Author Topic: Grip screws......why don't mine loosen?  (Read 9617 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Grip screws......why don't mine loosen?
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:10:23 AM »
I was cleaning one of my R9's this moring and thinking about forum posts on screws. I have been shooting a R9 for eight years. My screws never come loose. Why not? ??? What am I doing different? So many post problems keeping their screws tight. The only thing I can think of is that I learned years ago mounting rifle scopes is that you should degrease the screw and screw holes for proper torque. I clean the screw holes using a pipe cleaner with gun scrubber  on it and spray and wipe the screws. I use that procedure on my 1911's and other guns. Maybe someone else could try that and post their results. :)
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Grip screws......why don't mine loosen?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
Simple solution for a pesky problem.

I will try that next time, after I clean the nail polish off and out.

Thanks Jack!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »
Jack,

That is a very cool tip that makes a lot of sense. I have not heard it but will try it.

Thanks,

Robar233

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:41:45 PM »
Ergo propter hoc...but it makes sense after repetitive success without other apparent variable.  I, too,will try this.  Thanks for posting!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »
Prior to installing a new set of VZ grips yesterday I used compressed air to clean the screw holes. Also, I installed the "O" rings with the new screws. These screws should stay in place without any loctite. Thanks to all of those who have made screws a non issue.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:58:17 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
Prior to installing a new set of VZ grips yesterday I used compressed air to clean the screw holes. Also, I installed the "O" rings with the new screws. These screws should stay in place without any loctite. Thanks to all of those who have made screws a non issue.

Tracker, my friend, as the one may have been first to "preach" on the benefits of the lowly "O" rings for stabilizing grips screws in the R9, I hope you will find my sermons to have been based in truth.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »

Yea verily with a special thanks to you and John who picked up on it and made them readily available.

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »
Will the O rings work on my R380 with the VZ blue CF grips?? If so, can someone please email me with the details.  Much thanks!!
Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 06:39:36 AM »
Will the O rings work on my R380 with the VZ blue CF grips?? If so, can someone please email me with the details.  Much thanks!!

Although I do not own a Rohrbaugh K380, I use "O" rings on the grips screws of all my handguns with good efffect and see no reason why they would not work for you.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 07:01:34 AM »

dmunofo.  I definately endorse the O-rings as recommended by RS, the originator of the O-rings, and sold by John (yankee2500); the function is the same.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:06:17 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 07:29:38 AM »
I also endorse the O-Rings that John sells. The hold up when taking the screws out and reinstalling them and also prevent the screws from loosining up!

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
Has anyone tried this?(previous post)
I was cleaning one of my R9's this moring and thinking about forum posts on screws. I have been shooting a R9 for eight years. My screws never come loose. Why not?  What am I doing different? So many post problems keeping their screws tight. The only thing I can think of is that I learned years ago mounting rifle scopes is that you should degrease the screw and screw holes for proper torque. I clean the screw holes using a pipe cleaner with gun scrubber  on it and spray and wipe the screws. I use that procedure on my 1911's and other guns. Maybe someone else could try that and post their results. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:55:55 AM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
The grip screws on my R9 stayed tight until I switched to the VZ Grips and Yankee's screws.  It took considerable force to get the factory scews to break loose as they had some type of thread locker on them.  I degreased the new screws and cleaned up the tapped holes in the frame and degreased them also.  I put the VZ grips on and went to the range.  The top right screw was loose after one magazine was fired and the bottom right was loose after the second.

My guess is the threadlocker  and the original screws "loosened up" the tapped hole some when I removed them.  When I put the screws in without the grips the screw go in very easily with minimal resistance, maybe too easily.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
Interesting observation MRC.  I took mine to the range the other day with O-rings and tight grip screws on the left VZ grips, but no O-rings on the right to check out function without the O rings in terms of trigger reset (discussed on another thread).  After about 6 mags, returned home and found BOTH sides had loose grip screws. (I had one or two trigger reset problems that I think were due to my trigger control, but those occured early in the session and did not recur).  I wonder if slight variability in the screw holes during production is possible, since my R9 frame is practically new, with perhaps 200 rounds through it before this range trip.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
My left side grip screws have never worked loose and I have treated them the same.  I have always thought it must have something to do with the trigger mechanism.

In my experience tapped holes especially in aluminum can vary alot.