Author Topic: Alignment issue? with my R9  (Read 13023 times)

Offline minnesotaguy

Alignment issue? with my R9
« on: September 28, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »
Love my R9, but….

Sometimes when I rack the slide, or while shooting, the end of the recoil rod gets stuck on the opening of the slide (see photos).   This prevents me from racking the slide.   Simple fix, as all one has to do is push the rod back into the opening of the slide.  But appears that something is out of alignment.

Fortunately the R9 always seems to cycle OK with this issue.   But most of the time while shooting, when I go to replace the mag, the slide does not rack and I have to push the rod back into place.

Hopefully a simple solution for this.

Tom

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: Alignment issue? with my R9
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »
I've never had that happen.  Is the guide rod bent?  Is the end cap in place properly?  Did you install a new spring that has a smaller outer diameter that would cause the rod to not center itself in the end cap properly? 

Offline minnesotaguy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:57:29 PM »
Thanks Phil - Good responses.

The end cap is on properly, and the guide rod seems to be straight.

But just recently replaced the recoil spring (from Wolff Gunsprings)...  maybe the spring is out of spec.   I will try putting on a new recoil spring to see what happens.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 12:01:28 AM »
Did the problem start after the new spring?  If so, I would try a different spring from a different lot to see if that fixes the problem.

Offline minnesotaguy

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
Continuing Saga     :)

Well...  Tried a new recoil spring (new lot) on the R9 and the same thing happened, so we can rule that out.

Fortunately have a 2nd R9 to compare.   The difference seems to be that the problem R9 has the main recoil rod that does not stay centered in the slide opening (when racking the slide)(main rod actually is recessed in the pistol not allowing the extended part of the rod to stay centered) which allows the extended portion of the rod to be miss-centered and get caught in the opening.   

The other non-problem R9 has the main recoil rod stay centered as the main part of the rod stays within the opening (when racking the slide), not allowing the extended part of the rod to get caught.

Have taken photos of the main recoil rods of both R9's.   The problem one is right.  Interesting to note that the end nubs of the two rods are different sizes.

Problem R9 is serial # 29xx, OK R9 is serial # 19xx

Maybe it is time to purchase and replace the problem recoil rod?   Any thoughts?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:24:21 PM »
Why not exchange your good recoil rod into the problem pistol and see how that works to isolate the issue.

Offline minnesotaguy

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »
Tracker - Great common-sense suggestion.  Common sense is something that I obviously need more of....

Put the good recoil rod into the problem pistol...  and the problem went away.  Looks like I need a new recoil rod.

Is that something that can be obtained from Williams Gun Sights?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Sometimes the obvious escapes us, but I would think that Williams has those in stock. However, from other posts I have read here they may require that you send the R9 to them for the replacement guide rod. Alex will be able to answer your needs.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »
Did you try tightening the Spring Retaining Disk?  If this is loose, the rod gains a fraction of a mm and will extended past the frame.

Offline minnesotaguy

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
Yes...  The spring retaining disc seems tight

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »
One last thing to check, do you have the end cap toward the end of the guide rod or in the middle of the rod when assembled?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:55:09 PM by PhilZ »

Offline minnesotaguy

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 03:48:36 PM »
End cap has always been placed at the end of the guide rod.

This pistol was flawless through the first 100 rounds.   In its previous history, one can tell that it was fired a great deal and carried a great deal...  a little rough around the edges.    It may be to the point where the guide rod has just plain worn out.

I certainly appreciate the helpfulness of everyone here.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »
To me, the back chamfer on the recoil rod wasnt machined from the factory and may be the problem, based on your pictures. If the recoil rod from your other gun makes this gun work correctly then I would call Williams and get a new one ordered. An entire recoil assembly from Williams, springs and all is only $30. I bought one last year and they had plenty then.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
Minnesotaguy. . . . . . I have plenty of those recoil systems. PM me your address and I'll send one to you no charge. You will need to use your outer recoil spring and end cap, but the rest of the system I'll send you is new old stock. I have a bunch of those from our shop.

Regards,

Eric Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline minnesotaguy

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
PM sent

The kindness of Eric and everyone else on this forum is much appreciated.   You are all great problem solvers and willing to share your vast knowledge.

Thanks

Tom