Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210665 times)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2014, 11:44:45 PM »
So I failed to realize that the cartidge length makes a significant difference in the reliable cycling for the R9.

Gold Dots are obviously good. How are the HST's working? As reliable or better than Gold Dots?

Any word on Golden Sabre? I've been impressed with that round's performance everywhere I look.

What broke on yours? That little piece to the left of the hammer about 2mm x 2mm? Maybe you just need a new pin or screw.  I don't have mine handy to inspect.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »
That's the piece Bob. The 2 mm x 2 mm to the left of the hammer. I looked to see if there is a visible pin that could be replaced easy enough, but could not see one. No sign of a screw either.

Perhaps someone out there can inform if they know how to cure a 2 mm x 2 mm thing to the left of the hammer that's loose.

Any info fellas?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2014, 02:47:26 PM »
That's the piece Bob. The 2 mm x 2 mm to the left of the hammer. I looked to see if there is a visible pin that could be replaced easy enough, but could not see one. No sign of a screw either.

Perhaps someone out there can inform if they know how to cure a 2 mm x 2 mm thing to the left of the hammer that's loose.

Any info fellas?

I think we should start looking for an R9 gunsmith that can service these!  Are there any employees that have worked at the factory or independent gunsmiths with experience. 

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2014, 04:44:53 PM »
Not a bad idea.

Are there any recommended smiths out there that anyone would trust their R9 to? I would like to chat with someone who is knowledgable about my particular issue and perhaps send it to them for repair.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »
I could be mistaken but I think the only R9 gunsmiths were at the Rohrbaugh factory. My gunsmith is one of the best and works on almost every pistol imaginable, primarily in smoothing trigger actions. He wouldn't touch an R9 and I would be very leery of an opportunistic gunsmith who doesn't have some factory training. It sounds like a good idea but not very practical, in my opinion. Also, gunsmiths need parts and the last time I checked there were no Rohrbaugh parts available at Brownells. The other thing is that it may void the warranty if and when the factory reopens.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:28:53 PM by tracker »

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »

I could be mistaken but I think the only R9 gunsmiths were at the Rohrbaugh factory. My gunsmith is one of the best and works on almost every pistol imaginable, primarily in smoothing trigger actions. He wouldn't touch an R9 and I would be very leery of an opportunistic gunsmith who doesn't have some factory training. It sounds like a good idea but not very practical, in my opinion.

I wonder what the former employees have been doing the last 2 months?  Seems like a great opportunity to pick up a side business in addition to the UE check.  I would imagine some of the issues could be cured by any solid gunsmith who wanted to invest the time to become a bit of an expert.  Not just a factory guy. It's just a compact

They are really not that complicated of a design compared to others out there.  I think mine needs a stronger ejector spring (or new ejector) and AL's has a messed up trigger issue.  JoshA has a broke 2x2 thingy, needs an ejector rebuild, polished chamber, and a wrist brace for the operator.  It should be our anatomical donor unit to be honest. ;)  Just teasing! 

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »
I could be mistaken but I think the only R9 gunsmiths were at the Rohrbaugh factory. My gunsmith is one of the best and works on almost every pistol imaginable, primarily in smoothing trigger actions. He wouldn't touch an R9 and I would be very leery of an opportunistic gunsmith who doesn't have some factory training. It sounds like a good idea but not very practical, in my opinion. Also, gunsmiths need parts and the last time I checked there were no Rohrbaugh parts available at Brownells. The other thing is that it may void the warranty if and when the factory reopens.

tracker makes some good points, but your options are limited.  I would take it to a "good" gunsmith and fill him in on the warranty and parts situation and see what he says.  They are really a very simple firearm.

A "good" gunsmith will give you his opinion before he starts and layout your options as he sees them.

Good luck.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2014, 10:48:55 PM »
Good luck on finding the "good" gunsmith within driving distance of your hacienda. Otherwise, you will be shipping it FedEx or UPS overnight for the better part of two franklins round trip.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »
Sure wish I knew more on when the new shop would be opening for repairs. It would be a shame to spend 2-3 hunneys to get what the factory will hopefully do under warranty.

Hmm. Perhaps Duane will plead with them to give some kind of date they plan on opening the doors.

Just kidding Duane. Just getting a bit impatient is all. It will all work out I'm sure.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2014, 11:56:58 PM »
Sure wish I knew more on when the new shop would be opening for repairs. It would be a shame to spend 2-3 hunneys to get what the factory will hopefully do under warranty.

Hmm. Perhaps Duane will plead with them to give some kind of date they plan on opening the doors.

Just kidding Duane. Just getting a bit impatient is all. It will all work out I'm sure.

