Author Topic: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...  (Read 210669 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Ok... Lovin my Rohrbaugh(S)...
« Reply #615 on: June 05, 2015, 12:38:20 AM »
...Stop replying and I promise I will quit posting here... Eventually 😉

Not a chance pal.  ;) ;D

Hey Douglas. Glad to hear our favorite NYC officer is well sir.

I have a question for you. What's the best restaurant in the city?

Look forward to your response if you have time. Keep it safe amigo.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #616 on: June 05, 2015, 08:02:13 AM »
42!!!

I think Le Bernardin is generally accepted as "the best" but (unfortunately for me) I've never been there.

There are simply so many places to eat in Manhattan, not to mention the rest of the boros (and they SHOULD be mentioned, because some great food is in every one of them!) that I couldn't begin to recommend. A simple "best pizza" discussion here can start a fight; thin crust, thick crust, artisan...

Some places are iconic for their locations, therefore worth it for an interested visitor (e.g. The Rainbow Room, The River Cafe.) Other places are cult-ish, either super-trendy or closed-circle and almost no one can get in (e.g. momofuku, Rao's.)

If you're here, don't discount street food, much of it these days is excellent. It's an entire sub-culture.

The 'net is loaded with guides, with the dawn of food TV, celebrity chefs, etc. there has never been a time like now for culinary tourism and foodie pursuits. We've even got multiple distilleries and breweries back up and running. They do tours and tastings too.

One rule I can comfortably offer: There is no reason to eat in a chain restaurant in the City of New York.

Follow that tip, skip the obvious tourist traps, and you'll find something good. Let me know, I'll make our reservation!  8)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #617 on: June 05, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »
42 it is. Lol.

Sounds like quite solid advice. At this point I'm building up a couple of tips because NYC is on the bucket list, but when I get there I will be looking you up. Hopefully within the next few years.

Thanks Douglas...again.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:34:28 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #618 on: June 06, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »
While in nyc I recommend a stop in the beretta and holland and holland galleries. Drool factor 10
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #619 on: June 07, 2015, 08:24:07 PM »
While in nyc I recommend a stop in the beretta and holland and holland galleries. Drool factor 10

Sounds cool. One of these days. Thanks fellas.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #620 on: July 28, 2015, 11:49:23 PM »
Well I finally got a chance to break out the 2 new sightless R9's recently acquired from olpanrider (thanks again for the great dealings and super fair deal you passed on)

Great news. Not one malfunction.

I ran 2 mags of HST 124 through each and then 2 mags of 115 silver tip through each.

I took them apart to clean and lube prior to the trip. These guns are quite new looking inside. Yeah a bit of wear on the exterior, but inside they are impeccable.

I'm very pleased with how well they functioned today.

I will clean them again and repeat a little bit more and then place em into "safe keeping" for some boys that I hope to leave a little keepsake to.

Well Eric, thanks for the really cool piece you and your brother have conjured up. Your work has really grown on me. I'm kinda a hard one to get on board sometimes.

It looks to me like you won the small 9 game IMO. Bravo!

John Stuart Mill

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #621 on: July 29, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »
Thank you Josh. . . . . Karl and I did our best on this firearm of ours. Yes, I know we had issues a couple of years ago between you and the company, but my hands were tied. Now. . . . I don't really give a darn 'bout much anymore (being retired) and I am happily saying my mind here now that I've joined the ranks of The Rohrbaugh Forum with it's true Rohrbaugh R9 enthusiasts and historians. I am very very happy to be here and thank you all for allowing it.

Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh  (just in case some folks don't know who "ecr" is. . .  ;) . . . lol)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #622 on: July 30, 2015, 08:59:01 PM »
ECR:  Just curious, What little pup did you make for yourself as a little side project and do you still pack it around from time to time?

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #623 on: July 31, 2015, 02:58:40 PM »
I have one I made early on and I recently gave it to my 30 year old son out west. Serial Number:  ECR-000-1

It was the early hard anodized frame with a black slide with the sides polished.  That look ended up being what we named: The Stealth Elite Model.

