Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 211753 times)

Offline trident

Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But+ TAKE POLL PLEASE :)
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »
Poll shows  nothing imo.

FWIW ...mine has only been fed 124gr hst never even tried any others. Its been flawless, but maybe 115 will work maybe not , maybe 90gr might work oh maybe 147 maybe maybe....maybe.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Your experience is kinda unusual IMO since factory recommends 115 and you have never even tried 115. That's kinda rare Trident. I THINK most people either just try any old ammo and run into trouble (or not???) and then do research or go with factory recommendations. Or they start with factory recommendation and stay with it until frustrated or just love their R9 because it gives em no issues whatsoever (like you you lucky cat! Lol)

Anyway I thought the poll may result in an interesting find. Perhaps not :)

I don't understand how gathering data is not helpful though. Just me. I'm a trouble shooter and data is king. The one caveat is bad data. So perhaps that's a concern. Aside from junk being entered into the equation (you almost always get some of this when trying to troubleshoot I.e. People lying, people figuring or reporting inaccurately, people wanting to sound like a know it all when they don't know anything etc.). These things are always in the mix when dealing with data, but I believe most people have better things to do in life than just hate on someone's product. Just my opinion.

DDGator: I still haven't received a response from the PM I sent ya sir. I will take the poll down if you like or you can do it. I just had the one idea for ya before I did it sir.

Thanks fellas.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:48:25 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline trident

« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2014, 07:13:29 PM »
I think factory said something like I use 115gr silvertips , not really a set in stone recommendation like early seecamps for example.  I started with a proven short barrel round, I dont waste time on unproven rounds myself.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »

The following is from the Rohrbaugh web site FAQ:

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/faq

Anything else regarding "recommended ammo" is rumor, conversation, undocumented e-mails, or anecdotal speculation.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2014, 07:26:12 PM »
...or one on one conversations with Maria and one of the Rohrbaugh's. I have had conversations with both. However I said he said she said. I get it.

Well here is the official quote:

What kind of ammo can I shoot from my Rohrbaugh pistol?
Use only original high quality factory manufactured (no reloaded) 9mm standard pressure parabellum ammunition in good condition. DO NOT USE +P OR +P+ AMMUNITION. Your Rohrbaugh Pistol has a short barrel to minimize overall size. +P or +P+ ammunition will not result in increased performance but can cause undue wear and failure of the mechanism. Use 380 ACP for your 9mm Kurz.

Without the help of this forum I would say that there would be a lot of more unhappy campers or the other R9's fire other stuff pretty good (except for a few).

I see a lot of people who really rely on 124 GD on this forum. Seems like several of us struggle with 115.

Oh well. I don't know why I care. I kinda figured out (thanks for the help fellas) mine and obviously I am swimming against the current by getting this detailed or specific when the sages haven't found it necessary to do so.

But wait... That brings me full circle in my thinking. I'm trying to take my unhappy experience and a lot of other people's experience and boil down at least one kernel of wisdom for others to benefit by. Where am I off base? Why is this type of musing so annoying? Where is my logic inaccurate?  Oh cruel world!! Lol. Whatevs.

Take my dumb poll off. See if I care. I'm just a gun loving, 42 year old, overweight, dad of five (this helps me accept disapproval in so many ways :) living the American dream trying to help another bloke along.

It's all good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:08:43 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But + NOT SO INTERESTING POLL
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2014, 09:15:11 PM »

Sorry for the delay -- I was out to dinner with my lovely wife on our wedding anniversary.   8)

My thought is this...  I don't know that people lie in responding, but it is not a random sampling at all.  With the possible exception of this forum, the internet tends to attract people who are unhappy with their products.  I would usually expect a poll to generate a lot of negative responses.  In this case, you will mostly get responses from a few people who have not gotten tired of reading this lengthy thread...   ;)

People then use the results of such polls to say things like -- "A poll of Rohrbaugh owners shows that 50% of their pistols don't function reliably -- according to the Rohrbaugh Forum."   Sounds authoritative, but it is a bunch of crap.

In this case, the poll is overwhelmingly showing most R-9s work great.  Even so, I don't love it.  However, I think my request seems much more reasonable while the results are still overwhelmingly positive.  If the results reflected poorly, I would be accused of being a "fan boy."  I don't like the poll regardless of how the results are trending.

That being said -- I think I will take it down.   I'm not offended by the attempt to gather info -- I'm just not comfortable with the methodology.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
Happy anniversary sir. Congrats.

As for the poll, very well Duane.

I respect your decision and it makes more sense now that you explain your concern.

Thanks for explaining.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:29:15 PM by DDGator »

John Stuart Mill

Offline Griff

• Expert
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But (minus) NOT SO INTERESTING POLL
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »
Josh, welcome to the club.  I haven't posted in a while, and just read through this discussion.

I have put all kinds of ammo through my R9s, and haven't had any problems at all, except for Hornady Critical Defense. It was having regular failures to ignite. After doing some info net research, I found that it is accused of having hard primers. I think that the R9, because of its small size, just can't produce the force necessary to consistently light hard primers. My experience anyway.

As to the 115 vs. 124 grain issue.  It may be that 115 is deemed better because of hollow point expansion reasons.  Heavier bullets move slower and may not reach the critical speed necessary to fully expand, possibly making the lighter 115 more effective in short barrel pistols.

But, and this is a big but, 124 grain on target is for sure much more effective than 115 in the stove pipe.

I think that in many cases, the kind of people that are drawn to Rohrbaughs, are the same type that are willing to invest the money, time, research, experimentation, etc. to have what we here passionately believe is the Perfect Undercover Pistol(pup).

