Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 212128 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »
7 consecutive mags.

This is so much better than my experience with 115 WST.

TOTAL OF 2 FTE in 87 rounds. Better every day.

Thanks to the guy who told me to just fire one clip at a time! Thanks for all of the help. When this box of GD is finished i am going to work on some 124 gr lawman rounds and call this thing good before I use up my 200 rds on the spring as ddgator suggests.

Anyone else have an opinion on how many consecutive rounds should be ran through a gun that has given issue to "prove it"?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2014, 11:46:32 PM »
A couple more and call it good.  Why mess with the lawman if you have something that works.  I'd just clean it up and do something else until springs are available. 

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2014, 07:33:14 AM »
Thanks bobsmith.

I agree with ya. I do have extra springs, but I'm not really wanting to push the envelope.

I am interested to see how yours performs with the 124 GD if you buy some sir.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2014, 08:00:31 AM »
Thanks to the guy who told me to just fire one clip at a time!

You're welcome. At least, I think that was me!  ;D

Next issue is keeping track of rounds fired in order to decide about when to replace the spring. That's a situation I don't know anything about and maybe others will comment here.

I would think this might be a matter of "I've exceeded xxx rounds; next test mag I fire I'll do having installed a new spring first."

"Shoot a little, carry a lot."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:02:14 AM by MaxBlack »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:58 AM »
Thanks Max! That combined with the 124 GD has probably helped me really get this thing working for me! Very helpful sir!!

Yes I would normally clean every 24-30 rounds so if I get around 180 rounds or so and it's clean time I will just change out.

Tracking is easy for me now since I am tracking rounds for testing purposes.

After I am confident in the gun I may lock tight the grip screws and fire 6-12 clips a year. That would mean on the high side I would then be changing the springs every 2.5 years.

Anyone have good success with the Orings keeping screws tight?

I've already got a few screws loose... Don't need to worry about the R9 too.

Getting closer to carrying with confidence every time it goes BANG and I don't end up with a casing lodged in the ejection port.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »
I've already got a few screws loose...

Yours have been among the most interesting and informative posts that I have seen here and I thank you for them!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2014, 02:07:11 PM »
Thanks and thanks again for the great recommendation!

Has anyone had good success with the Orings?

I actually rattled my screws loose with lock right on mine  :o

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2014, 02:13:34 PM »
O-rings have worked well for me with no loctite. Loctite can work against you and cause screws to strip when overdone.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
I have the Yankee screws and O-rings.  I occasionally remove grips and clean the oil out of the screw holes with pipe cleaners.  I still get loose grip screws after firing...solution is simple, just tighten them after each session and keep a hex wrench in your range.  Carry with confidence since the screws do not come loose in your holster.

IMO DO NOT USE LOCTITE!  If you strip a screw you may end up with a new frame...happened to me when after the repair of my out of spec firing pin retainer it came back from the factory with loctite and even with heating and use of a high quality wrench the upper right side screw stripped when I tried to change to my VZ's.  Karl basically gave me a new frame at his expense because they could not remove the stripped screw at the factory.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »
Makes sense to me. I have actually drilled a snug fitting hole in my R9 holster that that my Allen wrench fits into without any worry of losing it or not having it with me.

Another point that the factory recommendation is different than some guys on the forum.

I'm glad that mine rattled out so I don't have to worry about getting them out with heat etc.

I am trying to reach Yankee. I'm sure he is on vacation or something and will get me some of those puppies. Not into issues with my EDC. Sounds like a good fix too.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
Well the eight consecutive mag went off without a hitch tonight. That makes 49 (one full pistol and 6 clips only) rounds in a row after a one handed FTE which was probably due to limp wrist.

So all in all I have 2 FTE WHICH I BLAME ON LIMPWRISTING since switching to 124 GD 86 rounds ago!!!

I really am tempted to say I love my Rohrbaugh, BUT I'm kinda wanting a few more rounds down the pipe before I sign off totally. I'm real close to believing in this gun's ability to be drawn and fired successfully but after the issues i experienced I stil have a minor aftertaste of White Castle cheeseburgers in my proverbial mouth. The only thing worse than the aftertaste is the aftermath (any of you who don't know what I mean will have to go to White Castle to find out).

So we are getting very close to where we want to be IMHO. I'm excited about these new found results : )

Now why will no one answer this one lingering question????????

"for those of you who CAN fire 115 gr successfully, do you have any problem with the 124 gr GD?"

This is an important question for all future Rohrbaugh R9 owners IMO because of the the royal pain I and many other have gone through and guys like poor Bob who spend $1300 on a gun and then have to spend all of their spare time finding this ammo and that ammo and talk to Maria if they are lucky and then wonder "what did I do, I'm a retard" and then buy that ammo and finally get to the range to be frustrated yet again and all along NOBODY you know has a Rohrbaugh to help and then you say to yourself I'm going to go on line and then you find some sore heads saying how you can buy 2 of this and 2 of that etc which then really gets yer blood boiling and THEN you find this forum if your lucky. At least that was my experience.

Not cool.

Well if they do what kimber is doing with the Solo BECAUSE IT WORKS BETTER WITH MOST LITTLE GUNS REPORTEDLY (please correct me if I'm wrong- I said I'm a greenhorn compared to many on this site) then a ton of these issues would be eradicated for future users. Then people can try 115 if they want rather than the other way around.

I've posed the question at least 3 times so far, but I'm not getting a response. I know you guys care about other people's experience with the gun, so why not?

Here it goes once more... 

"for those of you who CAN fire 115 gr successfully, do you have any problem with the 124 gr GD?"

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »

My answer is no. I think the reason you didn't receive any answer is that many of us experienced equal success in reliability with both, but one was preferred over the other for whatever reason. There are no pat answers to your question. Your reliability issue was solved in part by switching to 124 gr. but the reverse of that scenario is a non sequitur.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2014, 10:43:15 PM »
Thanks for answering Tracker.

So are you saying that your R9 will shoot 115 reliably and that it will not shoot 124 GD reliably?

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2014, 10:57:24 PM »

I repeat: some of us shot 115gr. and 124 gr. both equally reliable, i.e., the bullet weight did not affect reliability with many of us as it did you.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2014, 11:17:07 PM »
Not to be pompous or annoying, but the question isn't "did some fire both reliably, but rather did someone fire 115 reliably and NOT fire 124 reliably?"

The reason I ask is this... If you fire 115 and 124 equally reliable it does nothing to say that 115 or 124 is a better recomendation for the R9. I understand a smaller percentage of folks can shoot both well.

Now if you can shoot 124 and not 115 reliably then that obviously says your weapon prefers 124 which I think most of us are experiencing (hence the whole reason for asking why do Maria and R bros verbally recomend 115?)

Finally IF there is a case out there where someone can reliably shoot 115 and CAN NOT reliably shoot 124 (I still have not found this instance in all of the posts I've read) then this would debunk what is only a theory at this point.

Theory being... The R9 prefers 124 over 115 like the Solo and other tight little guns.

I know it is stated on THIS FORUM to find what yours likes and give it only that, but it takes some of us slower folks awhile to find the forum : ) other info is pointing folks to 115 which this site seems to indicate isn't the fav of the R9

Fyi Tracker: I've read a ton of your posts and you are quite helpful and VERY well versed on the R9. your statements have helped me ALOT getting "on track" with my R9.

Thanks for reading. If anyone would be so kind to step up to the microphone and let the good folks here at this forum know if you have the R9 that shoots 115 reliably and NOT 124 I know I personally would be interested to either validate or debunk this theory.

Thanks fellas.  :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:22:17 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill