Author Topic: Today We Give Thanks  (Read 3080 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Today We Give Thanks
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 05:13:23 PM »
Several weeks ago my wife went in for surgery of a basal-cell carcinoma on her lower right eyelid. It was scheduled for early morning but they discovered that she had a heart rate of 34, so the surgery was cancelled. We then went to a Cardiologist who confirmed the problem and by eight o'clock that evening she had a pacemaker. She had the basal-cell removed by Mohs surgery this morning and all is well, apparently.

Good to hear Tracker.   God's prayers for her.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 05:15:11 PM »
Thanks Chris, but at 62 you are just middle-aged.  Wait until you are on the far side of 78.  At 60, I noted that things rattled a bit when I hit a bump.  At 70 they rattled a lot.  At 75, pieces started to drop off!   ;)

Looks like it's time to pick up some Gorilla Tape for those pieces falling off!    ::)   LOL
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 05:16:08 PM »
We can all gripe about the problems with medical care in the U.S., but it is a quantum leap better than most anywhere else, and miracles are performed every hour of every day somewhere in this great country.

True there Sir!

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 11:58:32 AM »
Tracker,

It’s a blessing they found your wife’s need for the pacemaker and placed it so quickly! 
I hope that the eye surgery heals up quickly and she is not uncomfortable for too long.

Let’s all celebrate our entry into 2022.  I think the best way to do it is to thank the Lord for all of his blessings on us, and… buy a whole bunch of new guns!   :)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2021, 02:38:23 PM »
Thank you, Chris, for the kind words; the stitches are removed on Wednesday so things are on the mend. Yes, it was very fortuitous to find the coronary issue. She had no symptoms of a low heart rate previously. To confirm what John said about our extraordinary medical care in this country my wife checked into cardio central with her pacemaker via iPhone today.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 09:02:22 PM by tracker »

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 09:14:15 PM »
Good news then. 
Nobody likes a doctor messing around with their eyes.  It’ll be good when Wednesday is done.

On the “celebrating” side,  I have a cabin in the northwestern portion of PA.  It’s near Cook’s Forest.  I’ve ran into black bears several times over the years.  They aren’t aggressive, but they are intimidating.   One time this huge fella looked me and my mother over as he moved across the other side of the pond.  He obviously had somewhere to go and were not worth breaking his stride for.  Two years ago, one of my Italian Greyhounds went out of sight for a couple of minutes.  I went running up the path, toward our dump, to find her.  We have plenty of coyotes.  There was the dog, stopped dead in her tracks. Thank God she wasn’t one if my trusting, love-everything dogs! 3 cubs and 1 mother were working over the dump.  This greyhound was fawn in color, just like a small dear.  Suffice to say, after hearing stories all the time about bears killing fawns, it was a scary.  My NAA .22 offered little comfort.  I grabbed her up and we slowly backed away.

I started carrying real protection from then on.  Glock 20 for awhile.  Then I bought a Sig Rattler in 300 Blackout, with a Sig suppressor.  I haven’t shot it yet, but with only a 5” barrel, I don’t feel adequately equipped.  Need a little more barrel to develop some velocity.

So… I’m hoping Desert Tech comes out with a new conversion kit for their MDRX, (a supposedly accurate bullpup),in SBR configuration.  I suppose Shot Show would be the unveiling.   They have an 11.5” barrel, 5.56, so it’s the next logical step.  It would be the perfect answer for me, because I want it to be so small, I can fling it over my shoulder and forget it’s there.  Trips to the pond are exploring, not about self-preservation.  Besides, with subsonic rounds, I might just find something to shoot at for fun.

And, Mike In Texas, I read about your recently revived revolver interest.  Don’t do it to us!  Last time Cargaritaville talked about the appeal of a Weatherby, look how much it ended up costing us.
Having said that, my Smith & Wesson PD340 was the hardest gun for me to sell.  What a beauty!

Now get out there and celebrate a little!  :). Chris

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2021, 09:30:18 PM »
We have an Italian Greyhound named Enzo.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2021, 11:07:11 PM »
I think I saw a picture of Enzo back in 2017.  Fabulous greyhound!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 09:44:56 AM »
Ok Chris, I'll try and keep my newfound revolver fetish hidden from public view.

Don't worry about that .300 not having the stopping power.  Grab some supersonic rounds and at short ranges you should be good.  That can will knock down the sound pretty good on those.  Maybe a bit of a crack, but your ears should be fine, especially in an emergency.  Carry a second mag with your subs in case you see something you need to tag.

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2021, 01:58:23 PM »
Sounds good, Mike, thank you.

But I still want that ugly MDRX, Micron length in 300! 

I’m celebrating!  :)

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
Oh and, one more rationalization.  I think that weight in the back of a bullpup should do nicely balance the weight of the Helix OSS I have.

I love the mechanics of revolvers.  If it doesn’t work when you are depending on it, well, there’s solace in knowing it was just fate!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2021, 07:38:03 PM »
Sighted them in today.  Spent a productive hour at the range.  Got the ladies 6 shot with the laser grip dead on at 7 yards.  Did the same for a new to me 5 shot with the same model Viridian laser. (1/2 the price from Taurus than what they sell for on Amazon)  Put a few rounds through a 1911 to make sure the new barrel works with the TiRant suppressor.  Finally ended the session with the Vortex red dot on the G19.  Did not have to adjust anything on it, 1st shot was center of the bull.  That will never happen again with a new install. 

I had the R9 in the pocket the entire time, had ammo, but did not put any rounds through it.  May get a chance later this week to shoot again and that will be the time to take it out for a little exercise.

Be Safe Out There guys and get yourselves and families well.