Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 211764 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: I want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT & HELP ME MAKE A DECISION PLEASE
« Reply #450 on: September 23, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
I wonder, do you think the brothers could open a custom 'smith shop maintaining, repairing, upgrading R9s; outside of the parent corporate structure?

As others have noted, Karl and Eric are subject to a non-compete agreement and cannot do this for a number of years.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #451 on: September 29, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
In light of DDGator's other post on the news about up and coming warranty I have decided to sit tight until Thanksgiving. If I still feel like a turkey then I will get back to pursuing the matter with Dans superior if I can find one.

Thanks for the help in figuring this out fellas.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #452 on: September 30, 2014, 09:00:08 AM »
I talked to Dan…he is it. In fact, this is not even what he does. He said that this kind of got dropped on him. He is on the road all the time…outside sales. He has nothing to do with warranty work for anything but Rohrbaugh. I tried to go above him while I was digging throughout Remington. NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE ever heard of Rohrbaugh, could spell it, or knew anything that I was talking about…scary.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #453 on: September 30, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »
Perhaps time for some letters to gun magazines, re:  "What is wrong with Remington:  700 trigger, then the R51, and now the Rohrbaugh fiasco" and some explanation about the latter?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #454 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:26 AM »
Perhaps time for some letters to gun magazines, re:  "What is wrong with Remington:  700 trigger, then the R51, and now the Rohrbaugh fiasco" and some explanation about the latter?

The Freedom Group still is a big chunk of advertising dollars and the magazines will be very leery of what the print.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #455 on: September 30, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »

Most print magazines are very beholden to advertisers, including Freedom Group.

The other problems with Remington lately are well known and beaten to death.  Whether anyone cares about the tiny swath of Rohrbaugh customers left out in the cold is probably questionable.    :-\
Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #456 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »
So what would be another approach if they don't come through in a timely manner?

What about a letter to the president or CEO of the company complementing the purchase of one of the most unique handguns ever created with a very loyal following? Then getting signatures of most people of this site on it? It could even be sent from home to home by the person who received it one at a time to put real ink on it :) there could be some mention of warranty somewhere craftily mentioned in a way that could be inspiring.

If or something this doesn't work I won't be buying Remington for a loooooooong time personally. Just me.

This was partially someone else's idea. Can't remember who, but perhaps a stroke of genius. Probably tracker. I would personally pay for $100 toward the postage to mail the piece of paper to all of the forum members if it sounds smart. Not sure how many forum members there are, may need numerous pieces of paper being mailed around.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:24:05 AM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #457 on: September 30, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »

I thought someone called a truce until Thanksgiving?   ;)

I don't personally think that the value of a "petition" or other document with other blue ink signatures is worth the time and hassle of distributing something by snail mail.  Plus, I bet you wind up with only a handful when it is all said and done.

I think that a nice, professionally written letter to the President might be helpful.  It would be best if it could be delivered Fed Ex overnight or the equivalent.  Overnight packages get much higher priority treatment and are more likely to reach their destination.

I also think there are other alternatives to complain outside the company itself--like the BBB, the North Carolina attorney general's consumer protection unit, etc.  Those among us who have actual, existing warranty claims have legal rights against the company.  The rest of us are kind of on the sidelines for now.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #458 on: September 30, 2014, 01:49:45 PM »
So what would be another approach if they don't come through in a timely manner?

What about a letter to the president or CEO of the company complementing the purchase of one of the most unique handguns ever created with a very loyal following? Then getting signatures of most people of this site on it? It could even be sent from home to home by the person who received it one at a time to put real ink on it :) there could be some mention of warranty somewhere craftily mentioned in a way that could be inspiring.

If or something this doesn't work I won't be buying Remington for a loooooooong time personally. Just me.

This was partially someone else's idea. Can't remember who, but perhaps a stroke of genius. Probably tracker. I would personally pay for $100 toward the postage to mail the piece of paper to all of the forum members if it sounds smart. Not sure how many forum members there are, may need numerous pieces of paper being mailed around.

Thoughts?

Do they have any proven track record of repairing guns purchased 2nd hand, that would not be eligible for warranty work?  My guess is that you will never get a warranty repair approved by them since you are NOT the original purchaser of the firearm.  I think you're SOL Josh, but I could be wrong.  Don't pour good money after bad money is my advice.   

I'd take the thing all apart and list it here and gun broker / ebay instead. Someone will want a slide or spare barrel.  Wash your hands of it in 30 days and move on with your life. 

I'm temped to do this and I have a valid claim as the original purchaser of the firearm.

In the past I had some very high sales on items sold on ebay that are allowed. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=444640628

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rohrbaugh-Factory-Hard-Plastic-Handgun-Case-Made-By-Royal-Case-Co-/351178549474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c3df68e2

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:51:40 PM by bobsmith »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »
Do they have any proven track record of repairing guns purchased 2nd hand, that would not be eligible for warranty work?  My guess is that you will never get a warranty repair approved by them since you are NOT the original purchaser of the firearm.  I think you're SOL Josh, but I could be wrong.  Don't pour good money after bad money is my advice.   

I may have missed this fact, or forgotten...  Josh, if you are not the original owner, I do think you could have a serious problem.  While Rohrbaugh wasn't very strict about policing this issue before the sale, I don't know the same will be true of Remington.

