Author Topic: SOLD... Early R9s for sale $1,000 w/extras  (Read 22308 times)

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
Re: Early R9s for sale Reduced to $950 w/extras
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 08:02:40 AM »
I do not like the contemplation of selling my baby, nor even more of actually putting her on the block.

To the best of my knowledge she is the same as Chris' lil' pup except for serial number - and that mine has been back for a second baptism by Eric and Karl.   ;D

I am still seeking another way to come up with the $$$.  However my body-repair bills are substantial, daily and greatly out of pocket.  Prayerfully... this too shall pass.   ;D  
Delaware Real Estate = http://www.Kate-Jody.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 03:21:19 PM »
Jody:

I wish I could purchase your "Early Bird" R9s myself, but I also have my hands full of unexpected medical bills these days.  You have my sincere best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery and a happy and prosperous new year.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 12:38:00 AM »
I WALKED today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not just a slow shuffling old codger amble but a real walk.  For almost ten minutes I was able to really STRIDE like the old days - first time in a very long time.  I HOPE this is a glimpse of the future!

The Rohrbaugh is still for sale!  But I saw a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel - YOWZER!!!!

By the way - payments accepted from board members here - easy payments of whatever you want for up to 60 days BUT only for readers and members of this board!  She is Sweeeet!  Someone from Maryland drove all the way to Delaware to squeeze and play with her, earlier this week.  She is in a local gun shop that has her listed on the Net Auction sites.  

Yes, I need the money but I have reduced the price for many or most of my other guns but NOT the Rohrbaugh.  I feel that if I lower the price it cheapens the dignity and value of her entire family to some degree... just my opinion.  I think she is worth quite a bit more than the asking price but her sweetheart has not engaged her yet!  She is waiting for her sweet master and she will serve him/her well.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 12:44:42 AM »
Very glad to hear that Jodey - did try to call you earlier and left a message.  Been concerned over your problems.

This tho is well encouraging .. so hope it continues thus ... tho still wish you hadn't to risk losing your pup.

Will try and get in touch again soon.

Best
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 01:00:12 AM »
Hey!  Thanks for that great message!  I did not hear my phone ring and did not get a message notification.  You are a good person Chris and thanks again for your caring message!!!

I aim to break down this barrier to living that has risen up to try and instubulate me...  >:(  Your encouragement means a lot to me.

I would like to see my little baby have a new master however and the dollars will go well toward soem of the folks that are working with me this last several weeks.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Early R9s for sale Reduced to $950 w/extras
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 01:18:55 AM »
>>EARTH to R9 wannabees...  Guys, guys, guys (and gals)...  Take note that Mr. J. Hudson is offering a realllllly sweeeeet gun for sale here.  There is going to be a sizable price hike on R9s coming up which is going to make this deal look like a give away...!  And those extras...you will be set to go with springs for quite a while and the 3rd magazine is a special treat.  Also - when I spoke to Eric the other day he said the last of the Blue grips are gone, so between that and the early serial number on this gun some collector will be making a killing of a deal...!  Since the gun was just gone over at the factory you might as well be getting a NEW gun...if you have any question about that just give Eric a quick call...yes...?...no...??

**TW shakes head and stumbles off to bed**

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 11:31:28 PM »
... There is going to be a sizable price hike on R9s coming up which is going to make this deal look like a give away ...
The last thing I read on these forums was that there was going to be a price DROP. Now you're saying that there is going to be a price INCREASE.

Which is it? What happened to the planned drop?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 11:39:30 PM »
Alan - no official announcement as yet - tho I hope Eric will give me heads up soon.

So for now treat this as pure heresay/rumour.

Much suggests that a rise might be needed.  Reasons are manyfold ... materials, outsourcing, facilities - costs go up, not down ... the list is long.  Until anything is concrete I would just say tho that if this comes to pass, it will be solely to allow for survival and sustained production.  Eric would mortgage his soul - if as I suspect he hadn't already done so!

One point many are unaware of - and even prior to knowing the decision I am sure Eric will permit me to say this as fact ... the Fed tax of 10% was never originally factored in to begin with - so if you like, Bros Rohrbaugh have taken a near $100 loss per gun since day one!  That is more than significant.

As and when I know more I will post - or maybe Duane will - whoever gets Eric's official word first I expect.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2005, 01:31:53 AM »
Clearly, I don't know the economics at play here, but I have no doubt that the Rohrbaugh brothers know that the higher the price point, the lower the sales.

This gun is on track to becoming a cult favorite. Seecamp--move over.

Ideally, I'd like the price point to be closer to a top-of-the-line Kahr then the Seecamp 380.

