Author Topic: Current (Sept, 2020) Rohrbaugh Market Prices  (Read 5655 times)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Current (Sept, 2020) Rohrbaugh Market Prices
« on: September 01, 2020, 01:26:57 PM »
Hi all,

It has been a while since a I posted. I got really into collecting R9s about 10 years ago and ended up with quite a collection. I was thinking of selling a few but after looking at recent gunbroker auctions it appears the market for these is much softer than it once was. What are peoples thoughts on this and do you think it will stay soft for years to come. In my opinion the R9 is still a very unique and special gun and I think it is unlikely that another company will make something of its quality ever again.

I have a bunch of Elites, 3 Elite Premiums, R1000 engraved, Karl's personal gun #R9, 117&118 No R prefix, 321 Silver Fame No R prefix among others. Not looking to sell them all but was going to put one or two up for sale but wont if there isn't a market for them.

Best,
Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Re: Current (Sept, 2020) Rohrbaugh Market Prices
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 05:48:36 PM »
The market is pretty soft right now for R9s. Has anyone had any luck selling an R9 on commission at a local firearms dealer?  A local shop near me has very little inventory and I was thinking about selling an R9 through them.  Usually when selling online, the buyer has to search for your exact model for yours to pop up.  In the shop, if it’s one of only a few handguns in the shop, people are going to look it over even if it’s not what they walked in to buy. 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 06:51:17 PM »
I'll say the market is soft, especially seeing this "Rohrbaugh 9mm R9S Stealth NEW in BOX NO RESERVE" go for $805.00

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/876899681

PhilZ, you may be on to something, if you need to sell.  I'm seeing a lot of inflated prices in gun shops and empty shelves in normal retail outlets like Academy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:04:12 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
Welcome back Ryan! I think that the market is soft for your usual Rohrbaughs. There are some new collectors out there on GB that will step up to the plate for special Rohrbaughs, of which you have many. I would test the waters with one on GB and see what happens. JMO. Good luck!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:34:47 AM »
It is not just Rohrbaughs which are soft, just about the whole collectible gun market is down.

The Auto Mag market is as bad as I have ever seen it right now.  Colts are down also.

Two bright spots are Bren Tens which are way up but that is a very very small market. Gen 3 Smith and Wesson Performance Center Autos are doing well also.  Again there are quite a few different Models but with very low numbers.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 08:24:25 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome back. I always enjoyed the friendly nature of this forum. I will let folks know how it goes if I decide to let one go. First to go would likely be one of the Elites to test the waters.

Thanks again for your help.
Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 09:15:24 PM »
If you’d consider parting with Premium Elite and a Robar, I’d be interested.
Thank you,
Chris

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 12:43:39 PM »
Sometimes my personal messages seem to not go through. You’re most welcome to respond to my email, chrisodasso@comcast.net

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
I'll say the market is soft, especially seeing this "Rohrbaugh 9mm R9S Stealth NEW in BOX NO RESERVE" go for $805.00

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/876899681

PhilZ, you may be on to something, if you need to sell.  I'm seeing a lot of inflated prices in gun shops and empty shelves in normal retail outlets like Academy.

That gun sold at least three times. I asked the seller about the finish issue on the slide and on the third time it sold he changed his listing to say that it was not rust, but a poorly applied finish, which is what he also emailed me. Why would he advertise it as new then? I really couldn't tell what was going on with that finish from the photos. The second time it sold for I think $700 and the third time it was around $800 again I think. I'd have to go back and look though. I'm not sure if the third sale went through either as I just really wasn't interested in that particular piece anymore and didn't follow up.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 11:46:01 AM »
I see a pair on Gunbroker today.

A regular R9s with a opening price of $1,699!  I want to know what Dixie Gunworx (something named 'Dixie' in Utah? Really guys??)  is smoking.  Trying to sell it at that price, I need to know what damages your brain that badly so I can avoid it.

There is another one a couple of bidders have gotten up to $605.

Couple of magazines around $90-100 with zero bids.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 04:09:33 PM »
I see a pair on Gunbroker today.

A regular R9s with a opening price of $1,699!  I want to know what Dixie Gunworx (something named 'Dixie' in Utah? Really guys??)  is smoking.  Trying to sell it at that price, I need to know what damages your brain that badly so I can avoid it.

There is another one a couple of bidders have gotten up to $605.

Couple of magazines around $90-100 with zero bids.

People often list things on gunjoker trolling for a sucker like they do on the classifieds of most gun sites. A lot of these vampire run pawn shops and other places do that quite a bit. Most people who are actually interested in selling will either start it at $.01 and let it go for the duration, or list it for a normal price. I see the one for $1,699 opening bid and I'm assuming that guy has level 4 brain damage. But I wouldn't be shocked if he got a bid either. All of the R9's I've bought from 2005 to present have been in the $750-$950 price range.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 04:14:24 PM by PsychoSword »

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »
I was wondering if there was something special about that gun to make it worth $1699

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »
I was wondering if there was something special about that gun to make it worth $1699

It looks to be a nice example and I certainly wouldn't mind owning it. But this isn't a $1700 gun. There's nothing special or unusual about it that I can see.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
There was a prior member who used to list items for way too high in order to give the impression of a higher market. He even bragged about bidding up items he didn't intend to buy.

Offline PsychoSword

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 08:24:55 PM »
There was a prior member who used to list items for way too high in order to give the impression of a higher market. He even bragged about bidding up items he didn't intend to buy.

I suspect that in a lot of auctions to be honest. I always at least look over the list of bidders these days if there are any.