Author Topic: Anyone Switch to Boberg  (Read 13145 times)

Offline Sigquick

• Sharpshooter
Anyone Switch to Boberg
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
Hello All,

Haven't been on here in a while just curious if anyone prefers the Boberg over their R9. Just received a couple of Boberg Platinum XR9-Ss, but have not had the time to shoot one yet.  It does seem to be very well manufactured, but not near as sleek as the Rohrbaugh. My R9 has a much smoother trigger as well, but the Boberg holds an extra round with the +P option. From what little I've read sounds like the Boberg wins for accuracy, the Rohrbaugh for concealability.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Anyone Switch to Boberg
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
To me, it's all about the size of the gun.
No Brainer  R9

As far as accuracy - anytime you can get a better grip on a gun AND have superior sights - you have a leg up.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:44:09 AM »
What Reinz said. Also, speaking just for myself, I just can't seem to get comfortable with a design that has the potential to be a "bullet puller" with a poorly seated round. "Murphy's Law" applies to the manufacture and reloading of ammunition just as it does to other aspects of human endeavor.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »
I have been carrying one for about 2 months now.  It is a great shooter.  It is easier to shoot fast and accurately with +P ammo than the R9 with standard pressure.  It has one more round and 15% longer barrel in an easy to carry package.  As far as ammo, I am able to shoot a lot more types with the Boberg than the R9.  Non compatible ammo with the "pull-back" mechanism are clearly listed.

Downside - Fast reloads are a problem but no worse than with a R9.  A very complicated mechanism with a lot of moving parts.  I have heard of very few problems though it is a worry to me.  Also unlike the R9, the Boberg has a typical "Hammer-fired" DAO trigger that takes a little getting used to.  I much prefer the R9, PM9, and Solo triggers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:45:07 AM by MRC »

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »
Yes.  Still keeping both just in case I change my mind in the future.   ;D

Pretty much ditto everything from MRC except I don't mind the long reset on the trigger.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:17:01 PM »
Corey (CWC) did in a big big way.....
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
I have  tonight been enjoying the benefit of a well-aged single-malt beverage, but in my seventh decade of life (to the consternation of my enemiies still alive), permit me to state for the record that in 2002 I perceived the R9 to be the finest pocket pistol ever designed, that I took delivery of my R9 in 2004, and that the same R9 is in my pocket as I type this post.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:48:29 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »
I have  tonight been enjoying the benefit of a well-aged single-malt beverage, but in my seventh decade of life (to the consternation of my enemiies still alive), permit me to state for the record that in 2002 I perceived the R9 to be the finest pocket pistol ever designed, that I took delivery of my R9 in 2004, and that the same R9 is in my pocket as I type this post.

Congrats, RS, on being in the seventh decade of life, and do enjoy the well deserved malt beverage along with that fine pocket pistol, the #132. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:47:10 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:31 AM »
I own both, have carried both, have ended up carrying the R9s most of the time.  At 4 to 6 yards, accuracy is equivalent.  Smaller more comfortable carry pocket, IWB, OWB makes the R9 my better choice, expecially in summer dress, cargo shorts, etc.  Both are wonderful pistols and I must say I've never had a misfire,  FTF or "pulled" bullet with my Boberg.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 12:08:39 AM »
I am in the same corner as Richard as noted in both of his posts, sans 7th decade. :)

Offline Sigquick

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I finally made it to the range today to shoot the Boberg. WOW!!! Very impressed with this little gun. It was accurate and pleasant to fire. Think I might prefer it over my Robar R9s  :'(.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
I am in the same corner as Richard as noted in both of his posts, sans 7th decade. :)

Reinz:

The seventh decade is proving to be much better than I would ever have anticipated. I attribute this to the love of a beautiful woman whom I met just in time, a few miracles of modern medicine, some frustrated enemies, and an amazing amount of perhaps undeserved good fortune.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I finally made it to the range today to shoot the Boberg. WOW!!! Very impressed with this little gun. It was accurate and pleasant to fire. Think I might prefer it over my Robar R9s  :'(.

Sigquick.  Glad you like the Boberg; it really is impressive, for sure!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »
My R9 will not be replaced by a Boberg because I have no interest in buying one. ;D

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »

Reinz:

The seventh decade is proving to be much better than I would ever have anticipated. I attribute this to the love of a beautiful woman whom I met just in time, a few miracles of modern medicine, some frustrated enemies, and an amazing amount of perhaps undeserved good fortune.  8)

Awesome!  May you enjoy many more.