I still think that making a Seecamp 380 clone, but with a machined from a forged billet, makes sense.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2005, 01:44:52 AM »
George - sure, there is always a trade-off re price and sales.  Thing is, as I see it - they either survive or they don't!  If they have to hike price - sales may lower BUT, they survive -  then that seems preferable to going for cheap to gain extra sales but - potentially going under.  Fine dividing line I'll grant you.

I think the harsh realities are - simple economics right thru - sell at a loss?  Not realistic.

Consider some upper end 1911's, ''loaded'' versions ... hibrids if you will (R9 is a hibrid/thorobred). Race guns ... fancy stuff - there IS a market.  If a product is what some folks want they WILL buy.  If I had not got my R9's already I would in truth still want one even if price higher.

I cannot see anything on the market that matches it - some come close agreed but - only one R9.  I certainly hope any increase, if forthcoming, is not too ''painful'' but as I said or implied earlier - I know with certainty that any increase will ONLY be because it is necessary - sure as heck won't be profiteering - of that I will bet my gun collection. :P
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Early R9s for sale Reduced to $950 w/extras
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2005, 03:25:43 AM »
>>Chris is correct...nothing regarding the future price of R9s has been set in stone, and to be 100% sure we will have to wait and see.  

However...I stand behind the comment I made about the used R9 being a steal at $950 compared to changes in price in the near future - because this is based on a detailed discussion I had with Eric several weeks ago when I visited and stayed with Eric while helping to get the new shop set up and ready to go.  With out going into more detail about price drop vs. increase, and breaking confidances Eric shared with me I will say this one last thing about a near future price increase...

If a forum member decides to buy this gun at least partially influenced by my statement about prices going up soon on new guns - and if I am wrong and the price is in fact lowered...I will pay the new owner the price difference between the old retail price for a new gun and the new, lowered price, or 10% of the new lowered price - which ever is MORE...!  Make sense...?  WHAT a DEAL, says they...!  How could you loose, says me...?...it's just not possible...!  Bear in mind you are also getting a gun recently gone over at the factory to keep it within specs...!!

Now if I could only get someone to offer ME such a deal if I am correct and we see a price increase of at least 10% before Summer...!!  Any takers...?...TW<<

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2005, 08:51:28 AM »
... I think the harsh realities are - simple economics right thru - sell at a loss?  Not realistic ...
No, never sell at a loss but if it comes down to selling X amount at YY% profit or XXX amount at Y% profit, it might be better to go with higher sales at a lower profit margin.

Eric, I've got an MBA (earned in 1986 from Seton Hall University in 1986) with an accounting back. If you want to bounce ideas off of me, I'm available.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2005, 04:12:59 PM »
It hard to make any informed decisions about how "demand" will be affected by a price increase, since "supply" has yet to come close to catching up with "demand."

I too have discussed with whole situation with Eric at length, and I am loathe to break any confidences.  However, I can say that a price increase is not their preference -- but may honestly be necessary.

I have analyzed to death the fact that the R-9 is really not expensive for what you are getting.  Its hard to compare it to a mass produced gun made with plastic and MIM parts...
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2005, 05:19:15 PM »
I think a Seecamp .380 clone is a step backwards, the .380 has been done by others and it is not a major caliber. That's one of the great things about the R9 is it is small, not much larger than the .380, fits in a pocket and is 9mm. I would prefer going up in caliber like .45acp. More bang for the buck!  Everyone should know about the Fed EXise tax, that's a givin. Although Shiloh Sharps adds it to their MSRP.  I would hold the price as long as they can and build and ship as many guns as quality control will allow. After there is a lot of guns out in the hands of end users and costs go up where it can't be absorbed then raise prices.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Mr_Jody_Hudson

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2005, 06:53:22 PM »
I have been asked a few times about how the gun may have been damaged by shooting it...  ??? ??? ??? ;D

Regarding the hundreds of rounds fired through this fantastic Rohrbaugh... Please call Eric or Karl at Rohrbaugh and get the real truth straight from them!

I have bought many guns over the years from professional and competitive, winning shooters.  The guns I bought had thousands and tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of rounds through them.  They were better for it not lessened.

It is usual for a gun manufacturer to tell people that the gun does not achieve it's potential until it has fired hundreds or perhaps thousands of rounds.  This initial shooting "shoots-in" the firearm and makes it better.  

Most likely a fired gun becomes better with shooting not less.  Perhaps it is the shooting that perfects them.  Since the Rohrbaugh is a perfect or nearly perfect gun - after a few hundred rounds it may well have reached a level better than normal perfection!  ;D ;D

Enjoy your Rohrbaughs Gentlemen!