Author Topic: Re: Slamfire  (Read 10159 times)

Joe_from_NY

Re: Slamfire
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
I use an old desk in the corner of my basement for my gun cleaning area. I also keep some old panels of kevlar from an old vest screwed to the wall in front of me to try to stop any accidental discharges that might occur from going too far. I load and unload facing the panels. At least i wont hit any neighbors.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:02:15 PM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 11:47:53 PM »
Joe_from NY.  Welcome to the Forum from NC.  Enjoy.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Big_John_1961

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 11:50:53 AM »

nase:

That nightmare scenario you describe could possibly have happened, but I would think the firing pin would have had to be essentially "welded by fouling" in the exposed position for the force of the initial recoil not to have reseated it back into its channel.

I've been called obsessive-compulsive with regard to the care in handling and attention to detail I give to my firearms, particularly the ones I carry for personal defense. But I've seen what can happen unexpectedly with firearms. As a result, I've adopted a ritual of sorts for loading, unloading, and cleaning a gun.

I never work with a gun if I have had an alcoholic drink or taken medication which might cause drowsiness. Before I pick up a gun or remove it from its holster, I remind myself of Cooper's Rules and take a moment to concentrate on what I am about to do. When I take a semi-automatic pistol to hand, I first remove the magazine, then clear the chamber, and then check the chamber a second time to insure that it is indeed empty. I never attempt to work on a gun while watching television or engaging in conversation. In fact, I prefer not to work on a gun if there is anyone else in the room.

When cleaning a pistol, I use the same routine each time -- following the steps recommended by the manufacturer. And I'm not too proud to have the owner's manual close by for possible reference, no matter how many times I may have read it or cleaned the gun. I examine each part individually, including the firing pin mechanism, and I take my time. When the pistol has been cleaned, lubricated, and reassembled, I check its function using Snap Caps and apply a protective coating of wax to the outer surface.

With regard to the pistol's ammunition, I unload all of the cartridges from the magazine, inspect each one individually for deformation or other defect, and wipe down each one with a silicone cloth. I then carefully reload the cartridges, starting with the one which came from the chamber, and make sure that each cartridge is fully and properly seated in the magazine.

Before I insert the magazine into the well, I retract the slide to insure once again that the chamber is empty and that the firing pin is fully retracted in its chamber. I then insert the magazine into the well and slowly chamber a round while pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. Last, I carefully give the outer surface of the pistol a final light wipe with a silicone cloth, avoiding the trigger, and insert the gun into its holster.

I've been carrying handguns for some fifty years now and (thanks be to a merciful God) have not experienced a mishap or negligent discharge. However, since I constantly remind myself that "Murphy's Law" applies to firearms as well as other aspects of life, I treat a gun with something approaching profound reverence -- even though I carry at least one at all times legally possible every day of the year.

Thank you for posting your experience with the slam fire. It serves as a valuable reminder for us all of the responsibilities we assume by electing to use and carry firearms.

Good luck, and stay safe!

[size=10]Edit: Typo. &  1st para.[/size]
Sage advice, indeed.  It's all too easy to get complacent when handling firearms.  I have been guilty of it myself. Your post has motivated me to revisit my firearm routine and rededicate myself to safety.  Thank you for that.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:51:20 AM by Big_John_1961 »

Offline Alphonso

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »
BTT to ask if there is anymore information about this story...
**We Don't Rent Pigs***

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 02:17:53 AM »
Yeah, did you talk to the factory about this experience?

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »

In the meantime, I've gone over to the dark side and am now carrying an LCP.

Man, at least grab a Kahr P380, not an LCP. The P380 now comes with a black slide, looks real nice. I might sell my two tone one and get the black slide model.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
Man - sounds like the firing pin and firing pin hole have extra tight tolerances if Robar should not have done that area.
If, that is the area.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:17:44 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »
Sorry, forgot to come back and post an update until now. I played phone tag with Karl for awhile, but he finally got me on the phone. He said it sounded like Robar had probably coated one or more parts that they shouldn't have, and that was causing the malfunction.

Even though it's almost certainly (in my opinion as well as his) not Rohrbaugh's fault, he told me to send the gun in and he'd swap out any parts necessary to get it running again. I'll toss out another update when I get the gun back and put a few mags through it.

In the meantime, I've gone over to the dark side and am now carrying an LCP.

nase.  Now that's great customer service.  I'm sure the Robar will be fine.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 04:29:31 AM »
The firing pin is easily removed, inspected, cleaned, lubricated and reinstalled.

Should take about 5 minutes. You may want to give it try?

Why would you lubricate your firing pin? Please don't do that. Or the magazines.. I sometimes read people saying they lubricate their magazines and it makes most of us cringe.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:30:35 AM by PsychoSword »

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
My pup has had the full Robar treatment, slide, frame and internals and there were no problems. I can't say that the NP3 treatment wasn't the problem but this gun was not there first R9  
and not there first gun job.  
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
This is a very important string. As a Certified Pistol Instructor I concur with those who applaud nase's behavior in his having pointed the R9 in a safe manner prior to his slamfire.

Further, Richard's comments about technical issues and never handling a firearm after alcohol consumption are first rate. (I once disqualified a federal officer from the firing range to which I was responsible because he had been drinking. Was he drunk? Certainly not, but alcohol and guns do not mix, period).

I have a Robar R9 and, like Yankee 2500, have never experienced this problem.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:44 PM »
...Rohrbaugh CS is second to none and they will get this fixed for you...

"Second to none" is a pretty strong statement. Will they do warranty repairs on an older gun for the second, third, fourth... owner with no questions asked like Seecamp does? If so, then i would say they are tied for best customer service among gun companies. If they dont, then I would say they are "second to one". Just sayin'...

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I have never owned a Seecamp but their customer service certainly sounds great. No wonder they inspire loyalty to their owners. At least that is my observation.

As to Rohrbaugh, I have never had to return an R9 multiple times but the several times I asked them to intervene in support of various R9s owned, they have never failed me.

Second to none? Don't know, but Rohrbaugh customer service ranks high in my book.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
Please let us know what Karl's diagnosis is on this, thanks. :-/
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
I have never owned a Seecamp but their customer service certainly sounds great. No wonder they inspire loyalty to their owners. At least that is my observation.

As to Rohrbaugh, I have never had to return an R9 multiple times but the several times I asked them to intervene in support of various R9s owned, they have never failed me.

Second to none? Don't know, but Rohrbaugh customer service ranks high in my book.

I believe they are great, but just out of curiosity, i would like to see if they would do repairs under warranty for the second or third owner of the gun. Seecamp never quibbles over showing the original bill of sale to prove original ownership. I wonder if Rohrbaugh does. With Seecamp, if they made it, they fix it. I just wondered if Rohrbaugh stood behind their product as well as does Seecamp. The fact that a second or third owner who buys it can get it repaired under the lifetime warranty certainly adds value to the product, from the point of view of both the original owner, and future owners as well.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:05:55 PM by Joe_from_NY »