Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 211837 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT ** now shooting 124 gr 97% reliably!!
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2014, 07:16:10 AM »
Eezox and frog lube now.

Started with hoppes elite gun oil.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2014, 07:17:03 AM »
Do you see this metallic dusting when cleaning yours MRC?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2014, 08:03:41 AM »
Not really, but I have not shot it for a long time and I never shot a lot of rounds between cleaning like you seem to be doing.

Posting pictures before and after cleaning would be a big help.

As far as lube, I have never used eezox on anything but Seecamps and I have never used Frog Lube but hear great things about it.  I cannot help there.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »
Not really, but I have not shot it for a long time and I never shot a lot of rounds between cleaning like you seem to be doing.

As far as lube, I have never used eezox on anything but Seecamps and I have never used Frog Lube but hear great things about it.  I cannot help there.

Thanks MRC. I am cleaning every 12- 50 rounds (max) 

As for pics, I only use an iPad and iPhone, so I don't think there is a way to post using these products.

Finally what is the best lube known to mankind for the R9? I will get some.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »
JoshA asked

"Finally what is the best lube known to mankind for the R9? I will get some."

I will defer to those more experienced than I with the R9 with one comment.  When I got my first R9, Rohrbaugh was recommending Super Lube so I purchased some(Harbor Freight).  I still use it on the rails for lubrication on many of my stainless auto loaders and it does a very good job in my opinion.   USE SPARINGLY!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »
Awesome. Thanks MRC. I'll get some and try it out.

Also: sent PM

John Stuart Mill

Offline rcm11

« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:05 PM »

I use Froglube on all of my guns.  I am in love with the product for several reasons.  Smell, effectiveness as a CLP, ease of cleaning after a range visit, the fact that it's not dangerous chemicals (you can actually eat Froglube if you wanted). 

I don't use a single drop of oil on ANY of my guns since switching to Froglube.  I kid you not.  After each range visit I am OCD about cleaning the gun and I naturally check for wear (or excessive wear) on all friction areas of the slide and frame---no problems whatsoever with just Froglube and no lubricant of any kind.  I used to use Wilson Combat Ultima Lube II, but found after numerous careful and thorough inspections saw that Froglube is truly all you need.

If you're going to go ahead and try Froglube, be sure that you remove all traces of oil from your gun before using Froglube CLP.  They sell a Froglube Solvent for this purpose, but you can also use alcohol to remove oils from the gun if you want.  Also...it really does make a difference when you use a hairdryer to warm up all metal surfaces before applying Froglube.  There are Youtube videos showing the greater effectiveness of a Froglube treatment that was done with heat, versus not heating up the metal.

I detail stripped my Rohrbaughs for their initial Froglube applications so as to cover every single square millimeter of the pistol.

Hope this glowing endorsement of Froglube helps.  I've used so many products before Froglube and I'm so glad I tried this stuff (and so is my workbench as it WAY less crowded and cluttered with cleaning products).  Try it, you'll be sold!
Rohrbaugh R9 Special Forces
Kimber Super Carry Ultra
Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact

Offline MaxBlack

« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
I use Froglube on all of my guns.
Feeling too lazy today to surf on this, so...what is the difference/when would you use the paste vs. the liquid form???

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »

I asked the same question to a dealer and he said none other than the obvious. It just depends on your preference.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
Thanks rcm11.

Good to hear that it passes the OCD test.  :)

I've been wanting to do the hair dryer thing, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm impressed with the way the gun wets up when fires with the frog lube.

I will do my r9 today. 

Hopefully get my 147 soon and back to the range we go.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTtXO1Ps5_w

Josh,  Have you looked into polishing your chamber?  I don't know if this is the best method, but It might be something you could do at home one night.  This was the first hit on got from a google search.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2014, 10:59:43 PM »
Maybe I can just send the barrel to him to work on it. I'm sure he's absolutely capable of doing high end work too : )) I enjoyed that. Crude but effective comes to mind. It actually may help my issue, but I don't see any machining marks in the chamber.

Thanks for the video link. It's was interesting and I learned something.

I actually cleaned my R9 after the last successful range session and discovered that the piece to the left of the hammer is now very loose. Wiggle wiggle. Reminds me of one of my kid's loose teeth.

Any word when the boys will be taking warranty work on again Duane?

Not looking good for the home team.

Well I said I would keep shooting it till 1) it was reliable, or 2) it broke or 3) it broke me from all the high end ammo it needs to get reliability figured out.

It's broke.

Please let us know if you find something out on an eta for warranty work DDGator.

I want to love my Robrbaugh... BUT : (

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum

As I mentioned in the other thread, there is no way to know for sure.  I heard that the new owners expected to be open in Pineville in March.  I don't know anything more than that.  And, since we don't even know who the new owner is yet, we can't exactly ask.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Great. Thanks for that Duane. I don't recall seeing the march date mentioned, but I'm confident you mentioned it. Just didn't see it or recall it.

That's sounding hopeful : )

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
For those of you interested in OTHER GUNS, I was able to break out a new pistol today and I must say I can't wait to fire it again tomorrow : ) SWEEEEEEEEET (so far)

You can check out the review and range report here if ya like:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7312.0

Since the R9 is now compromised internally I had to figure out something to fill in for it while awaiting the new factory reopen and then of course the long expected round trip for the R9.

The new pistol was pretty impressive to me.

Anyway I really want to get my R9 and get back to working the kinks out. Hopefully I don't take a serious step backward when I get it back from the factory.

Hopefully they get back in the saddle some time in March as projected.

Thanks again Duane for keeping us abreast of the situation.

John Stuart Mill