Author Topic: Another R9s Robar for sale on GunBroker  (Read 15044 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Another R9s Robar for sale on GunBroker
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 09:17:39 PM »
The Robar Rohrbaugh is up for it's third listing on GB and has yet to generate a bid at the $1795 starting price. I wonder if they realize yet that they didn't find the Holey Grail of Rohrbaughs.
John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 09:38:28 PM »
John,

I don't mean to offend anyone who may be a part of this forum but what is missing to justify the high price of the robar guns is Carbon Fiber grips; the holy grail of R9!

One more time: LOVE the one tone frame/slide. But, I am not going to bid on a gun that has G10 grips. Come to think of it, I am trying to avoid gunbroker anyway, as I advised Richard on another string in this forum.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »
I  got to hold one a week ago and give it a good inspection, it was better than I imagined and had a real classy look, even though I'm not a fan of that color in a finish.  My personal opinion is that the Robar and Special Forces were VERY much priced too high especial with out the CF grips but I don't think even those make up that much cost increase.  I don't agree that the G10s are that bad and personally think the cf grips are nice but are getting an awful lot of disproportionate hype, jmo.  Variety, we all like something different, the question is; is there real value in the difference or is the price simply based on shortage.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 08:31:01 AM »
Fat Boy

It is reasonable, in my view, to regard the carbon fiber issue as part reality and part hype. I have spoken very clearly as to my dislike of G10, by which I stand. The custom Hogue grips with checkering are better than the plain G10 grips but it is still G10, which I hate.

So, where are we? Rohrbaugh furnished Carbon Fiber at one time and, by substituting G10 grips, relegated the Carbon Fiber to mythical status which is ongoing. Hey! ever hear of Winchester "Pre 64"?  Plaintiff rests.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »
I like the CF, no doubt; however, I just have to accept the G10 and go with them.  Would I change out to CF if I could find them?  That would depend on the want factor at the time.  

If the CF appeared here on the forum, you would have to be really fast to speak for them as well.  Seems at any price, they will sell and that 's OK too.  Makes them available at the time, and a lucky person is estatic.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »
ACP,
I think we agree then that a lot of this is just hype or simply based on shortage.  I agree that the custom Hogue grips are much better than the standard.  The checkering is a huge help in gripping this gun, which is why the cf grips may look nicer to some but practically speaking is not as valuable to me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:55:56 AM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy
EDC: HTC Touch Pro, Rohrbaugh R9, Dereelight C2H, Pocket Bible, CRT, Leather Tri-fold, SS Peanut Lighter, Bobster

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 11:05:08 AM »
I  got to hold one a week ago and give it a good inspection, it was better than I imagined and had a real classy look, even though I'm not a fan of that color in a finish.  My personal opinion is that the Robar and Special Forces were VERY much priced too high especial with out the CF grips but I don't think even those make up that much cost increase.  I don't agree that the G10s are that bad and personally think the cf grips are nice but are getting an awful lot of disproportionate hype, jmo.  Variety, we all like something different, the question is; is there real value in the difference or is the price simply based on shortage.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Build it and they will come".  That seems to me to be the way of the Robar and the others that bring a premium; that's marketing and it works.

I do agree, they are priced too high, but you've got to like how they look.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 11:10:59 AM »
I do agree, they are priced too high, but you've got to like how they look.
They do look and feel fantastic and much better than what you see in a picture on the net.
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
Fat Boy

With due respect we do not agree on carbon fiber grips. I hate G10 (however irrational this may seem) and love carbon fiber.

The focus of my statement is that substituting G10 for carbon fiber grips is analogous to what Winchester did to their guns after 1964. Their "improvements" were, in fact, cost reductions, thus relegating Pre '64 guns to collector status which continues to this day.

I will not argue the point of "how much is too much(?)" as to carbon fiber grips, but I won a gunbroker auction for an early gun with carbon fiber grips and paid $1425.00.

Carbon fiber grips are not hype; instead they are desirable and command premium prices which, of course, will always require a buyer willing to pay the price. If carbon fiber grips do not have appeal for you, you are saving money.

Offline Fat Boy

• Expert
  • R9s Stealth
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »
I don't think I said we agree about CF grips, but apparently we don't agree that it is hype, if this isn't hype I don't know what is.

hype  /haɪp/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [hahyp]  Show IPA verb, hyped, hyp⋅ing, noun Informal.
Use hype in a Sentence
–verb (used with object) 1. to stimulate, excite, or agitate (usually fol. by up): She was hyped up at the thought of owning her own car.  
2. to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily: a promoter who knows how to hype a prizefight.  
3. to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usually fol. by up).
4. to trick; gull.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:17:35 PM by Fat_Boy »
Good Luck,
Fat Boy

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »
Fat Boy

Well done. All words have semantics which either conotate or denotate meanings. For me, #4 on your definition of hype is what is in play here.

I believe that carbon fiber grips have value and merit. Therefore, (in the context of #4) carbon fiber is not hyped.

As always, value needs a price and price needs a buyer. Right now I am trying to get over the new guy who paid $650 for a CF R9; less than half of what I paid in May.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 07:06:27 PM »
Unreal!

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 07:15:51 PM »
Why doesn't someone sell me their one tone Farmingdale gun for $650.00?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »
I'd do the same; even more.  Let's find two.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »
Maybe if we paid for a table at a gun show like Ron did and sat there
for two or three days looking at tire-kickers we might find a good
deal once in awhile.