Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 212563 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

No disagreement with specific issues like this and I really don't like self-justification and denial of a problem. I have no intention of selling either one of mine and I didn't buy them for resale. There is no doubt that a gun in this price range should not have a rough barrel like yours. My only problem with your statements was for you to imply that all Farmingdales have bad slides and that all barrels are rough. As they say, all real estate is local.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I was told that Rohrbaugh's barrels look like that and they would not replace mine as the replacement would probably look like that also.  This is not my statement but Eric's, so your beef is with him.

As far as the slides, there is no way of proving it one way or the other.  The bad bar stock story sounds very unlikely to me.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

I don't have any beef with them; my barrels were good and whether it is bad bar stock or improper heat treatment on the slides is irrelevant at this point; however, it is most certainly the case that not all Farmingdale slides were defective. All of this discussion is interesting but is hindsight and of little value in the future.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master

FUTURE???

If Eric says so, it must be so.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:13:47 AM by MRC »

Offline heyjoe

I just recently talked to a S&W technician and he confirmed that they would only honor warranty work for the original registered buyer. I don't know about their past policy.

smith and wesson still honors warranty work for non original registered buyers every day of the week. the technician  you spoke to was wrong.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum

If this is true, this is a RADICAL change in S&W policy.  I have been to the factory twice, and spoken to them about this.  The do reserve the right to refuse warranty service to subsequent owners if they need to...  So if you are being a pain the butt and they can't make you happy, or whatever -- they have a legal ground to stand on.  Most manufacturers retain this "out." However, S&W routinely performs warranty service on pistols without ever inquirng if you are the original owner.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

It sounds like both are correct, depending on the mood of the CSA and the attitude of the gun owner. I suspect it worked that way at Rohrbaugh also because I heard it both ways in actuality. If they want you to go away they will state their policy. The tech I spoke to at S&W said he would send me some parts free of charge which he didn't anyway. He didn't ask if I were the original owner. It isn't a problem because I can purchase the parts at a reasonable price.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well then I will hope for the best that I will be able to get warranty coverage extended on mine as long as I'm not a royal pain in the butt (too late I think : )

Well hopefully we will hear something soon as we are rolling up on 60 days I think.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

My observations regarding Rohrbaugh warranty practice and policy are past tense and probably subject to change with the alleged new ownership in place.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Agreed and understood. Point well taken.

I believe they will be upstanding and likely will want to start off on a good foot with existing clientele. This is my opinion only based upon my understanding of what would make for "good business", but that doesn't necessarily mean diddley-squat.

Time will tell.

I'm trying to practice patience : ) practice, practice practice : )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:17:08 AM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Speaking of patience...

"An ounce of patience is better than a pound of brains. If we cannot get bacon let us still bless God there are still some cabbages in the garden"... John Ploughman  ;D

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
I think there is no question the new owner will stand behind its contractual warranty obligations.  How much "MORE" they will do remains to be seen, I guess.  Most gun companies are pretty good about this though.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
I was told that by Maria after I emailed the pictures to Eric. Eric told her to tell me that as the reason they would not replace the barrel.  I was told if the gun functions, why would I care.

I asked to talk to Eric and he did not want to talk to me.

This pistol did not function.  The second one is 100% reliable and the barrel looks nearly the same.  It also has made this pistol impossible to sell as I believe one needs to disclose any defects when selling a firearm.

That is why I do not believe every thing that comes from the factory.

I talked to Eric about this.  He said there was a period of time that their barrels were not being produced to the quality they would have liked, but the barrels were well within acceptable tolerances in the industry and that was all the stock they had.  Eric says the barrel quality was comparable to his personal Colt Commander, in his opinion.   Part of the problem with producing a gun like the R-9 is finding a barrel supplier that will produce such limited quantities of barrels.  They struggled with parts issues and suppliers from time to time.

There was time when company policy was that Eric was not speaking to customers and information was going through Maria.  Eric says he never refused to talk to a customer when he was available and permitted to do so by company policy.

Regardless, I guess all of this is ancient history at this point.  Barrells will be coming from a different source, customer service will be handled by a much larger company, and speaking to one of the owners of the company won't even be a possiblity...   ;)
Duane (DDGator)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I collect Colts of all types, mostly Gold Cups and I have over 50 at least.

Believe me, Colt would not have used this barrel.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:31:19 AM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Hopefully the barrels will be improved going forward.

Hopefully you have time to shoot all of your Gold cups MRC. If not please feel free to send a couple my way : ) I like .45 ACP

What's with the attraction to the colt gold cup anyway?

How many pistols do you two have? Wow!

Sounds like an awful lot of know how in each dept IMO.

How about those pacers?   8)

John Stuart Mill