Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 211846 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... But (minus) NOT SO INTERESTING POLL
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
Actually no need to send the link sir,  I just went ahead and read 3 pages of your posts Douglas. Interesting read. It's good to get an officers take on what works in the handgun world. I carry for a what if. You carry with much more awareness of the evil that lurks out there. Not to mention the shared experience of what works with fellow officers. My son wants to be and officer. He's a 17 year old junior with plans of LE courses at college.

Looks like your R9 serves you well.

One word of curiosity on one of your posts I read talking about how the R9 should hold up as well as any other pistols (within reason) ... I am a little concerned about some of the more intricate parts shaking loose. One in particular has been mentioned on this post. It's the block that holds the firing pin right where the hammer strikes it. Mine has the smallest wiggle to it. Some have reported issues with this piece which did not allow the slide to cycle properly. I think the frame and slide are solid. If the screw are always tightened there isn't a whole lot I fear but just wonder if it could hold together after thousands of rounds without several trips in for adjustments.

Perhaps Guncats will help us know the answer to that a little better.

Finally: I'm on my 3rd VW Jetta TDI. Love em.

Sorry so many topics.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »

Also, how do you carry the 642? I'm a Levi blue jeans guy (only wear dress pants on Sunday typically) so I don't think the 642 conceals to my liking there. What is a Prefered IWB for it? Or how do you carry?

Everyone is different, but I carry a j-frame in front jeans pocket quite often.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
Try the Gold Dots or Hydras first, at least I can speak for them in mine.

I'm a blue jeans guy myself. Desantis Nemesis in the pocket. No doubt the R9 carries easier, but the J draws better

I have an IWB for the J as well, some type of Desantis nylon, don't remember the version. I don't use it anymore. I used to, when I carried the J as a back up years ago.

Nowadays, if I carry any way besides pocket, I carry a bigger gun. If I go IWB, I carry a G26.

I've read the firing pin thing. It sounds like a clear culprit in some people's problems. Honestly, I've never checked mine but I would recommend it.

Tell your son to be a doctor!  ;)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
I'll see if I can manage the J in the front pocket again until I get the R9 running smoother. Thanks DD and Douglas.

I will pass the message on to my 17-year-old to look into a career as a doctor. LOL

I AM GETTING THE 147's for sure. Thanks guys.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »
Well per Douglas' instructions I now have ...

150- 147 gr GD

20-   147 gr hydra shok

50-  147 gr fed hi shok (anybody have experience with these? 50 rd $25)

...on the way from ammunition depot.

Let's see if we can do better than 109 out of 113 in 124 gr (97 out of 100 for the GD)

My hand doesn't hurt quite enough ...yet :) it's actually not too bad to shoot the R9 unless I shoot 50 consecutive rounds. Now the Seecamp .380 on the other hand... :o U C H
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:35:34 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »
Josh

One other thing that has not been brought up and you might look into if you think that        "limp- wristing" is a possibility is changing the grips.  The stock Rohrbaugh grips are way to slick and flat to my thinking.  VZ grips look better and give the shooter much more grip.   

Also magazine extensions work very well if you can find some.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2014, 12:49:58 PM »
Thanks MRC.

I have a GREAT LOOKING pair of  VZ's on the R9.

Great idea on the mag extensions. Anybody know how to get one or two?

Also, do they impede in the pocket carry much?

I contacted one fella and he recommended Pearce brand. I was hoping for non-plastic ones if anyone makes em.

Thanks a bunch once again MRC.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2014, 01:01:55 PM »
Here is an observation for someone to comment on.

I just cleaned the R9 after 2 clips. I noticed what I've noticed a lot in the past, but was somewhat surprised to see it after just 12 rounds.

There is always fine powder like metal on the inside of the gun when cleaned. It is something that I was originally somewhat alarmed by and then read somewhere that the gun is so tight that there is nowhere for debris to go so it needs cleaned more frequently, but I haven't seen this kind of thing on any other of my pistols so I'm wondering if this is normal or not.

It primarily showed up on the end of q-tips. I detect some type of metallic powder shining amongst the goo.

Anybody else get this?

Should I be concerned? Could this be pointing to the heart of the problem?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:52:23 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT **SEEING METALLIC DUST 😳
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »

I had a good range session today. Ran 37 rounds of 124 Lawamn through the R9- it fired excellent each time. 1 FTE out of the box of 50 which occurred the other day.

With 124 grain gold dots we were 97/100

Speer Lawman 124 grain we were 49/50

Bringing my R9 up to 146/150 or 97%

with 124 to date

as opposed to 14/15 or 93% with 115 grain WST

Of course I've learned alot of other tips from you guys that have helped as well. Perhaps once I'm shooting at 100% i'll run some more WST to see how my particular R9 runs with the other tricks up my sleeve.

Looking forward to trying the 147 gr when it arrives to see if I can get the results Douglas experiences.

Until then, the S&W shield rides iwb. Shirt untucked looking all unprofessionnal. Oh, wait a minute, I always look that way :))))

I realize few may still be reading this post and fewer still willing to reply at this point however i do have an alarming question; is metallic dust after 2 clips par for the course fellas?

I'm kinda not thinking so. What do you think is causing this dust? Not seen this in any of the other pistols I clean regularly.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT ** now shooting 124 gr 97% reliably!!
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »
I noticed a little in mine.  I'm not an R9 expert as I'm new to ownership so others might know more about it. 

I think when we have issues with one thing we start to examine everything under a microscope trying to find a problem in our limited experiences.  When I looked inside similar designed guns (steel slides on alloy frames) I found similar wear marks.  The dust is most likely coming from the Al alloy frame where the steel makes contact with the Al. I've got a S&W 6906 that has less than 300 rounds through it and found the same wear marks on the frame. 

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
Makes sense. My frame is looking kinda beat up.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »
Makes sense. My frame is looking kinda beat up.

I might part mine out if I can't get it fixed.  Interested in an almost new frame?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
Pm sent

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT **SEEING METALLIC DUST 😳
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »
Is metallic dust after 2 clips par for the course fellas?

I'm kinda not thinking so. What do you think is causing this dust? Not seen this in any of the other pistols I clean regularly.

Any comments from some more experienced R9ers?

Think it's the AL shaving off?

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »
What are you using for lube?  That can be critical for alloy frame pistols.