Author Topic: YARR Again (Yet Another Range Report)  (Read 2949 times)

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
YARR Again (Yet Another Range Report)
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:41:12 AM »
3 mags of Speer Gold Dot 115gr (the only kind I ever use) thru the R9s. Two with John's TERRIFIC new hooked black mag extension, one without. To me, the magazine extension provides a significant improvement in two-handed shooting (I am right-handed) where you can adjust the left-hand grip to assist and accommodate a sort-of 'pull-down' efffect to allow you to decrease the time back to target...I notice improvement one hand-shooting also,but since there's still only really room for two fingers on the grip unless you really have skinny fingers, I don't know if there is as much improvement. Sincere thanks to John for the unpaid work and time required to see this project through, as well as completely businesslike and professional service and handling.
Otherwise, here's the major and continuing assessment of this pistol: it makes me happy. And now it's even better. So now I have to stop compulsively messing with it before I screw it up somehow, or else have to buy another one to forever keep in a 'stock' version.
All rounds fed and fired perfectly, and on one mag before I got tired, all rounds in about a 6in. group at 25 feet. This is ok for me, S****Y for many of you, I know.
Painted BriteSights rectangles of green and orange on the surfaces of the rear and front sights, and this helps some. Not as much as think my going to the optometrist and getting  unlined trifocals will do: I've discovered I cannot obey one of the all-time handgun-shooting rules: "FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT!", since I cannot focus on EITHER the target OR the front sight correctly at any time. :(
I cannot at all fault the accuracy of this firearm: it seems to be as good as the shooter can make it to be. Again, the recoil is 'stout', but at the range I wear high-quality shooting gloves. Should it come to a real-life use of the weapon I have a carry permit for, I doubt that my most serious concern will be related to hand comfort. As it stands, my hands/wrist get a little tired and brused after 3 mag thru th R9s... be then off to dissemble, clean and reassemble.

PS: As I was told, the top three handgun rules are:
1) ALL handguns are loaded ALL the time
2) Never arm your wife
3) (as noted above) "FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT!"
I'm sure there are more rules but I cannot remember them :)

I have the most excellent Meco pocket holser for the R9s, and now looking into stong side belp-clip type holders for car use etc.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: YARR Again (Yet Another Range Report)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:22:44 AM »
whkrog.  Excellent report.  Thanks for the update.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »

I can add another boring, routine range report today. One mag of GD 115  gr. and two mags of WWB 115 gr.: flawless functioning; "carry a lot, shoot a little."

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:25:32 PM »
tracker.  Always good to hear range reports.  Excellent.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln