Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 212195 times)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor

It would have been more helpful to wait until we had more definiitive information from Wolff before announcing this on an ad hoc basis. It is virtually guaranteed to have a run on the spring supply now.

I really don't see how you think I would be to blame for any potential run in springs. I could have just called and kept the info for myself and waited to share until after I had made sure to purchase enough for myself. In my mind sharing the info was a selfless act.

If a run on springs is going to happen it won't have anything to do with my post here, and will have everything to do with doomsday preppers buying 20 at a time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:02:06 PM by BlueC2 »
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum

This is still a relatively small group on this forum -- and smaller still who are overly concerned about springs.  When Wolff makes a run, he will run a bunch.  That is the nature of manufacturing.  If this group can run him out of springs in a matter of days, we are buying way too many springs.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum

There were less than 9000 Auto Mags made and they had two different diameter recoils springs and Wolff usually has them in stock.  I would be surprised if there are more than a couple thousand Auto Mags still being shot today after 35 years.

Also, this AutoMag situation is totally different.  Wolff has been the sole supplier of AutoMag springs for a gun from a defunct company.  There is a (small) market of people who NEED your springs.  You can sell them, and probably at a premium if you want.

For the past decade or so, Wolff would have been only a secondary supplier of its own Rohrbaugh springs...  Most private buyers would probably buy from Rohrbaugh.  Wolff has much less incentive to sell to the public on a piece-by-piece when you can just sell your whole run in bulk to Rohrbaugh.

Now, however, there is a market again.  At least for the moment they are the sole supplier of springs.  And once Remington cranks up production, they will likely source their own springs.  If they do, Wolff still has a market to compete with "no name" springs from Remington.

As an aside, I bet Wolff hasn't run AutoMag springs in years.  They do one run of 500 springs and they can stock them for many years.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I ordered 4 sets of Auto Mag springs in January.  It takes two springs when you change them and there are ,180" and .200" sizes.  They had to run the .200" and I waited 60 days.  They had the .180" and the magazine springs in stock though.

A set of two recoil springs costs $12.00 I believe.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:27:15 PM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT & A FRESH PERSPECTIVE 😉
« Reply #364 on: June 18, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »
Looks like no new news eh?

I guess I should be calling them this week or next.

Boundary waters wilderness canoe area with my 14 yr old son was great. I would highly recommend it. This was my 3rd trip. Good stuff. Forget about all the "important stuff" that doesn't really matter for a bit.

Anyway, I guess I will call para or Remington and just spend some time discussing this matter with them. Hopefully we can get somewhere, but if not... Oh well.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #365 on: June 23, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »
First time R9 owner. I love everything about my R9 except for the most important thing that I carry it for. Reliability.

I bought it used a year ago. I have changed springs numerous times in the course of range sessions. Lubed it in every way I can practically imagine. Ran through 200 Winchester silver tips. I can't seem to get this thing to eject in a dependable fashion  :-[

After hours of range time and musing and hours more reading this forum I am wondering if I got a lemon???

The only thing I can imagine doing shy of sending my second hand R9 in for the $ and repairs is to try gold dot 124 grain.

Has anyone else had terrible success (FFE 1 out of +/- 15 rounds) with the silver tip 115 gr and then switched to another round and experienced great success?

I have read that some R9's are pickier than others.

Any other advice?

Thanks for all of the great reads :))

I've never used silver tips. Back when the R9 came out mine and I bought one mine was not reliable. I realized the magazine springs were very weak and requested the updated ones. Got them and all my reliability problems went away immediately. It would fire WWB 115gr. all day. And the 124gr. Gold dots I was carrying. In fact then I didn't have a lot of spare cash and would sometimes carry it with WWB. Still not a bad choice IMO if you are concerned about penetration. Anyways, I unfortunately sold that gun years ago. I bought a replacement about two years ago and it had a couple or maybe three FTF when I took it to the range last spring out of two mags. It was dry and I was using brass cased gold dots, so I didn't think much about it. Forward to a couple months ago, I fired 4 mags of nickel case, standard pressure 124gr. Gold Dots out of it with no failures. I had cleaned and lubed it before the range trip.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #366 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »
They can be a finicky pistol I am understanding.

Mine actually has a loose piece. I have tried about every trick in the book. I think it just needs a trip back to the factory as long as some novice doesn't get ahold of it and make matters worse.

It liked the 124 gold dot best and 124 lawman for range work.

I've got a small fortune in ammo trying to find what it likes. Then after a bunch of rounds a small piece to the left of the hammer ended up loosening.

I think these small guns are best if they aren't shot much. I hate to say it, but the adage of "shoot little, carry much" is probably pretty wisely put.

I've had the same issue out of my Seecamp with only about 100 painful rounds through it.

My karhr CW 380 works good, but after 400 or so rounds it won't lock back reliably.

Now my Kimber solo which has been" bullet proof" is starting to fail to eject and won't lock back after about 1500 rounds. Not really sure what the issue is, but I'm sure it will be sent back to the factory for an inspection.

Yep I think these little guys are fine pistols, but just don't hold up to the torture like a Glock, 1911 or other beefier guns.

Revelation right? I didn't think so either, but they are a bit more prone to wear than I had imagined. Now I KNOW what the threshold of pain is and I've gained some good experience in the meantime.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #367 on: August 14, 2014, 08:29:38 PM »
So who has the best number that I could hope to reach a responsible party who would care about the company and it's customer service?

I still have received no call and the VM is still the same ("call back on May 12"). School break is over for my kids and I am ready to jack with this ridiculous customer service issue if I can.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:23:54 AM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2014, 11:00:56 PM »

Here is the main number:  800-243-9700

One name you might try is Dan Cox.  He was supposed to be involved with the Rohrbaugh stuff.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #369 on: August 15, 2014, 08:24:58 AM »
Thanks Duane. I will post on the experience.

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT & A FRESH PERSPECTIVE
« Reply #370 on: August 15, 2014, 09:27:33 AM »

I have no doubt about that...   :D
Duane (DDGator)

Offline heyjoe

« Reply #371 on: August 15, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »
A number was never set up yet to call for warranty or repair? thats awful. i hope this whole thing still works out for you guys.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #372 on: August 18, 2014, 03:38:29 PM »
Dan Cox was very professional, responsive and knowledgeable.

He took my name and phone number and says he will be back in touch in a few days.

He also said he would look into the VM that says "call back after May 12", so hopefully some headway will be made there too.

Thanks for the contact info Duane.

John Stuart Mill

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #373 on: August 18, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
A glimmer of hope perhaps. 
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #374 on: August 22, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »
Dan Cox was very professional, responsive and knowledgeable.

He took my name and phone number and says he will be back in touch in a few days.

He also said he would look into the VM that says "call back after May 12", so hopefully some headway will be made there too.

Thanks for the contact info Duane.

Did you hear back from him?  I left him a message 48 hours ago and haven't heard a word back.