Author Topic: Proper Lube of the R-9 -- this is a MUST READ  (Read 15386 times)

Offline st_albert

Re: Proper Lube of the R-9 -- this is a MUST READ
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2005, 09:42:19 PM »
Hello all,

If you're like me, and have had trouble finding SuperLube locally but were to lazy / paranoid to order it over the Net, I just thought I'd pass this along.

I was in Wal Mart this evening, and happened to notice in the sports section, with all the muzzle loader accessories, a "Thompson/Center Super Lube with PTFE."  Looking on the back, in fine print, it says "Super Lube is a registered TM of Synco Chemical Company," so I am hoping it is the same Super Lube that we're talking about in this thread.  Anyhow, I bought some and will try it.

Previously, I've been using an automotive grease with Moly (molybdenum disulfide), which works but is quite messy.  At least PTFE is not black.

Albert

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2005, 10:30:28 PM »
Probably same stuff.

I am no tribologist but do consider that any high grade grease can be adequate - in particular if the gun is kept clean and well lubed properly.

There are many good greases available to us and while I wouldn't argue with the Rohrbaugh recommendation do not think that on a well maintained gun the use of another quality grease will lead to any troubles at all.

Letting gun get too dirty and fouled and so also chance of even good grease being excessively dispersed - is I reckon the major thing to avoid.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2005, 04:02:40 PM »
I find that TetraGun grease and Rem Oil with Teflon works very well on my R-9.

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 08:32:11 PM »
EdMan,
I thought you were having problems with your R9?

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005, 06:44:28 PM »
Bigyimmy,
Good Question.
I had a craked slide that was not caused by the type of lube I use. Others on this forum who, I believe,  use SuperLube have also had craked slide problems. Karl R admitted the cracked slide was due to "bad stainless steel bar stock." He did not mention that I was lubing the R-9 incorrectly.

My new slide seems to be working fine at this time. So far so good.

Ed

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »
I can't find SuperLube at the local Home Depot, so I'll order some on line. Not because TetraGun doesn't work, it does, but because SuperLube is a little less expensive. Also like with guns, you can never have too many different types of good lubricants.   ;)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2005, 07:07:33 PM »
EdMan,
Check it out at Ace Hardware, or some have said the comparative (Same)  stuff may be had at Radio Shack.. ;)

I ordered mine thru the net as I am in a "small town" and could nopt find it..

Good luck..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline bigyimmy

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2005, 09:14:23 PM »
I did post on here about Radio Shack.  That is were I bought mine at.  It is under a Radio Shack label and it has been verified as being the same thing from the same company.

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2005, 10:00:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll check Radio Shack tomorrow.

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 03:13:43 AM »
I checked out Radio Shack and bought a 3oz. tube of their "Lube Gel" item number 64-2326 for $1.97. I think this is the same as "Super Lube". I've used it on my R9s and it seems to hold up better than the more expensive TetaGun grease that I have been using. So I'd say that "Super Lube" seems to work better on my Rohrbaubh R9s than TetaGun. Altough the salesman at Radio Shack said that they will not be selling this lube anymore.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »
I checked out Radio Shack and bought a 3oz. tube of their "Lube Gel" item number 64-2326 for $1.97. I think this is the same as "Super Lube". I've used it on my R9s and it seems to hold up better than the more expensive TetaGun grease that I have been using. So I'd say that "Super Lube" seems to work better on my Rohrbaubh R9s than TetaGun. Altough the salesman at Radio Shack said that they will not be selling this lube anymore.

You are absolutely right, EdMan. It's identical stuff, private labeled. I bought another 2 more tubes, just in case I need a 6,000 year supply of the proper lubricants...

Steve
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2006, 11:37:30 PM »
If you don't want to be bothered with ordering over the internet  http://www.super-lube.com/ , why not just call their toll-free number and talk to a real person?  800-253-LUBE (5823)?

I bought their big 14 ounce can for about $11.50 + shipping, & picked up a spray can at the local K-Mart.  Over the past six or seven months  I've discovered it's really as good as SYNCO claims it is.  So I've been using it for everything from door hinges to handguns.  At this rate, I'll need another can by next year.  (I also gave away a couple of 35 mm film canisters-full to shooting friends.)
The spray is great for garage door hinges, springs, etc.

Great products. ;D

Offline sgtdraino

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2006, 06:24:08 AM »
it is best to take the slide off after every 50 to 80 rounds and give it a wipe down and some fresh lube.

Haven't seen this addressed, maybe it's supposed to be obvious...

Wipe it down how? Just, like, wipe off the old grease and put on new? Or actually clean everything with solvent first?

I'm also one of those that's curious about using Militec 1. Once properly heat-treated, it creates a surface slick enough that often you literally can just wipe off all the filth.

But I wonder if creating a surface that slick means the action of the gun could throw off any grease applied to that slick surface?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 06:25:08 AM by sgtdraino »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2006, 09:56:54 AM »
sgtdraino,

Welcome to the forum.  Please come back many times.

I don't have complete answers, but do use solvent before applying the grease again.  After using Militec, the grease seemed to stay attached with no complications.

My only regret was getting Militec on the outside of the slide on a Glock, and the result was a very slippery surface making the slide harder to manipulate.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 10:41:46 AM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2006, 02:41:28 PM »
sgt - welcome :)

The real crux of the matter IMO is the regularity of cleaning.  I do find grease collects crud and so would want fresh quite often - whether to solvent clean or not is a moot point perhaps - I don't think it is essential but, if you look at the interstices, typically the inside edges of slide rail milling - you will see some hard-to-remove deposits of old grease.

I use tweezers with a small patch piece to run down there and remove the residue but solvent does do it quicker.

Once cleaned tho - lube up the pup per typically - the PDF file on the FAQ site (see my sig line) showing Eric doing just this - series of stills.  There is a vid version too.

To reiterate - frequency of cleaning is the key - tho I am one who does consider some guns can be over cleaned to the point of excess - there is a middle ground with the pup which is essentially following recommendations.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.