Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210744 times)

Offline Douglas

• Expert
Re: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...
« Reply #585 on: March 16, 2015, 07:35:42 PM »
Just a cog in a wheel, like I've always said. And happy to work here, but not for Comrade Mayor Bill.  :P

We did some simunitions; active shooter stuff, entries, rooms, stairs, open areas, trains, reloads, malfunctions, etc.

But all the while, I was thinking about, "What if I had an off-duty piece?" and accordingly, "What is my sight picture looking like?" that is, what is my discipline to obtain/maintain one?

That prompted me to put the express sights on my G26, and reinforced my inclination to carry it.

It was very good training.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #586 on: March 16, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »
I see. 

Thanks for telling about the training points.

Well hope ya keep safe Douglas.

Look forward to hearing about your thoughts on the XS big dots if you think to post sir.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #587 on: March 16, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »

40 it is! A new world's record.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #588 on: March 16, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »

Josh! Josh! Josh! Josh!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #589 on: March 16, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »

Well atleast it's a nice round number.  8)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #590 on: March 16, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »
I see. 

Look forward to hearing about your thoughts on the XS big dots if you think to post sir.

I did okay, didn't take too much of a beating. One guy caught a burst of full auto MP-5 under the vest.

He was not a happy camper, but the rest of us laughed our asses off!  ;D

Also, it reiterated just how quickly 5 rounds go downrange when someone is shooting back. We all know this. This is not secret knowledge.

-But boy, it gets reinforced when Mr. Bad Guy is throwing lead back at you.

I LOVE my J Frame, but...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:11:53 PM by Douglas »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #591 on: March 16, 2015, 08:18:51 PM »
I see. 

I did okay, didn't take too much of a beating. One guy caught a burst of full auto MP-5 under the vest.

He was not a happy camper, but the rest of us laughed our asses off!  ;D

Also, it reiterated just how quickly 5 rounds go downrange when someone is shooting back. We all know this. This is not secret knowledge.

-But boy, it gets reinforced when Mr. Bad Guy is throwing lead back at you.

I LOVE my J Frame, but...

😖UCH! Sounds painful.

I love my J Frame, but... Lol. I hear ya. They are nostalgic and all, but with all of the crazy stuff in the world I can't feel comfortable with mine unless it's a real mello day and I'm not a NYC officer. Don't blame ya one bit.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #592 on: March 16, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
Doesn't seem to matter where you are.

I live in the boros, and work here again now (-we work through fourteen counties in two states.)

Nowhere is immune.

I read a guy's post somewhere that outlined something so clear, so obvious, so self-evident, that it broke my heart that I hadn't realized it before.

The probability that you'll need your gun has absolutely no relation to what you'll need once you do.

That was stunning to me.

-I mean, obviously, of course, we all know that, right?

But how many of us talk about the (small) gun that we carry when, "We're just running to the store for milk..." ?

-But if you walk in and three guys with guns are robbing the joint, the fact that it was a one in a million chance that this could happen is absolutely meaningless.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #593 on: March 16, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »

It is just like a seat belt; you only need to have it buckled when there is a collision or unintended upset----but which time is that?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #594 on: March 16, 2015, 09:21:51 PM »
Doesn't seem to matter where you are.

I live in the boros, and work here again now (-we work through fourteen counties in two states.)

Nowhere is immune.

I read a guy's post somewhere that outlined something so clear, so obvious, so self-evident, that it broke my heart that I hadn't realized it before.

The probability that you'll need your gun has absolutely no relation to what you'll need once you do.

That was stunning to me.

-I mean, obviously, of course, we all know that, right?

But how many of us talk about the (small) gun that we carry when, "We're just running to the store for milk..." ?

-But if you walk in and three guys with guns are robbing the joint, the fact that it was a one in a million chance that this could happen is absolutely meaningless.

Reminds me of someone's quote to the extent of

"I've never interviewed anyone who had been in a handgun battle that didn't want more ammunition or a larger caliber"

Seems like a lot of officers around these parts carry .45 off duty.

My US Marshal buddy says they can now carry ANY caliber of Glock they want to. Just has to be Glock. No G42 obviously. Not sure about subcompacts.

Anyway I'm sure 9 is plenty good with the new potent expanding rounds offered.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #595 on: March 16, 2015, 09:22:34 PM »

It is just like a seat belt; you only need to have it buckled when there is a collision or unintended upset----but which time is that?

Precisely.

"I wear my seatbelt when I'm on the highway, but when I'm just going up to the store..."

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #596 on: March 16, 2015, 09:40:16 PM »

Reminds me of someone's quote to the extent of

"I've never interviewed anyone who had been in a handgun battle that didn't want more ammunition or a larger caliber"

Seems like a lot of officers around these parts carry .45 off duty.

My US Marshal buddy says they can now carry ANY caliber of Glock they want to. Just has to be Glock. No G42 obviously. Not sure about subcompacts.

Anyway I'm sure 9 is plenty good with the new potent expanding rounds offered.

Interesting that they threw in with one manufacturer like that.

-I understand why one would. I am a Glock guy, but I'd carry any other major manufacturer without much thought about it. Who could legitimately complain about Sig, Smith, HK, etc.?

The Glock subcompacts are, to me and many others, just as good as their bigger brothers.

I agree with you on 9mm.

At the same time I get it for those who do it. If you offered me one duty handgun round, and one round only, to shoot an adversary, I would choose .45.

Why not? It's a bigger hole.

But capacity does matter, and none of the .45s get down to the size of the 9s.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2015, 09:59:07 PM »
I conversed with a young Houston Police Officer yesterday and asked him about his carry weapon since I didn't recognize it. He told me that it was a S&W M&P .40 SW but the grip had been reduced by Dale Hunnicutt of Tomball, who has been mentioned before on this forum. I asked him about .357 Sig but he misunderstood me and thought I said .357 Magnum and said that the tenured old guards could carry their .357 magnum revolvers. Once we resolved that misunderstanding he said that the Houston police could carry any approved .40 pistol and that the department has recently approved .45 ACP carry. There was no mention of 9 mm.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:02:30 PM by tracker »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #598 on: March 17, 2015, 06:17:44 PM »
I conversed with a young Houston Police Officer yesterday and asked him about his carry weapon since I didn't recognize it. He told me that it was a S&W M&P .40 SW but the grip had been reduced by Dale Hunnicutt of Tomball, who has been mentioned before on this forum. I asked him about .357 Sig but he misunderstood me and thought I said .357 Magnum and said that the tenured old guards could carry their .357 magnum revolvers. Once we resolved that misunderstanding he said that the Houston police could carry any approved .40 pistol and that the department has recently approved .45 ACP carry. There was no mention of 9 mm.

I think they do everything big in Texas don't they Tracker?  ;D

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #599 on: March 17, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »
 That is what they say but $42 oil is moving the metric a bit to the skinny side. One interesting thing of recent note is that the Texas Senate passed an open carry bill with details with the House vote still to go. Governor Greg Abbott has said that he will sign it. There are several other considerations such as only allowing concealed carry on college campuses.