I also, in the last year of production, made an specially treated frame and slide that looked "golden" in color with all of the polished parts from The Elite Premium Model in place. My brother needed an R9 near the  end, so I gave it to him. Now we wants to sell it. . . . I guess he forgot I gave it to him and I really built it for myself. Oh well. . . . that's family woes for you.  lol.   I'll see if I can discuss this issue with him in a good manner as time goes on. . . . . I would really like to have that one back. . . . It was MINT!   :-\
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #624 on: July 31, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
I don't carry much around my area anymore as I don't feel the need at this time, but when I do carry, I usually carry my blued 1965 Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog with the 3" tapered barrel, bobbed hammer and Pachmayr grips, no holster, front "Mexican Carry". . . . (my choice). Ammunition is either Cor-Bon 165gr. JHP or Speer Gold Dot "Personal Protection" 220 gr. GDHP. The Cor-Bon have a velocity of 1050fps and an energy force of 404ft/lbs. I like big bullets. . . . . . on occasion, I will carry my Colt .45 Lightweight Combat Commander that Karl gave me 25 years ago that I had Wayne Novak work the top end and sights up for me. Great gun, just too heavy for everyday carry. . . . . Hence ~ "The Bic Pen of Revolvers" . . . . The Bulldog in .44 Special.   ;)       

I like things vintage. . . . that is my passion, however, when I have felt the need to have something with me for self protection, but it needed to be "discreet", I have an R9 I drop in my pocket. Although I have a like new 1964 S&W blued model 36 (bone stock), I'd rather that for the collection and never carry it. Once at a retail store where there was a very large aggravated man in my face, the R9 gave me comfort. Luckily, nothing happened. . . . . I'm sure he had no idea I was packing either, I simply used discretion to defuse the threat. . . . . thank God that worked well as my hand was in my pocket, just not on the gun itself, but ready none the less. 

PS: Sorry about the huge photos. . . . . Not computer savvy enough to reduce it.   :-[

PS~PS: I am amazed that this thread has almost 22 THOUSAND views! Wow!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:57:08 PM by ECR »

Offline mannylinda

• Expert
« Reply #625 on: July 31, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »
Thank you for the inside scoop.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #626 on: October 18, 2015, 09:13:57 PM »
Ran 7 more HST 124 gr from 7 yards tonight.

100%

I've carried these since the last time I shot it several months back.

Hopefully backup9 approves. I have FINALLY gotten to a point where I'm taking a little advice from the sage group here.

I totally agree that this is the way the firearm should be proven occasionally. Probably less and less for me as time goes by and confidence remains high IMO.

Here is a question for you Eric: every time a round is hand chambered to make it ready for carry and then hand ejected to make it ready for the safe again should that be counted as 2 rounds of wear on the recoil spring? I use mine once a week as I go to church and am unable to carry IWB and this has been my practice. This is the equivalent of 100 rounds a year. I know springs are cheap, but it's just one more pain to keep up with. Thanks in advance for the help on this question.

Lovin my R9's.

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #627 on: October 19, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »
If you put it back into the safe why do you need to eject the loaded round to make the gun secure? I know you have children at home but just ejecting the round in the barrel doesn't make the gun safe if the loaded mag is still in the gun. My HST in the pipe usually never leaves it unless I pull the trigger.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #628 on: October 19, 2015, 05:44:33 PM »
No Josh. . . . . Just cycling the slide to remove or replace a round is not affecting the recoil spring count as it is not taking the hit from a round being fired. Different set of dynamics in play Good Sir!  ;-)

Eric R.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #629 on: October 19, 2015, 10:53:58 PM »
If you put it back into the safe why do you need to eject the loaded round to make the gun secure? I know you have children at home but just ejecting the round in the barrel doesn't make the gun safe if the loaded mag is still in the gun. My HST in the pipe usually never leaves it unless I pull the trigger.

I have a few too many guns in my rotation to be honest. I have made it my practice to only chamber a round in a weapon I'm carrying. May not be necessary for some, but my people tend to be a slightly scatter brained folk from time to time and I have found myself fooling around with a pistol for a solid 30 seconds before actually thinking "is there a round in this chamber?" Not good. So I elimainate that by unloading prior to re safing. Then no finger on the trigger. Then racking and inspecting the firearm prior to messing with it.

If it's a weapon I'm carrying or bedside it's hot and always treated as such.

Good question. Probably overkill for some people.

I do use the R9 and one other pistol most of the time and can just holster them in the safe with the round chambered. Perhaps I will consider modifying my practice.

Thanks for the good idea tracker.

John Stuart Mill