Author Topic: Anyone Switch to Boberg  (Read 13143 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Anyone Switch to Boberg
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 12:54:43 PM »
I agree, that the ability to fire +P ammunition is not the deal maker for me either.  But the Boberg is approximately the same size as the R9 but slightly heavier and is softer shooting with +P ammo than the R9 with std pressure ammo and carries one more round.  That is definitely a plus in my opinion.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
I agree, that the ability to fire +P ammunition is not the deal maker for me either.  But the Boberg is approximately the same size as the R9 but slightly heavier and is softer shooting with +P ammo than the R9 with std pressure ammo and carries one more round.  That is definitely a plus in my opinion.

You have a choir waiting over here:

http://www.bobergarms.com/forum
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 11:27:40 PM »
Gimme the Pup!!!
I am also on that 7-8 year trip that Richard and Reinz are on!!

Been enjoying it as my EDC without any trouble at all..

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 01:29:36 AM »
When I was young and knew everything, I liked Fast Cars,
Fast Chicks, and Magnum Ammunition.

When I became middle aged and knew I didn't know everything, I liked
Expensive Cars, Expensive Women, and +P Ammunition.

Now that I'm old and don't remember if I knew anything, I like
Limos, any Women who's kind & Standard Pressure Ammunition.

Seriously, I no longer understand the fetish with
Hot Ammunition. Modern bullet design is far better
than it used to be so Hot Loads are no longer required
to encourage someone to quickly bleed out.

And now that Micro Pistols are more popular than
ever, their 3 inch and smaller barrels don't make
good use of Hot Ammunition. I like that the Boberg
has a longer than usual barrel for a Micro Auto
but Hot Ammo just isn't needed.

I get why people still like HOT Chicks,
and HOT Cars but not HOT Ammo.
So whats the deal?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:34:55 PM by billib »

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 04:44:21 AM »
Well said billib
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »
billib, +1  ;D

"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »
 Great thread,

I have to say that some great points have been expressed in this thread! I love the line about concealed weapons making us feel comfortable not having to be comfortable. God willing the only time any of us will need one is to fire at the range! If we do need to use it in self defense; 1 hope & prepare for it to function, 2 hit what they hell you are aiming at where you want the shot to go!
 The threads about "new" ammunition are right on the money. Times have changed and bullets are designed to expand for the specific caliber  and the velocities. I hate to say it but I can remember when a backwards wad cutter was state of the art.
 So if you switch to Bobberg or a Model 29 with an 8 3/8 in barrel; take care of it, practice with it, and pray you NEVER need it!

Robar233

Offline dave606

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »
I wouldn't even consider a Boberg. I know the Rohrbaugh is the best true pocket 9mm on the market. I also know the company is 100% behind their products. The looks of a pistol is also important to me, and the boberg may be functionally adequate but it is embarrassingly ugly. While the Rohrbaugh is a work of art. I know everyone has different opinions, but i just can't find a negative with the Rohrbaugh that would lead me to consider a replacement. 

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »
There is room for both.  The BB holds one more round, has a longer barrel with all that implies, has better sights, is extremely accurate and feels like a much larger pistol in the hand.  In my hand it is generally more accurate at a longer range than the R9.  It is a pleasure to shoot and not bad to carry, but it is, to me at least, a tad too bulky for comfortable pocket carry, so I carry it occasionally in IWB holster or keep it in the vehicle as the "car gun."

That said, I carry either the R9 Covert or my Seecamp most often, usually front pocket carry, using whichever pistol fits my clothing and need.  In the winter when in areas of concern I will carry a Kimber .45 Ultra CDPII with an extra mag. 

The only concern is that one must practice with each weapon carried and mentally commit to the one being carried on any day lest confusion reign during an emergency.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline gbelleh

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »
After handling one at a gun show, I do plan to get a Boberg (whenever my name comes up in the waiting list).  I really like the unconventional looks and operation.  But I don't see the Boberg in direct competition with the R9.  I see the XR9 mainly as an IWB gun, so it would likely replace my PM9 if anything.  But, no need to switch or replace anything.  I'll just add it to the collection and have one more nice option in the carry rotation.
gbelleh