Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210725 times)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
I'd love to sell it.  I paid $1200 for it a couple months ago.  It jams on everything. 

What can I get for it? 

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »

Only way to find out is to list it for sale.  Certainly enough to buy two Rugers and some ammo.   ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
Great. I'll take a $1,000 to be done with it.  Should I disclose that it appears to be defective in my opinion.  Or just list the estimated rounds I've shot through it.  Maybe I'm not holding it correctly, or it needs some ammo I haven't tried yet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:26:13 PM by bobsmith »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
2 mags of speer Gold dot 124 gr down the pipe with no hitches. No FTF/FTE

I will continue to post.

2 mags per day.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
Bob: have you tried to run 124 or 147 grain yet?

I noticed you have only posted 8 times. These guys have helped me get alot more reliability out of my USED R9 that I bought.

I was having alot of issues out of 115 gr ammo of every type.

I haven't tried any 147 gr yet but I can tell you that hot barrels, recoil weakened hands and (for mine) 115 gr ammo only increase a bad attitude that my R9 can get when not treated the way it prefers.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »
I was looking for a quality gun I could trust and carry.  Not something that only functions under certain circumstances.  It's like buying a set of good tires to use on those long hunting trips and getting flats every single time you drive to the grocery store. 

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »

I'm not sure you are giving it a chance, but that is your perogative.  I have had a couple of expensive guns that didn't work out of the box.  I had an expensive Kimber snap the thumb safety in half the first time I used it.  This stuff happens.  But, it is your life, and your decision.

As for what you disclose, let your conscience be your guide.  If you think it is defective, I guess you should say that.  But I would also say that it has not been back to the factory for warranty service yet.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »
I've heard that Kimber has QC problem as well.  That was one reasons I never even considered them.  How did the repair go?

I was very patient for a few months.  Trying different ammo and waiting a couple days to hear back from the factory when it was functional. Now that it's been almost 2 weeks of being totally ignored I'm frankly a really pissed off customer now.  I had hopes that today they would be taking calls or providing some info on dates.  Maybe an update on the web site with an expected date or updated phone message.  Just to leave everyone in the dark is very disappointing.     

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »

They replaced one MIM part with another and the gun worked fine.  Glad I wasn't really needing it when it broke.

I don't know what else to say.  There is a sea change going on here from one company to another.  Your frustration is properly aimed at the new company, who completely controls the things you are complaining about right now.  Given a complete change in owners/personnell/policies/procedures/phone numbers, etc. -- they are having some down time.  I presume all that is temporary, given the history of the ownership group that we are all presuming has taken over.

I had a similar experience when the Saturn car company shut down.  Even though GM dealers took over the warranty operations for existing customers, there was a lot of confusion.  I was going through some warranty issues at the time and there were some problems, and some delays, even with a muti-billion dollar publicy traded company.   Eventually it worked out and they even extended my warranty for my troubles. 
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2014, 08:31:47 PM »
I was loodoesn't king for a quality gun I could trust and carry.  Not something that only functions under certain circumstances.  It's like buying a set of good tires to use on those long hunting trips and getting flats every single time you drive to the grocery store.
You would be better served with another firearm.  jmo
I like my R9 (since the first year they where sold)  IT IS NOT A GUN FOR THE MASSES! ALL auto loaders will have malfunctions ...I own or have owned all major autos. If you don't have confidence in a gun it really doesn't matter what company sold it.  Been there done that...... :) I have sold many guns because I didn't have confidence in them. 
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2014, 09:39:20 PM »
Have you shot 124 or 147 grain Gold dot yet?

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2014, 12:14:03 AM »
No I have not shot 124 or 147 Gold Dot through it.  I was told by the company when I talked to them it was designed for 115 and I got what they suggested. I think they even discouraged the use of 147.

I've got a number of other autos that never jam I can carry. I assumed that if I paid this amount of money for for something it would be reliable.  When it didn't work I assumed the manufactured would support the product as I was told how great they are. 

If this is the expected and normal performance than I would agree the R9 is not the gun for me.  I'd like something that works as good as it looks.     

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Just curious ... How many jams do you guess you may be getting per clip?

Don't worry about answering of you aren't interested in trying to figure out how to make the pistol work. See, I'm stuck having to try to make mine work. What??? That's crazy talk with over 20 carry style pistols in my safe, right? Well if you read all of my posts it's not. I don't really consider myself a perfectionist, BUT I do seek for products that are as close to perfection as humanly possible.

The R9 close to perfection? I thought you sAid it jammed every 16 or so rounds on the recommended 115 gr silvertip diet! That's not even close. I admit its finicky and can even be frustrating to learn. In fact it was so much so that I kept it in the safe and carried my other pistols, BUT I couldn't resist the urge to keep getting it out and work the kinks out. Why? Simply put, there is no other handgun on the face of planet earth that does and is what the R9 does and is. It is as close to perfect as can be EXCEPT it's not reliable which makes it a POJ. Then I come the this forum and see how intelligent and knowledgeable and experience (most are not spring chicks on this forum :) with no agenda that I can uncover LOVE their R9's. Hmmmmm.

Well I'm still not there yet. I truly want to be because I have the baddest looking, most powerful for its size, most comfortable for carry (9mm) that is somewhat hand fit, highly revered pistolé in the history of mankind on the late great planet earth! Inconceivable : ) now, can I implement some tricks from this site or send it back to the R bros and get the same reliability that other R fanatics are experiencing???????? I HAVE to find out.

Now I must say, I realize e I am kind of bent. Even weird, but I can afford to be so I want the best. I have a few minutes this winter to give it a fair shake.

So far, I have found that 124 Gold Dots (I don't care what the factory says, I think Kimber is on to something on their findings on 124 and heavier bullets making these little guns more reliable) have dramatically improved my success. I went from 1 in 16 misfires to 1 in 2 in 68 and those where after firing a lot of rounds. Now I am only firing one clip at a time to stave off fatigue. We will see : )

Not for everybody. Maybe not for you, but for me I want to love my Rohrbaugh. Not sure if I can crack the code. More to come later : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
Addendum to last post:

*i said misfire. I should have said FTE

sorry. I am admittedly a greenhorn compared to others on the site. Also called my mag a clip : ) greenhorn! Lol. Sorry to all of you purists

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
If this is the expected and normal performance than I would agree the R9 is not the gun for me.   

That is neither expected or normal -- as should be very clear from reading this board.  We are not a collection of enthusiasts who carry unfired or poorly functioning pistols to protect ourselves and our families.   However, I have said all I can on the subject at this point.
Duane (DDGator)