Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210745 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
Richard  -  I must say, very well articulated!

But it is still true that far too many R9's left the factory a few years back that refused to work new out of the box.  I know, I had one and was corresponding with 4 other owners at the time who were experiencing the same difficulties I was.  The R9 I experienced trouble with was in the 405X number range.

JoshA, I know how you feel,  There is nothing more disheartening than to take your brand new $1100 pistol to the range and discover it will not function at all.  It does not help when you enlist the aid of your friends who can't get it to function either and their $300 PF9's run perfectly with the same ammo.  Believe me, I was there.  It is not much fun being the guy with the $1100 POS at the range.

I truly believe that things have gotten much better at Rohrbaugh.  One hardly hears the name Maria on the forum and when I first started coming here to get answers, most were talking to her about their problems.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:40:14 AM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »
I take it you got your problems worked out on your pistol MRC?? I hope :-)

Another day and I'm waiting to hear back from Maria. Left three voicemails over 3 days so far. Is this SOP MRC?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »
I take it you got your problems worked out on your pistol MRC?? I hope :-)

Another day and I'm waiting to hear back from Maria. Left three voicemails over 3 days so far. Is this SOP MRC?

No, that is strange.  I had to wait a couple of weeks as they were in the middle of preparing for the SHOT Show when I was having trouble.  I had no problem with that.

Maria just relayed info to me from Eric.  Limp wristing (not three of us), proper ammo (6 different kinds), proper lubrication(bought super lube and followed Eric's online video).  The fourth time I called Maria I was fed up and asked for Eric.  They took the pistol back.

I found a used one on line, talked with him on the phone about his experiences with the pistol, and bought it from him.  I have never had a failure of any kind with this R9.  Very accurate and completely reliable.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 01:12:39 PM »
Thanks much for the candor.

I REALLY like the concept and design of the R9. Honestly in out current state of the union (not realistically forcasting marshal law in the foreseeable future) I would trade every gun I own to keep the R9 if I had to because of its closeness to perfection IF I could get reliable results.

Crossing my fingers. Thanks again for the candidness MRC.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 05:49:30 PM »
Thanks much for the candor.

I REALLY like the concept and design of the R9. Honestly in out current state of the union (not realistically forcasting marshal law in the foreseeable future) I would trade every gun I own to keep the R9 if I had to because of its closeness to perfection IF I could get reliable results.

Crossing my fingers. Thanks again for the candidness MRC.

I have had my R9 since 2004. I believe it is a gun for advanced shooters who understand the limitations of the design. It might not be the gun for you. When the R9 was released it was the best available. There are many pocket 9mms now. I use 124 gr Gold Dot in mine without problems. I carry it 50% of the time. It is NOT a gun of everyone.  When I bought my first Seecamp in 1985 we had to use Silvertips. Small guns can be temperamental.  If the gun has a problem the company will fit it.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »
Well I am certainly not what I would call an advanced shooter. I have shot quite a bit though.

I love it because it is small and powerful and is typically said to be reliable.

I consider it to be the answer for 99% of all potential defensive conflicts I may find myself in (hopefully don't ever find myself in).

I understand that most threats encountered take place at less than 10 ft and typically end in less than 6 shots fired. The r9 fits the need for this civilian.

That being said, what are the limitations of the design which you speak of?

What is a more fitting pistol for one who wants the best and would want the same size of weapon?

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »
By all means get in touch with Rohrbaugh and see what they will do for you.  It might be something simple like the firing pin retainer like on John's and several other's R9's. I have never seen a pistol that could not be fixed yet.

As far as finding a pistol the size and as light as the R9, there are none.  My favorite is the Kimber Solo.  It is heavier but is also much easier to shoot fast and accurately.  The PM9 is a close second.  Shape wise a little harder to carry.

As far as the R9 not being for everyone, when they won't work they certainly aren't.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
Well I am certainly not what I would call an advanced shooter. I have shot quite a bit though.

I love it because it is small and powerful and is typically said to be reliable.

I consider it to be the answer for 99% of all potential defensive conflicts I may find myself in (hopefully don't ever find myself in).

I understand that most threats encountered take place at less than 10 ft and typically end in less than 6 shots fired. The r9 fits the need for this civilian.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:23:38 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:12 PM »

Clamp your R9 in a Ranson Rest and test fire it.  If it fires the fault is in your shooting technique. If it doesn't it has a mechanical problem and needs to go back to the factory.

NRA Life Member

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »
That's an awesome idea Jack. I will see if I can locate this ranson rest and give it a whirl. Thanks sir!!

MRC: thanks for the input. How does the solo carry in the pocket? My 938 is just a smidge too big for pocket carry IMHO (also not wild about single action in the pocket). I think they are about the same size. Do you carry the solo IWB?

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 08:03:57 AM »
A Ransom Rest will require special grip inserts to test your pistol, I believe.  At least any other pistol I have seen tested does and I am sure no one would have inserts for a R9.

Let someone else who is an experienced shooter of small, pocket type 9mm shoot it.  Better yet have 2 or 3 shoot it with as many types of ammo as you can find.  Make sure it is good quality, self defense type ammo.  That's what I did when Eric R said it had to be my fault because they do not have trouble with their pistols.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 10:23:10 AM »
Good point. The ranges I go to don't have these ransom rests and I saw them online for $400-$500, so I will attempt this idea.

Is your solo a pocket carry for you or more of a holster gun like my sig 938?

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »
PM sent

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »
MRC, what does PM sent mean?

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »
Personal message.  Look under your messages at top of page.