Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 211813 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT & HELP ME MAKE A DECISION PLEASE
« Reply #435 on: September 22, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
Makes sense. Too bad. I guess that kind of indicates the direction they are pointing in.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #436 on: September 22, 2014, 12:05:06 PM »

As a further point of clarification, I have found out that Karl and Eric have not been employed at Remington since July 2014.  They no longer have any affiliation with Remington. 

For what it is worth (which, I guess, is nothing at this point), Eric and Karl were very aware of the warranty issues and urged Remington to deal with these issues many times.  However, they had no say in that process.  Eric would certainly have handled warranty repairs on existing pistols if he had been asked or allowed to do so.

Well this raises my hackles a little.  When they could have dealt with my warranty issues they didn't.  They took days and days to get back to me in January.  They sent me out to buy different ammo and "work on my grip".  It would typically take 2-3 attempts on my part, prior to getting a return response from them.  Even after I sent them numerous photos and detailed descriptions.  My initially warranty claim was around January 2nd, 2014 and it took over a month to get an RMA from them.  Maybe close to 6 weeks, but I'm not going to dig through the old emails again.

When I finally fedex'd the pistol back to them it was refused and they "couldn't talk to anyone" due to the contract they signed.   Somehow I doubt when they closed up shop and took long vacations  these issues became important to them.     

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #437 on: September 22, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
Smith:

Heretofore I have considered your constant whining to be merely a manifestation of narcissistic self-indulgence. Now, however, you have impugned the honor and integrity of two friends of mine, the Brothers Rohrbaugh, whose character is beyond reproach.  You have crossed the line in my opinion. If it were up to me I would henceforth ban you from the Forum.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #438 on: September 22, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
When my partner and I sold our business several years ago, part of the buyout was that we could not discuss anything, nothing, nada, about anything. A substantial amount of money was withheld for 1 year to guarantee this. We didn't think that anything in that part of the contract would be a problem with us. After all, saying nothing has to be easier than saying something? Right? We had to make representations and make assurances to the numerous landlords who had to approve by transferring all the store leases to the new owners, who were a huge conglomerate. We insisted that all our store managers not be touched, as they helped us grow, were all trustworthy, and were like family to us. Then reality hit. After the sale, the majority of the managers quit because of the new corporate culture. The landlords were forced into rent concessions and a few of the stores were simply shut down because of landlords not giving in. Charities that depended on us for food at the holidays were ignored…and so on. The Rohrbaughs, I'm sure sold their business with all the best of intentions. I'm sure that they emphasized what was important to them and their customers. I'm sure that they were given assurances. Now, after the fact, they must remain quiet at everything they are seeing and hearing and reading. I'm sure that it is eating them them up and going against the grain for everything they have  stood for and believed in. Now, public opinion sets in. You want to blame the Rohrbaughs for the current situation at the factory? What's next? Do we blame the car for a drunk driving fatality? What about the driver? Bottom line…If you want to place blame and throw stones at someone, attack the new management. Someone frustrates you from a lack of responses or hollow promises? Go above their head!  Stop your bitching and attack! attack! attack!…and above all, BobSmith... Stop Your Whining!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #439 on: September 22, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »
Smith:

Heretofore I have considered your constant whining to be merely a manifestation of narcissistic self-indulgence. Now, however, you have impugned the honor and integrity of two friends of mine, the Brothers Rohrbaugh, whose character is beyond reproach.  You have crossed the line in my opinion. If it were up to me I would henceforth ban you from the Forum.

It's just the facts Richard. I'm sorry you find them so offensive.  In the real world when a forum is created it's a place for people to talk openly about their experiences with a product. Not everyone will have the same opinion or experience with the product or the organization.  That's how forums work in general and it's a method to get information that is unbiased on a product, or help from other members of the forum. 

What you're looking for is more of a clubhouse atmosphere. Where everyone sits around a table and shows off neat accessories or pretty new grips and talks about how it's the worlds most perfect pistol.   

furthermore I've only posted a few times on this board in the last few months, I don't know how that's constant whining.   

