Author Topic: RM380 Remington's new 380 review  (Read 13147 times)

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
RM380 Remington's new 380 review
« on: April 06, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »

Offline jm17

Re: RM380 Remington's new 380 review
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »
Looks very familiar. Personally don't care much for American type mag release in a pocket gun. Kinda like the slide stop though.  If it was a 9mm it might be something.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »

Yes, I can't believe there was not even a passing mention of the Rohrbaugh connection...  Remington is clearly not playing up that angle, but you would think the author would figure it out.

I am always searching for an angle when reviewing yet another .380 pocket auto, and that would have been an interesting one.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »
I agree,not a mention of Rohrbaugh?! But since they say 200 years of Remington behind this gun,can't go wrong!! ;)

From what I could see they look fairly rough also. I think I'll stick with my Pups in 9mm...
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 07:39:37 AM »
The only mention of "The Rohrbaugh Connection" I can see is within the follow-up comments made about the RM380 by "John Q. Public" who know about Rohrbaugh. I find it odd that the writers/test people at FirearmBlog.Com, when speaking with the folks at Remington, did not hear about the connection of the main design being a Rohrbaugh, and that they themselves seem to be unaware that fact. I wonder if they were told not to mention that part. Well, according to them, the fact that they spoke with "the three designers" and not one mentioned the connection? Really? Whatever, moving on, being they did maintain the aluminum (metal - no plastic) frame, this little pistol may do well if Remington steps up to the plate and produces a fine sidearm this time. I would also like to see them reintroduce their R51 in 9mm once they get things worked out with it. Yes, there are many "bean counters" watching, but if those same "bean counters" want to continue to count beans, they had better start producing Remingtons like they did back in the 1950s, '60s and 70s to bring their company back to life. People who purchase firearms enjoy a finely made firearm and would pay for them too. If they do that, they would be on a track of recovery, which would be good for everyone. It is still an American company. I would love to see them come back to life here in the U.S. and the general public should not "poo poo" every single thing they try without giving it a chance. I'll give them a shot. . . . . I just hope they can find the right formula to pull off a good turnaround after their recent "debacles", as many call it today. I wish them well with the RM380. Time will tell whether they make it happen proudly or not. That's up to them, not us. Run Little .380 ~ Run! As the old saying goes: "Make it (right), and they will come".    ;)
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:44:34 PM »
"Hope and change"?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »
Ha ha. . . . I know what you're saying, Hope and Change. . . . . . . That didn't work on the Federal level two terms ago.  Just sayin' ...........
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
I wonder what changes Remmington made to the Rohrbaugh 380? The first thing I noticed was that the grips are molded into the frame. What else?

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »
Hm, okay I found the list of differences. Quite a few actually. I'm wondering about the recoil system they supposedly changed radically so it will last thousands of rounds. Any details on that?

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 05:08:19 PM »
Hello there Jarcher,

Well, you most likely found out that the frame is aluminum, as was the original. The grips are not part of the frame, but screwed on like the originals. The design change to the recoil system they made was to go with two springs full length. . . . . One smaller one counter wound inside the larger outside one. We were working on going full length flat springs for both the R9 and the R380, but sold the business prior to getting that update completed. Another thing they did was to incorporate a slide lock so it stays open after the last round, moved the mag release from where it belonged (on the bottom of the frame) to either side of the frame so it is now ambidextrous. So far, those are the main changes I can see right off on the RM380.

Eric R.

Offline RAZR1955

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
AS TO THE REMINGTON, ''YOU CAN PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG BUT IT IS STILL A PIG'' I'LL STICK WITH THE ''ORIGINAL'' ROHRBOUGH

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 09:58:40 AM »
Atta boy Razr!  8)

. . . . . I see you are about my age too.  1953 here.   ;)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »
My father was a Sicilian who used to tell me all the time " No matter how many times you wash a donkeys head, you still have a donkeys head! ". 1954 here.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Buckheart

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 06:23:19 AM »
You "old guys" are funny. 1956 here. What I used to hear all the time in regards to people who thought that their levels of higher education made them immune to error was, You can stack all the books you want to on the back of a donkey but it's still a donkey. That being said let's wait and see how all the design changes play out in the field.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 03:22:35 PM »
Somehow, I think they may actually get the RM380 right (Hoping so anyway) because it may be the thing they need (and have!) to bring them out of the hole they made for themselves with the R51.  Just a thought anyway.