Author Topic: Re: Slamfire  (Read 10165 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Slamfire
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »
I understand what Joe is saying and I agree with him.  That is what separates a good company from a great one.  
It doesn't matter when it broke, who broke it, or how it broke.  It just needs to be corrected, and done right and as quick as possible.  
That's what keeps customers coming back for more.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
There is a lot of implicit trust when dealing with Rohrbaugh warranty work. There is no stated policy after the original owner but I know they have taken care of subsequent owner problems: without fail as far as I know. Also, when the gun goes back to Rohrbaugh they fix the issue, and more, to make it right. When the gun is returned to the owner there is no paperwork or explanation of the repair effort other than a KR or ER initial. I have heard that new owners of used R9s have to pay an extended warranty fee but that is just hearsay.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:04:06 PM by tracker »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:34 PM »
I sold a Stealth in this forum and detected a problem with the black slide plating before I shipped it to the new owner. I sent it to Rohrbaugh and they replaced the slide. Great job and well handled.

However, if I had not been the original owner I do not think the factory would have treated me the same. This is my perception. Hope I am wrong.

In my experience, (never having owned a Seecamp), Rohrbaugh is the gold standard for customer service.

Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »
However, if I had not been the original owner I do not think the factory would have treated me the same. This is my perception. Hope I am wrong.

Is there anyone on here who needed warranty service and had to prove they are the original owner? If we don't get any answers to this question, i will start a new thread to get more visibility for the question.

In my experience, (never having owned a Seecamp), Rohrbaugh is the gold standard for customer service.

If Rohrbaugh would not honor the warranty for the subsequent owners, and they are the gold standard, then I would have to say that Seecamp is the platinum standard.

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 11:29:01 PM »
There is a lot of implicit trust when dealing with Rohrbaugh warranty work. There is no stated policy after the original owner but I know they have taken care of subsequent owner problems: without fail as far as I know. Also, when the gun goes back to Rohrbaugh they fix the issue, and more, to make it right.
This is very encouraging to hear. As i said before, their excellent service adds to the value of our guns.

When the gun is returned to the owner there is no paperwork or explanation of the repair effort other than a KR or ER initial. ....
This was my experience with Seecamp also. It must be that they are both small operations with talented craftsmen, and the bottom line is that the gun ends up working as it should. Whatever they had to do to get it there, might be looked at by them as inconsequential.

It is a different story with Kahr, with regard to their informing the owner of the corrective action taken to remedy the issue with the guns sent back.  When I had to send them my brand new out of the box P380 due to many FTF's and FTE's, i got the following letter with the gun upon its return:

Kahr gave excellent customer service, including fast turn around and free shipping both ways, as they should have, and the gun afterwards performed flawlessly, with over 1000 rounds through it since then without even a single problem. If their 9MM was as small and light as their .380, i would have it and carry it often.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:38:24 AM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
Joe from NY: You have my statement regarding Rohrbaugh and the facts that tracker have put into play. When I say Rohrbaugh is the gold standard there is an implicit in my experience.

As to Kahr; I wouldn't go near one. I was the first on my block to own one in the mid 90's, had multiple failures and got my money back. I recall it had a great DA trigger. But, with the failures immediately behind its new ownership, I lost confidence in the gun and the company.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 01:05:27 PM »
yeah, my Kahr was a dog right out of the box. I couldn't believe that they would let something that unreliable leave the factory. That being said, they were very cooperative in helping me get the thing working right. After the adjustments made during warranty service, the thing is perfect. I could have just returned it to my guy, and gotten another one, but i figured that two times through the factory was better than one, and the personal attention given to a gun going through warranty repair is better than that given to any one of the thousands of guns upon leaving the assembly line.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
As an example of the personal attention at the factory I recently ordered four recoil springs and the packing slip had "ER" hand initialed on it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:36:50 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »
Great example, tracker.  I did the same thing, ordered 2 recoil springs and 4 sets of stainless grip screws some time ago just to have on hand and the invoice had each item checked off and also hand initialed "ECR" in two places.  

I thought that was great; attention to detail.  Still have that invoice.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
Great example, tracker.  I did the same thing, ordered 2 recoil springs and 4 sets of stainless grip screws some time ago just to have on hand and the invoice had each item checked off and also hand initialed "ECR" in two places.  

I thought that was great; attention to detail.  Still have that invoice.  

Yes, when the boss gets involved, things get done correctly. I ordered a few springs , a holster, and black magazine from them a few weeks back. They sent me a regular magazine instead. the invoice had initials "DF" on it. I figured they substituted it for the out of stock one i wanted. When i called to inquire if the black magazines were on back-order, they said that they never substitute items for backordered stock, any it must have been a mistake. I sent the regular magazine back to them with a copy of my invoice and they sent me out the proper magazine. The copy of the invoice sent back to me had the initials "ECR" on it in a circle. Maybe the boss should check the outgoing accessories and parts orders from the beginning. Even though I am still out the $2.80 i paid to ship the magazine back, i am glad they had what i wanted in stock and i got it quickly. So far, they are real nice on the phone, and their service to me has been great. I did not try to turn this thread into a Seecamp vs. Rohrbaugh thread, i was just comparing experiences with both companies. They are two examples of excellent firearm manufacturers who have a tight-knit, extremely loyal following, with many owners, including me, owning both guns and being active on both forums.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:49:58 PM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 03:02:43 PM »

They are two examples of excellent firearm manufacturers who have a tight-knit, extremely loyal following, with many owners, including me, owning both guns and being active on both forums.

I agree with the above statement as I have had experience with both in the customer service area; outstanding service from both.

Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
I have two cents to add: In a packing slip I received from the factory, about 3 years ago, there was a personal message; "Phil - How are things in Vermont?" Eric

I had forgotten this story but it clearly goes to the personal/hands on approach of Rohrbaugh.

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »
I have owned an R9 for some time, my first one delivered around 2005 or 2006, it is incredible how time flies.

I have owned a Seecamp for about twenty years.
I load most of my semi-autos the same.
I start from an empty pistol and empty magazine.
I place one appropriate caliber round in the magazine, insert the magazine into the firearm, then rack the slide, I let it really slide home to seat the cartridge.Then I will do a press check to ensure the cartridge is indeed loaded into the chamber, I then holster the firearm, remove the magazine. The holstered firearm is safely holstered, trigger protected.
This I do all the time. I have read and heard horror stories how someone loads a firearm and gets distracted by the telephone or a spouse at the other end of the house, the firearm left behind loaded, unprotected from perhaps a young child in the house.
I load the magazine to capacity and insert into the firearm.
I guess if I had a slamfire using my method, and there was a potential of the firearm going full auto, there would only be that one round in the chamber. The possibility of a slam fire is not the reason I load my firearms this way.
This of course does not prevent a slamfire, but  that is why as always, keep that muzzle in a safe direction.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
Very safe and deliberate.

Good practices to live and follow.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
Great words, Art.  I do much the same way.  Thanks for sharing your expertise.