Warranty repair (and, perhaps replacments) is going to be expensive for them.  I can see them honoring the claims they have to honor, but I would suspect they may not honor claims for which they have an "out." 

As an example, Smith & Wesson is very good about repairing their guns no matter who owns it.  However, if you try to make a warranty claim on an old gun for which they don't have parts and you are clearly not the original owner--chances are your claim will be denied.  S&W and many companies are generous with their warranty repairs, but only until the point it starts to hurt...  Remington may well decide there is going to be no latittude on guns that pre-date their acquisition, and no one could really blame them for it.

I guess we will see.  I hope I am wrong.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:39:51 PM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
BobSmith: I think you hit the nail on the head…you are not R9 material. I agree with you wholeheartedly, but not because of your problems and dislike of the R9, but because of you not being a team player. Anyone that attempts to sell a Rohrbaugh magazine for $150.00 on Gunbroker or anywhere…especially on this forum…is taking advantage of an unfortunate situation. I bet you thought about buying a truckload of generators from Home Depot far from where Hurricane Sandy hit, and then bringing them to the disaster scene for 4 times what you paid for them, and then justified your actions by thinking you were providing a service. In a recent thread, a member needed a magazine in order to shoot his R9, as his came without one. I notified him of one on GunBroker for $42.00. It sold, but i do not know if he bought it. Another member posted that he was looking for a Rohrbaugh .380. One was found for him, and he purchased it for a reasonable price. There are many more examples of members helping members on this forum on a daily basis. You do not fit into this category.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »
BobSmith: I think you hit the nail on the head…you are not R9 material. I agree with you wholeheartedly, but not because of your problems and dislike of the R9, but because of you not being a team player. Anyone that attempts to sell a Rohrbaugh magazine for $150.00 on Gunbroker or anywhere…especially on this forum…is taking advantage of an unfortunate situation. I bet you thought about buying a truckload of generators from Home Depot far from where Hurricane Sandy hit, and then bringing them to the disaster scene for 4 times what you paid for them, and then justified your actions by thinking you were providing a service. In a recent thread, a member needed a magazine in order to shoot his R9, as his came without one. I notified him of one on GunBroker for $42.00. It sold, but i do not know if he bought it. Another member posted that he was looking for a Rohrbaugh .380. One was found for him, and he purchased it for a reasonable price. There are many more examples of members helping members on this forum on a daily basis. You do not fit into this category.

Seriously... I don't get your hostility on this issue, but I'm done getting worked up over pissy remarks from members on this site.  That's not my mag anyway. Just showing an example. I tried to give him another option on what to do with a broken gun.  Another forum member is offering to buy them up at $500 a piece which would be about 30% of what I've put into mine.  Did he get any heat for that? 

Anyway..  Sell it broken dirt cheap, part it out, pay for a repair attempt knowing no parts are around.  Got anything else for us besides nagging on Remington for a repair they aren't obligated to even make? 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:24:07 PM by bobsmith »

Offline bobsmith

• Expert
  • Pistol Master
« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »

I may have missed this fact, or forgotten...  Josh, if you are not the original owner, I do think you could have a serious problem.  While Rohrbaugh wasn't very strict about policing this issue before the sale, I don't know the same will be true of Remington.

Warranty repair (and, perhaps replacments) is going to be expensive for them.  I can see them honoring the claims they have to honor, but I would suspect they may not honor claims for which they have an "out." 

As an example, Smith & Wesson is very good about repairing their guns no matter who owns it.  However, if you try to make a warranty claim on an old gun for which they don't have parts and you are clearly not the original owner--chances are your claim will be denied.  S&W and many companies are generous with their warranty repairs, but only until the point it starts to hurt...  Remington may well decide there is going to be no latittude on guns that pre-date their acquisition, and no one could really blame them for it.

I guess we will see.  I hope I am wrong.

Exactly.  From what I've observed a lot of the lemons got sold on down the road when they don't work.  Many people just suggested I sell mine like it was SOP to sell a gun that wouldn't cycle.  Who knows how many times they get passed around.  I bet they don't end up having to service many guns and this is why they will just contract out the repairs, rather than do it in house.  Sounds like most R9s work great for the owners and the lemons used to get sorted by Eric and Karl, so there might not be a ton of valid claims that come in.

They bought a model brand and some R&D for what's likely pennies on the dollar of what they would pay to create a model brand.   

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #463 on: September 30, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »

They bought a model brand and some R&D for what's likely pennies on the dollar of what they would pay to create a model brand.   

I think this is likely true.  I just wonder what they are going to do with it.

Duane (DDGator)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #464 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:29 PM »
As for taking the gun apart and selling it piece by piece for a loss... In the end it would be the smarter way to go Bob, but I'm not good at losing. Your idea makes sense, BUT

I've made so much lemonade I've almost learned to like it. There is just something in me that doesn't know when to say uncle when I get a sour deal.

So I will be patient and wait and wait and look for the right opportunity to get mine repaired. Maybe a smith or something and get it working well and either sell it or safe queen it or pocket it, but I hate taking the loss. It's the principal of the thing even though I've lost more just squawking on here about it in time and energy.

As for being out of warranty, I will see what they say. I do have the warranty card for what it's worth. Who knows, perhaps I'll get some grace for all of the waiting and horsing around. Not holding my breath, but just hoping.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:45:56 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill