Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210671 times)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2014, 12:11:55 AM »
I would guess many stopped with what worked and since 115 was the suggestion by the factory when it worked they didn't mess around with other stuff.

"if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it"

My plan was to shoot 50 or so rounds of FMJ.  Then a box of Gold Dot, and not much more after that.

Offline JEFFPENE

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2014, 07:43:44 AM »

My plan was to shoot 50 or so rounds of FMJ.  Then a box of Gold Dot, and not much more after that.
[/quote]

Now that sounds like a plan!

Offline JEFFPENE

« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2014, 07:45:04 AM »

Now that sounds like a plan!
[/quote]

One that makes sense,............... to me anyway

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2014, 09:41:24 AM »
I agree with you Bob.

And that did sound like a reasonable plan. Wish it would have worked for ya, but you ended up in the same boat I was in. Frustrated with factory recommendations.

So how about it? Any of you experimenters out there that fired their 115 successfully and then still wanted to try some 124??????

If so you could greatly help the Rogrbaugh's success if this little theory is correct.

Surely the boys at Rohrbaugh know the answer to this as they have extensively test fired their baby.

Wonder why they recomend 115 primarily when so many struggle?

Any guesses or informed answers?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2014, 11:13:49 AM »
Josh

Every R9 is different.  My first one was not reliable with anything but Bazer aluminum.  I never use that stuff but I was desperate.  I tried 115's, 124's, and 147,s.  Nothing worked.

The second R9 I have will work with any ammunition I have tried.  115's, 124's, and 147's all work. I have not had one single failure with it. I have only used premium self defense type ammo though.  No cheap FMJ's.

Part of the R9's ammo problems in my opinion is the extremely light weight slide.  All other manufacturers rely partially on slide weight to help the gun function.  Springs are not as reliable as good old mass to delay the slide opening.

JMO

P.S.  Both the Solo's I have owned will work fine with 115 grain ammunitition in contrast to the company recommendations. 

Again, only premium self defense type ammo which is loaded hotter.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:17:54 AM by MRC »

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
Josh

Every R9 is different.  My first one was not reliable with anything but Bazer aluminum.  I never use that stuff but I was desperate.  I tried 115's, 124's, and 147,s.  Nothing worked.

The second R9 I have will work with any ammunition I have tried.  115's, 124's, and 147's all work. I have not had one single failure with it. I have only used premium self defense type ammo though.  No cheap FMJ's.

Part of the R9's ammo problems in my opinion is the extremely light weight slide.  All other manufacturers rely partially on slide weight to help the gun function.  Springs are not as reliable as good old mass to delay the slide opening.

JMO

P.S.  Both the Solo's I have owned will work fine with 115 grain ammunitition in contrast to the company recommendations. 

Did you ever get the first one working?  Did you ever request that it be repaired or looked over by the factory?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2014, 07:50:57 PM »
Thanks for the input MRC.

So we have the first pistol that was probably a POJ and needed some factory help from what I read.

Then we have a piece of factory perfection that will fire any weight apparently.

There is at least one (and maybe 2) other kinds of Rohrbaugh R9 out on the streets as we speak.

The first subject is my type of R9 that only likes 124 (and probably heavier) primo ammo. 115 won't run dependably, but 124 GD will.

I am wondering if there is a fourth kind of R9. The one that runs 115 but will NOT 124. This is the gun that no one in all of my reading exists. Every time I ask for that gun owner to speak up he is silent.

If the theory that this illusive beast does not exist is correct that would probably indicate that (once again) the factory folks would serve a greater body of the R9 owners by recommending 124 PRIMARILY (unless there is another reason they don't want to do this).

You can't help the first gun type with a different ammo.

You can't help or hurt the second gun type with a different ammo 

You can help the third (I suspect the majority of R9 owners are here) gun type by PRIMARILY recommending 124 primo/GD

I don't think number four exists, and if it does then 115 as the primary recomendation may still be a good idea if its not 2 in 6000 guns that are like this.

Minor thing that may save major headaches and sore head owners if correct.

Please help with feedback fellas. Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:38:53 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »
Josh

JMO

Did you ever get the first one working?  Did you ever request that it be repaired or looked over by the factory?

Yes, iwent through the same ritual you guys went through.  Proper cleaning and lubrication.(They were recommending Super lube back then).  Get good ammo.  Use a firm grip, etc.

I spent $250 on ammo, had two of my friends shoot it, and I still only fired a full magazine with Blaser Aluminum.  Every kind of ammunition that failed in the R9 was 100% in my PM9 and my two friend's PF-9's.  By the way the Rohrbaugh cost more than the other three guns combined.

I finally blew up at Maria when she told me they do not have trouble with their guns so it must be something I was doing wrong.  I asked to speak to Eric and she offered to buy the gun back which I jumped at the offer.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:38:08 PM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »
Well glad to hear that they bought it back at least.

Wanna trade R9's MRC?

Mine is really awesome now : ))

JK. It's cool you have one that will shoot anything. I'm only slightly jealous.

I am happy to report that mag #9 went 7/7 bringing an end to the 2nd box and a begininning to the third. 3 FTE out of 100.

2 out of the first box.

1 out of the second.

I feel all three were probably limp wrist related. Kinda worries me that a guy would have to have a perfect grip (or anything) in a high stress situation.

Well after 300 or so rounds through the gun I'm getting the hang of it hopefully. Wish I could carry a larger gun, but I'm really stuck on the R9 platform.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But+ TAKE POLL PLEASE :)
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
Please take 2 seconds to fill out the simple poll at the top of this page.

Thanks fellas : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2014, 12:59:03 AM »
I think I have decided to shoot the R9 until one of these 3 things happen.

1) I love the R9 and it totally wins my confidence (we are getting closer not further away: )

2) shoot it until it's broke and decide it may not be the gun for me

3) shoot it until I'm broke and can't afford any more high dollar ammo. Lol

I think the next box will be tell tale (sure hope so)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:15:32 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
Well I am surprised to see the results from the poll so far! I must say, I didn't see that coming.

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »

JoshA,

I don't love the idea of a poll...   It would have no scientific value and the "results" -- although not too disappointing so far -- could be used inappropriately by people who have an agenda.

Although I don't ever censor negative comments, I am inclined to shut this one down -- or at least ask you to do so. 

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2014, 05:05:40 PM »
I could only vote once and I have had two R9's.  (i voted the positive one)

There should be a category for:

"I don't shoot mine, I only look at it."

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »
Sent PM to ya DDGator.

Thanks. Let me know how you would like me to proceed sir.

John Stuart Mill