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2014, 05:33:55 PM »
BBB Numbers:

Customer Complaints SummaryRead complaint details
76 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 28 closed in last 12 months
Complaint Type   Total Closed Complaints
Advertising / Sales Issues   5
Delivery Issues   4
Guarantee / Warranty Issues   11
Problems with Product / Service   56
Billing / Collection Issues   0
Total Closed Complaints   76
- See more at: http://www.bbb.org/greensboro/business-reviews/manufacturers-and-producers/remington-arms-company-in-madison-nc-4004906#sthash.hfmitXmR.dpuf

*** Maybe the only way to deal with them right now is to use the BBB which is bad for their PR.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2014, 06:44:41 PM »
The BBB may be the only option left although it is not a very effective one. If the R-51 pistol disaster and the 700 rifle trigger malfunctions haven't put everyone on notice there isn't much we can do. Correct me if I am wrong but I haven't seen a press release from Remington that states they now own Rohrbaugh. What ever their intentions it seems like all of these other issues have put the R9 on the back burner.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:42:18 PM by tracker »

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #442 on: September 22, 2014, 07:58:40 PM »
As a further point of clarification, I have found out that Karl and Eric have not been employed at Remington since July 2014.  They no longer have any affiliation with Remington. 

That is depressing.

I thought the Rohrbaughs would be around to get their production line up and running and to do knowledge transfer.

But they aren't and won't be.

Just looking at the R51 debacle, I don't think Remington knows how to make guns.  BTW, making a functioning 1911 (a design that is over 100 years old) - does not count.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #443 on: September 22, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
I wonder, do you think the brothers could open a custom 'smith shop maintaining, repairing, upgrading R9s; outside of the parent corporate structure?

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #444 on: September 22, 2014, 09:20:12 PM »
I wonder, do you think the brothers could open a custom 'smith shop maintaining, repairing, upgrading R9s; outside of the parent corporate structure?

I would think a non-compete agreement was part of the purchase price, but who knows.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #445 on: September 22, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
If that were the case it would be the first time in a recent corporate purchase contract. At the very least there would be a "covenant not to compete" clause for a number of years which would prohibit the Rohrbaughs from any involvement in the product or any similar endeavor.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #446 on: September 22, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »
Fair enough, but would opening a custom smith shop be competing?

There's a world full of people modd'ing S&W revolvers, 1911s, Glocks, Corvettes, etc. They're not manufacturing guns/cars/whatever. You can't go to them instead of Remington/Chevrolet to buy one...

Who knows what the deal says? Maybe they simply couldn't, nothing to be done. -But Id sure like to see it.  8)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #447 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »
The covenant not to compete, if any, would directly single out the Rohrbaughs and key employees. My wife's cousin's company was purchased some years ago and he signed a non compete clause for 5 years. Five years later he purchased the company that bought his at a substantial discount. His new company is still in business.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:31:50 PM by tracker »

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #448 on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:55 PM »
So, "be patient" is what I'm taking from that.  ;D

My wife has a non-compete at her job, but I honestly don't know what the technicalities of it are. I suspect the lawyers have been fairly thorough.  :-X

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #449 on: September 23, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »

Well this raises my hackles a little.  When they could have dealt with my warranty issues they didn't. 

Actually, this is not "just the facts."  This is a personal attack on my friends, which I have asked you not to do.  This issue has been addressed earlier.  The plant was already in a shutting down mode on Jan. 2.  At some point, Eric and Karl were instructed by Remington not to accept pistols anymore.  You "finally" sent yours after that date and there was no choice but to refuse it.

The fact is that your warranty problems occured at a very bad time.  You got caught in the transition.  Not your fault, of course.  However, you continue to assign blame and impunge character of my friends by saying they ignored you, or duped you into some delay so they wouldn't have to deal with you.  Those are not the facts and I am getting tired of hearing your characterization of the facts.

While we openly discuss issues with R-9s on this forum, it is not on open forum to say anything you want.  This is a gathering place for Rohrbaugh enthusiasts.  We try to disseminate information and help people with problems.  However, I won't tolerate your unfounded attacks on Karl or Eric.  This is a final, public warning to stop.  You have said your piece on this issue and I am done with it.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com