum because of the great people that hang out here and share their wisdom.

8)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 08:46:10 AM »
I just read on the Superlube site concerning the specs that the Superlube grease has a shelf life of 24 monthes. I have never heard of a grease or oil having a shelf life. Does this have ramifications if you use it at 25 monthes? For those that have this grease, is there an expiration date on the container?

Although I, also, have not seen a stipulated 'shelf life' on oils or greases, I have has tubs of axel grease 'turn' presumedly from bacterial activity.

So, I emailed Super-Lube about the business of some idea as to 'expiration dates' etc., on those products and am awaiting the response which I will post here when & if.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »
Skyhook,
I will be looking for Super Lube's answer to you.  In my garage I have cans of Lubriplate, Moly bearing grease, and the old fashioned 'long fiber' bearing grease.  When I moved last year, I opened the cans and found them all to be in good shape.  
These days I use Moly grease for most all my automotive requirements.
Being a card carrying pack rat, all came with me to the new place.  Makes you wonder if Super Lube is just trying to sell more product...
BTW: I took a glob (a precise scientific measure of volume  ;D)of Super Lube and a glob of Slide Glide on a plate and cold soaked them in the freezer @ -10 degrees F.  They started out at about the same viscosity as measured by (another precise scientific) toothpick pull test.  After a day in the freezer, I found the Super Lube & Slide Glide to pull about the same.  But the Slide Glide thinned out quicker.  Significant?  I don't know.  If a pocket carry gun gets down to -10 F., the carrier may have more trouble than just a bad guy.
For now I'll stick with the Rohrbaugh recommendation.

I suspect that all of the modern lubes are damned good in protecting the moving parts.  I won't be using that gun show "real mil-spec" WW II gun grease in the little olive drab bottle.  

sslater

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 05:33:06 PM »
"For now I'll stick with the Rohrbaugh recommendation." -sslater

I have little doubt there may be equilivent lubes out there, myself, but, as you stated aptly, the smart thing is go with the mfgr's recommendations.

A parallel to this-- I just replaced my hydrotherm heater/air conditioner and the upstream filter recommended by the installer is a 40 micron screen-- I was going with the 100 micron version, but---- I went with the recommendation to be in line with what the folks 'in the know' recommended.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2005, 05:58:36 PM »
Another ? that has been raised before and I do not believe has been answered all the way as yet..
Most of the SL grease is "food grade" is this what everyone is using?
I know that they also sell a,I believe is a higher temp grease..
Most of whats for sale is the food grade,I have found..

Could this have something to do with the 2 yr "limit" ??

Brenden

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 02:53:51 AM »
All food grade grease means is that it's free from bacteria and it's non-poisonous -- I use what is really just vaseline all the time, but a much more expensive, NSF approved form of it.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 07:31:01 PM »
I figured it was non toxic for food grade reasons - sure would not want to eat it though.. :o

I was also curious on the 2 yr "limit" too.. ???
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 08:16:18 AM »
Reply from Super-Lube

Hello (Skyhook),

We have a batch code system…If you offer us the batch code on the container we can offer you the information you are seeking. Please reply directly back to me so we can assist you and thanks for your patience. Also I would not be too concerned about our published shelf life as the material will work fine for many years. Super Lube is synthetic…We publish a shelf life as there are many companies that do not properly store lubricants and over time these variables can cause the material to break down.

As an example…if you store drums of grease outside. We hope this assists you and if you need to speak with me please call me or contact me directly and thank you.

My Best,

Sal Randisi

Super Lube/Synco Chemical Corporation

800 420 5823 Office

516 982 5587 Mobile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 7:42 AM
To: info@super-lube.com
Subject: Shelf Life found.. New question..

Ok, I did find the 24 mos. stipulation in the spec chart... now, is there a definite 'expiration date' or some such on the containers of the grease and oils??

Thanks once more,

Skyhook
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting. Comments, anyone??

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 12:16:56 PM »
Sounds fair enough to me.  I think this is another case where manufacturer bases their ''use by'' or ''best by'' dating based on absolute worst-case-scenario.

With even just sensible storage I'd say the shelf-life is much closer to infinite for most of us.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 04:54:03 PM »
I agree.