I thought you got it 2nd hand and would therefore not be eligible to the aforementioned currently worthless factory warranty other less fortunate folks paid full retail price for.   That's a mouth full of questionable grammar. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:59:50 PM by bobsmith »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
Good luck on finding the "good" gunsmith within driving distance of your hacienda. Otherwise, you will be shipping it FedEx or UPS overnight for the better part of two franklins round trip.

I guess I am lucky.  I have two Gunsmiths in my area that I consider "good".  Both know their limitations and can assess the limitations of the firearm they are asked to work on.  Both also have friends in the business that they consult with by phone before getting in too deep.

The R9 is not rocket science, but a very simple firearm.  Broken parts on the other hand are not simple.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
Well that's somewhat debatable. I do have the original warranty card so I have hopes to receive the benefits of warranty service.

Bobby, you're a rebel kid. I think you enjoy the gripe. lol. Did your mom smack you around when you were a kid? Did kids steal your candy bars at lunch? Did you just get a kick out of wizzing in someone's Wheaties? I need to understand where you are coming from my friend. What makes you so negative about the sale and all? The lack of communication bothers me too. But we'll all get through it ok man. It's gonna be alright. Open up with me (and 1000 other people : ) don't take this rhetoric too seriously either. Just poking into the issue that keeps coming up.

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :o :-[ 8) :o ;D :) ;D ::) :o ??? ;) :o :-[ ;D :) 8)

Anyway you may be right. I may actually not get the warranty. I have heard a few different stories on this. Someone at the LGS told me (you know that means this is DEFINITELY FACT LOL) that almost all manufacturers are taking care of their guns mechanical flaws and failures even though the warranty states otherwise to keep law suits down. Obviously a failure of a catastrophic proportion would not be too good on someone's PR. However I don't really know. I haven't had too many warranty issues to deal with YET.

As for the local gun smith, I'm yet to have to had need for one. I guess I will make a call or two.

John Stuart Mill

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »
Well that's somewhat debatable. I do have the original warranty card so I have hopes to receive the benefits of warranty service.

Bobby, you're a rebel kid. I think you enjoy the gripe. lol. Did your mom smack you around when you were a kid? Did kids steal your candy bars at lunch? Did you just get a kick out of wizzing in someone's Wheaties? I need to understand where you are coming from my friend. What makes you so negative about the sale and all? The lack of communication bothers me too. But we'll all get through it ok man. It's gonna be alright. Open up with me (and 1000 other people : ) don't take this rhetoric too seriously either. Just poking into the issue that keeps coming up.

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :o :-[ 8) :o ;D :) ;D ::) :o ??? ;) :o :-[ ;D :) 8)

Anyway you may be right. I may actually not get the warranty. I have heard a few different stories on this. Someone at the LGS told me (you know that means this is DEFINITELY FACT LOL) that almost all manufacturers are taking care of their guns mechanical flaws and failures even though the warranty states otherwise to keep law suits down. Obviously a failure of a catastrophic proportion would not be too good on someone's PR. However I don't really know. I haven't had too many warranty issues to deal with YET.

As for the local gun smith, I'm yet to have to had need for one. I guess I will make a call or two.

Ironiclly, just yesterday i took in a very nice speciallized bike with a huge crack in the steering tube. The bike shop that knows me by name and i walk past daily to get lunch said it would be covered for sure by the facotry under the lifetime frame warranty.  Awesome deal! 

Then he asked if i had the original reciept on me so they could start the process.   Nope!  So the nice aluminum frame will go in the scrap metal bin next trip to the dump. 

Here's a little photo for you Josh.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well Bob do you feel that you have this view because when you were a child someone gave you a cup like this to ingest? Furthermore Bob how do you know which one is being the realist? Are you certain that's not Kool-Aid LOL.

It's pretty bad when there's nothing to talk about interesting enough to keep this kind of folly from precipitating.

Now I think we're both in trouble Bob  8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:31:40 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
The last discussion on the forum that I recall about previously owned R9 warranty is that the new owner could ship it to the factory and the warranty would be updated, for a price. There was a charge of $100-150 plus shipping for this service but maybe Duane could clarify that previous policy. Everything now is subject to change, of course, and we don't have a good read on it. Still, I think I would wait to deal with the new Rohrbaugh, if possible. The only downside to the previous warranty update policy was that a Farmingdale could be converted to a Deerdale with the installation of a new slide,  for example, because the factory brought everything about the gun up to current spec. That happened to me, as an original owner, with a cracked slide on a Farmingdale. That initially upset me but now the gun is completely reliable and I wouldn't trade it or sell it because it is a carry weapon and not an investment/safe queen.

This original owner warranty restriction concept is not unique in the industry. Smith and Wesson has a rather inflexible stance on the original owner warranty restriction. They will sell or send parts, however.