I am glad to see that your persistence is paying off.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
Thanks Griff.

It seems all 4 of my FTE's in the last 113 rounds (last 13 rounds were SPEER LAWMAN)are when I look back and can't remember exactly if I was gripping and locking up perfectly. It seems when I am really thinking about it I can do quite well. When I am just shooting it wants to FTE.

This worries me that in a firefight I will fail. I don't trust me very much. Granted if I Carry one in the chamber I at least have a fine derringer, BUT when I read guys reports like yours, Richards and some of the others I wonder if my extractor does need tweaked or something. It just seems a little too finicky.

Do you think with 4 FTE's out of 113 rounds of quality 124 grain fired while trying to be as conscientious as I can be it is worth a trip to the new factory when they reopen?

I'm not ecstatic with the results quite frankly.

What do you think sir?

I like CS Lewis BTW. That's a great quote I've not seen until seeing it on one of your previous posts.  Good stuff :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:51:04 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »
Hey Josh,

Not to spend your money... ;)  but why not try 147g?

If you search me you'll find a couple of range reports, different bullet weights, manufacturers, etc. I carry 147g for a couple of reasons, one of them is how well it works for me, and worked for the guy I bought my R9 from. I prefer heavier bullets.

That aside I agree with you, having to concentrate too hard on grip while shooting might be a concern. Some say (Mas Ayoob, for example) that if you need to shoot for real, you'll be crushing the grip. He's probably right. Far more than limp-wrist failures, on the street under stress we often see "too many" rounds fired. -So you'll probably be okay.

The question is, does that satisfy you? If you worry about limp wristing an R9, you'll likely have the same issue with a Seecamp, LCP, etc..

So, no kidding here, have you tried a J frame, or similar?

-No ammo sensitivity, no grip-related failure.

If you search me you'll also find some observations regarding the R9 vs. the J. I've come to prefer the former, but you're unlikely to hear me knock the latter.  :)

Good luck,  8)

Doug

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »

It seems all 4 of my FTE's in the last 113 rounds (last 13 rounds were SPEER LAWMAN)are when I look back and can't remember exactly if I was gripping and locking up perfectly. It seems when I am really thinking about it I can do quite well. When I am just shooting it wants to FTE.

Do you think with 4 FTE's out of 113 rounds of quality 124 grain fired while trying to be as conscientious as I can be it is worth a trip to the new factory when they reopen?

I'm not ecstatic with the results quite frankly.

What do you think sir?

Josh,
My opinion is that in an emergency situation I would want to be able to pull my firearm and be confident that it would fire a full magazine under whatever circumstance I found myself. It should function with one hand, two hands, weak side, upside down, or however.
I saw that you have many other options including a .380 Seecamp. I would probably put the Pup away until the factory reopened, and carry something else that I trusted until they can take a look at it.
Or, if I had the financial resources, buy a new pup, and pass it by the WIFE RADAR as an investment.
I have a feeling that your used one may have had a known pre-existing condition that you inherited.

I bought a used 1911 a while back, always wanted one, that experienced a catastrophic failure at the range. It went back to Springfield Armory and was repaired under warranty, but will be relegated as a range toy until it has successfully regained my confidence.

I probably will not be buying any more used guns for real world use.
We live, we learn, we try not to make the same mistakes twice in a row.
Let us know which way you go.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2014, 08:34:08 PM »
Sound like words of wisdom from both of ya.

Douglas: I will try some 147 gr. What brand fires well for ya?

As for a J- my first gun (which I still own) is a S&W 642. I'm VERY sensitive to Added weight or in that case bulk. I want to carry everywhere all the time. If I'm not comfortable (I even struggle with a shield) I won't carry and so I need to get the R9 fixed. I think it has a prob. Small, but a problem.

Griff: I'm totally with ya. I don't like lack of confidence in my EDC (I guess that was a duh).

Thanks for the help and this confirms my suspensions as well.

I will try 147 and the. Back to the factory if I can't figure it out with 147.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:36:55 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »

Douglas: I will try some 147 gr. What brand fires well for ya?

As for a J- my first gun (which I still own) is a S&W 642. I'm VERY sensitive to Added weight or in that case bulk. I want to carry everywhere all the time. If I'm not comfortable (I even struggle with a shield) I won't carry and so I need to get the R9 fixed. I think it has a prob. Small, but a problem.

I will try 147 and the. Back to the factory if I can't figure it out with 147.

We use Federal Hydra Shoks. That's my standard. The newer HST are supposed to be great. I haven't tried.

I've also used 147g Speer Gold Dots without issue.

Too bad on the 642. I have one. Love it. I find the more "organic" shape of the revolver, the curves and bulges, make it conceal better than the boxy semi-autos, and I find revolvers much easier to draw from the pocket (which is where I usually carry the little guns.) There's also the advantage in contact shooting and shooting from the pocket.

Anyway, that said I understand if you prefer the R9. I do too!   ;D

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2014, 09:16:18 PM »
Thanks Douglas:

I will look up some 147 quality stuff.

Also, how do you carry the 642? I'm a Levi blue jeans guy (only wear dress pants on Sunday typically) so I don't think the 642 conceals to my liking there. What is a Prefered IWB for it? Or how do you carry?

I will order some 147 gold dot or hydra shocks or HST.

Thanks again.

Too bad no one else in the entire Indianapolis area that I know of carries an R9. I would love to get some range time in with an experienced user and get a second (hands-on) opinion. Oh well. We'll keep trying.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
Oh, also what is a link to the forum discussion about j frames. Sorry.

John Stuart Mill