Author Topic: Anyone Switch to Boberg  (Read 13140 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Anyone Switch to Boberg
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 02:06:48 AM »
My R9 will not be replaced by a Boberg because I have no interest in buying one. ;D

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yup, what he said.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 07:28:13 AM »
My R9 will not be replaced by a Boberg because I have no interest in buying one. ;D

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't have to switch to enjoy the Boberg!  There's room for both!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »
Let's face it, we are all going to carry what we feel gives us the most protection and is still concealable for pocket carry.  I have five 9mm which I can pocket carry.  At the present time my choice has come down to the Boberg and the Kimber Solo.  I personally like the Solo probably better but the extra round  and the longer barrel make the Boberg a very attractive alternate.

Thanks to kj on another thread I was able to find Hornady Critical Duty at a fair price.  If they prove to be compatible with my Boberg, (they are on the recommended list), this could be an awsome combination.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/hornady/50-rd-box-9mm-hornady-critical-duty-le-135-grain-p-90225

I really do not need 5 pocket carry 9mm's but I do not have much money in the PM9 or the Colt Pocket Nine and I do like them.  I would like to get rid of the Rohrbaugh but without a warranty and the factory installed "Corrugated" rifling it is practically impossible to sell without taking a considerable beating which is what I will probably end up doing.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
I took the Boberg to the range yesterday to try out the Hornady Critical Duty ammunition.  The Boberg would not reliably feed the CD's from a full magazine but I had just cleaned and lubed it and had way overdone the  oiling and that may have contributed to the trouble.  Lots of moving parts to oil and I have to start using the recommended CLP I concluded.

The more interesting find was when I chronographed the 135 gr +P ammo in the XR9, a PM9, and a Kimber Solo to see how the different barrel lengths affected the velocity.  Here are the results:

Boberg  -  1063 fps average
   PM9      -  1059 fps
   Solo      -  1039 fps

Barrel length at least with the Critical Defense 135 +P ammunition has very little affect.  I am going to do some more comparisons with other ammo to see if this is true with them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:20:49 PM by MRC »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 10:07:47 AM »
Probably best not to use +P ammo in the R9 unless you are so PO'd at it that you want to beat it to death  :D
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
You're right, no +P stuff for the R9.

I am certainly not PO'd at the R9, it is a very good and reliable pistol.  I just have found others that are just as reliable and "FOR ME" a better choice, that's all.

Offline Concealed

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 11:23:40 PM »
I'm in the minority here on the Boberg in terms of problems.  I have a friend who recently purchased one and has had serious FTF issues.  This has kept me from buying one.  I have an R-9 that is about 2 years old and have had minimal problems.  My friend must have gotten a problem gun as I have heard very little reliablity issues so far.  I'm going to wait and see how Arne handles this one.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
Concealed, Welcome to the group. Do keep us posted on what transpires with the Boberg.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 01:32:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum from me as well, Concealed.  I do hope your freind is treated squarely.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 07:56:14 AM »
I put a post on the Boberg forum about my chronograph data and feed problems with the Hornady Critical Duty ammo in my XR9.  Arne Boberg sent me a personal e-mail offering to send me a shipping label to return the pistol so he could make it right.  I am still not certain that my sloppy maintenace was not the problem or at least partly to blame.

Arne gave me a couple of suggestions and asked that I keep him informed.  I just need to do some more testing as the Boberg was flawless up until then.

Offline JohnBT

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
Not me.

I'm still happy after 5+ years of carrying my R9 everyday. And I bought it used. I don't see the lack of +P ammo as a drawback. Out of a short barrel it might add what, as much as 30 or 40 fps. Speer says 70 fps for 124-grain Gold Dots in a full-sized gun.

John

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
I put a post on the Boberg forum about my chronograph data and feed problems with the Hornady Critical Duty ammo in my XR9.  Arne Boberg sent me a personal e-mail offering to send me a shipping label to return the pistol so he could make it right.  I am still not certain that my sloppy maintenace was not the problem or at least partly to blame.

Arne gave me a couple of suggestions and asked that I keep him informed.  I just need to do some more testing as the Boberg was flawless up until then.
[/quote

Man that's what I like to hear!   With great concern and customer service like that, Arne is going to do well.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »
Let's face it, we are all going to carry what we feel gives us the most protection and is still concealable for pocket carry.  I have five 9mm which I can pocket carry.  At the present time my choice has come down to the Boberg and the Kimber Solo.  I personally like the Solo probably better but the extra round  and the longer barrel make the Boberg a very attractive alternate.

Thanks to kj on another thread I was able to find Hornady Critical Duty at a fair price.  If they prove to be compatible with my Boberg, (they are on the recommended list), this could be an awsome combination.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/hornady/50-rd-box-9mm-hornady-critical-duty-le-135-grain-p-90225

I really do not need 5 pocket carry 9mm's but I do not have much money in the PM9 or the Colt Pocket Nine and I do like them.  I would like to get rid of the Rohrbaugh but without a warranty and the factory installed "Corrugated" rifling it is practically impossible to sell without taking a considerable beating which is what I will probably end up doing.

If I might ask, what is the smallest, RELIABLE 9mm you have?
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
I will have to say all five have been reliable.  I have a couple of Colt Pocket Nines which have both been reliable.  I also had 2 R9's, the current one is 100% with whatever I have fired in it and the first was complete junk and went back to Long Island for good.

The R9 is the lightest and with the shape of the slide is easily the most concealable.  That is why I puchased it.  I have no problem pocket carrying any of them, so I go with the one "I can shoot the most accurately with the most speed".  With my stiff and arthritic hands and wrists I have found it hard for me to get 7 shots off as fast and accurately with the R9 as I can with the PM9, Solo, and the Boberg.

I am still testing the Boberg which is by far the easiest to shoot and may end up being my first choice but for now, I prefer the Solo.

Remember, Carry Weapons are meant to be comforting, not comfortable.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
I don't see lack of +P as an issue.

I decided that for me, 9mm was the minimal cartridge in terms of power.  I do want a small light weight pistol.  The laws of physics say F=MA.  When you start adding velocity or mass, or both, you're going to need a bigger gun, IMO.

If I wanted something smaller than the R9 and was willing to settle for what I consider a step-down in effectiveness then I'd get a 380 ACP.  If I felt I needed something more powerfull than standard pressure 9mm, then I'd get a bigger gun - probably something in 40 S&W